cheap miniature 'rope'

  • eddie_climo@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
      Rope, as we all know only too well, cost much more
      than we would like it to. It may also not be very easy
      to get hold, depending on where you live. My taste
      runs to decorative knotting in finer cord (small
      stuff), and I've found a couple of cheap sources you
      might find useful.

      1. Macramé Thread. 'Cotton Seine Twine,' right-hand
      hard-laid 3-strand cotton, 100 yard (91 metres) spool,
      'medium 18's size' (diameter 1/40", about 0.64mm). I
      bought this second hand. so I'm not sure of the cost
      new, but I think it was not expensive when I last saw
      it in a craft shop.
      Made by Atlas Handicrafts Limited, Preston,England PR1
      3XS (no URL that I could find).

      2. Builders Line. This is the second, and more
      accessible, source is. It can be bought from many
      builders' merchants in Britain. It's almost identical
      to the macramé thread in terms of its lay, but comes
      in at least 2 diameters (No.3 is 1/40", no.2 slightly
      thinner), and with a choice of nylon or cotton. An
      18-metre (20-yard) hank costs 70p (about $1 US).
      British made, branded as Cardoc Cord (no URL).

      Any of these cords makes excellent knotwork covers for
      eg. tool handles, and would make perfect miniature
      knots for model ships. If you've got good eyesight,
      you could even splice it!

      You can have, as they say, any colour you like as long
      as it's white! Now if anyone could tell me how to dye
      it a different colour...

      This is not so cheap, but Builders' Merchants also
      sell a hard-braided Sash Cord (for hanging your sash
      windows, not for going round your waist!) in nylon or
      cotton, diameters from about 1/8" to 1/4", some plain
      white, some with a coloured fleck in the weave. Costs
      about 40p to 70p per yard/per metre. This stuff is so
      hard-laid, I've been able to make a hollow, spherical
      4b x 5p Turk's Head without a core, which can hold its
      shape through the rigidity of this cord.

      Finally, in the Wickes DIY store here in Plymouth,
      I've seen hanks of 5mm braided polypropylene rope in
      white, at much lower prices than the marine chandlers
      sell it for. Not quite as hard-laid as the marine
      stuff, but still very usable.

      Eddie Climo
      eddie_climo@...

    • bgknots
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
        Eddie Climo wrote:

        > You can have, as they say, any colour you like as long
        > as it's white! Now if anyone could tell me how to dye
        > it a different colour...

        I have used Dylon that I purchased from a craft store on the nylon
        type cord. I have not done it with cotton. I had no knowledge or
        previous experience of dying so I just followed their instructions.
        I thought the results were great!

        Lessons learned:

        1. One little tub of Dylon dyes great lengths of cord all at one
        time!
        2. Take time to tie the hank of cord so it doesn't become a tangled
        mess. I still have to untangle to use blue.
        3. The longer the cord stays in the die the darker it gets. Keep an
        eye on it to get the colour saturation that you want!
        4. After dying, rinse the cord very well! I still get a little blue
        on my hands. I thought it didn't need to be rinsed that well ... Duh!

        Careful readers will correctly guess that blue was my first attempt!
        :-). Lastly, I was so pleased to finally find a use for the
        stainless steel Dutch oven that I should have thrown out years
        ago! :-)

        Have fun - Brian.
      • Kim J. Kubasek
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2005
          There is a wealth of materials offered at the following site:
          http://www.macramesuperstore.com/

          I have used their "Bonnie Braid" 6-millimeter cord, which comes in 50 and
          100 feet, 120 colors.

          They also have 4mm and 8mm and "Amy Cord" in 2mm. They have twisted cords
          too made of various fibers.

          Follow the small horizontal menu to "cords" then to the first item "Bonnie
          Braid."

          They have another interface at:

          http://www.macramesuperstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT
          <http://www.macramesuperstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=
          M> &Store_Code=M

          with a good index down the left.

          I hope you can find something you like there.

          Best wishes,

          Kim J. Kubasek

          Arroyo Grande, California

        • Kim J. Kubasek
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2005
            P.S. I discovered that if you do a GOOGLE search on "Pepperell Braiding
            Company", the parent company, you will find links to several market-specific
            web sites featuring some additional cords made for specific purposes.

            Kim

            There is a wealth of materials offered at the following site:
            http://www.macramesuperstore.com/

            I have used their "Bonnie Braid" 6-millimeter cord, which comes in 50 and
            100 feet, 120 colors.

            They also have 4mm and 8mm and "Amy Cord" in 2mm. They have twisted cords
            too made of various fibers.

            Follow the small horizontal menu to "cords" then to the first item "Bonnie
            Braid."

            They have another interface at:

            http://www.macramesuperstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT
            <http://www.macramesuperstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT
            <http://www.macramesuperstore.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=
            > &Store_Code=
            M> &Store_Code=M

            with a good index down the left.

            I hope you can find something you like there.

            Best wishes,

            Kim J. Kubasek

            Arroyo Grande, California

            _____