Anyone familiar with spike Africa knotting?

  • mandevilla61
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2005
      Helo! I am new to the group! I am interested in macrame, and am glad to
      have found this gruop. I have not done macrame since jr.high school,
      so I am a beginner. I found a photo in Macrame: Creative Design in
      Knotting by Dona Meilach of something caled spike Africa knotting. It
      is done on a bottle, starting at the neck. No instructions are given. I
      do not have the experience to say what sort of knots they are, or how
      to do them.Anyone have any info? I am planning on getting more
      experience before trying it, but the photo inspired me.

      Mandevilla61
    • eddie_climo@yahoo.co.uk
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 5:14 AM
        A search on Google turned up the information that
        Spike Africa was a celebrated sailor, schoonerman and
        boat racer based in San Francisco and Hawaii; he
        styled himself 'The President (or "Mayor") of the
        Pacific.' I guess he might have tied the odd knot in
        his maritime career, but Google is mute on the
        subject.
        Eddie Climo

        ...I found a photo in Macrame: Creative Design in
        Knotting by Dona Meilach of something caled spike
        Africa knotting. It
        is done on a bottle, starting at the neck. No
        instructions are given. I
        do not have the experience to say what sort of knots
        they are, or how
        to do them.Anyone have any info? I am planning on
        getting more
        experience before trying it, but the photo inspired
        me.

        Mandevilla61

        Knot
        tying Privacy
        setting Hobby

        Craft hobby Hobby
        and craft supply
        Hobby magazine

        Terms of Service.

      • almac882@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2 9:49 PM
          Spike Africa, President of the Pacific Ocean, was in San Francisco in the
          mid-sixties when I was out there. I heard about him but we never met. I was
          working at a marina in Oakland at the time. I did run across a couple of the
          columns he wrote on knots - I think it was in National Fisherman - in the seventies.
          Sorry, that's all the info I have. I may still have the magazines but it
          might be easier to e-mail National Fisherman and ask about him. They seem to
          respond very well.

          Al McMaster