New member

  • stwood68
    Message 1 of 14 , May 8, 2005
      I just got the acceptance E-mail a few minutes ago and here I am. I am
      mostly a leather braider, but in looking at recent posts, the first
      one I opened had a couple of links that lead to information I have
      been searching for. I have lately been obsessed with turksheads and
      interweave for them and the material was a revelation for me.
      Thank you
      Sidney Wood
      Clyde Tx
    • Markie Madden
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 25, 2005
        Hi everyone, I am new to the group. I have a horse
        (soon to be another one, I hope) and I am looking on
        information on good knots to use for tying horses to
        posts. The one I have now likes to pull on his tie,
        and though I am trying to teach him otherwise, every
        time he pulls and gets away, it reinforces his
        behavior, that he can escape when he wants to. I need
        a knot that will not tighten up so tight that I can't
        get it loose, or one that's a safety knot, where my
        horse can't free himself but I could pull on an end in
        an emergency situation and free him. I also want to
        learn how to tie a Tom Fool's knot, as that makes a
        good quick halter to use on horses. Thank you and
        have a Merry Christmas!
        Marguerite

        Live long, laugh hard, love horses.

        __________________________________
      • Eddie Climo
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 26, 2005
          Hi Markie,

          Welcome to the group. You might want to download a
          free book I mentioned in a recent post:

          ...//snip//...
          ...there’s a free knot book
          available for downloading which might be useful for
          your Scouts. It’s an HTML version (with graphics) of
          classic work:
             Knots, Splices and Rope Work by A. Hyatt Verrill,
          and it’s a 2MB zip file download from:
          http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/13510
          ...//snip//...

          His ‘Slippery Hitch’ (figs. 32, 33) is close to what
          you need. Verrill even has some pix of how to put a
          rope halter on to your steed.

          But a better knot is one we learned about in the
          Scouts: the delightfully named ‘Highwayman’s Hitch’,
          which you’ll find at:

          http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/highwaymanshitch.htm

          ...along with lots of other useful knots. If you want
          to look elsewhere, putting the name of the knot into
          Google gives a couple of thousand hits, so you should
          find what you want there.

          By the way, there are lots of good sites on horsey
          matters, some of which show you how to make braided
          leather tack. Also, there’s some excellent-looking
          books on Amazon on leather braiding.

          Happy Hogmanay,

          Eddie Climo.

          --- Markie Madden <naddya819@...> wrote:
          ---------------------------------
          ...I am looking on information on good knots to use
          for tying horses to posts ...

          Eddie Climo
          eddie_climo@...

        • André
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 26, 2005
            Hi,

            I don't remember where I read it, but There seem to be a couple of
            errors in this book. Please be careful with just taking everything for
            granted you read in this book.

            happy christmas

            André

            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Climo <eddie_climo@y...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Markie,
            >
            > Welcome to the group. You might want to download a
            > free book I mentioned in a recent post:
            >
            > ...//snip//...
            > ...there's a free knot book
            > available for downloading which might be useful for
            > your Scouts. It's an HTML version (with graphics) of
            > classic work:
            >    Knots, Splices and Rope Work by A. Hyatt Verrill,
            > and it's a 2MB zip file download from:
            > http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/13510
            > ...//snip//...
            >
            > His `Slippery Hitch' (figs. 32, 33) is close to what
            > you need. Verrill even has some pix of how to put a
            > rope halter on to your steed.
            >
            > But a better knot is one we learned about in the
            > Scouts: the delightfully named `Highwayman's Hitch',
            > which you'll find at:
            >
            > http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/highwaymanshitch.htm
            >
            > ...along with lots of other useful knots. If you want
            > to look elsewhere, putting the name of the knot into
            > Google gives a couple of thousand hits, so you should
            > find what you want there.
            >
            > By the way, there are lots of good sites on horsey
            > matters, some of which show you how to make braided
            > leather tack. Also, there's some excellent-looking
            > books on Amazon on leather braiding.
            >
            > Happy Hogmanay,
            >
            > Eddie Climo.
            >
            > --- Markie Madden <naddya819@y...> wrote:
            > ---------------------------------
            > ...I am looking on information on good knots to use
            > for tying horses to posts ...
            >
            > Eddie Climo
            > eddie_climo@y...

            Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com

          • jb_fan_jb
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 11, 2008
              Happy Friday!

              My name is Jerry and I work with Scouts in Southeast Arkansas. While
              not using rope everyday at my real job, I've done quite a bit of rope
              work while fishing boating, canoing and scuba diving. Several years
              ago I took a knots specialty course through PADI, a scuba certifying
              agency. It was the equivalent of a Boy Scout merit badge course.

              I look forward to studying the posts, files and photos and learning
              all I can to use with our local BSA Troop.

              Have a great weekend!

              jb
            • william gura

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 29 9:37 AM
                  I am a new member thank you for accept my request. Costa Rica is my
                  home, I love knots, specially decorative ones. I am here to learn from
                  you, so at the beginning I'll be quiet and listening. Thank you again.
                • Lindsey Philpott
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 29 9:15 PM
                    Welcome Rene,

                    We shall look forward to seeing some of your favorite knots here!

                    Lindsey
                    Board Member IGKTPAB