Assisted Knives!

  • April
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 3 2:17 PM
      I learned a great lesson over the weekend!

      Never go to sleep with an assisted knife in your back pocket! No I did not
      cut my "hind off" but when it was sticking me, I reached in and really
      sliced my finger! I was sailing off the coast and it took two days to stop
      the bleeding. I still had to haul anchor lines and such. I kept my sailing
      gloves on over a ton of gauze to apply pressure.

      April

    • bgknots
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 4 6:01 AM
        Readn Fool wrote:
        > Again with the moving excuse, but I remember a couple of months ago
        > there was someone's PHD or MS thesis about knots and Marine
        archeology
        > based on examining the remains of shipwrecks.
        >
        > I downloaded it at the time, but that computer is not currently
        accessable.

        Thank you for the information that Charlton's MA thesis, 'Rope and
        the Art of Knot-Tying in the Seafaring of the Ancient Eastern
        Mediterranean' is finally accessible over the internet! Over the
        years, the abstract has been such a tease! :-).

        For those interested, to find the .pdf file of the thesis, first go
        here: http://nautarch.tamu.edu/anth/abstracts/charlton.html .

        The link at the bottom of the abstract brings you to an index
        of .pdf files. His is titled: Charlton-MA1996.pdf.

        Thanks again RNF! - Brian.
      • J. Scott Broda
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 4 9:00 PM
          OMG, Ms April........OUCH!!!!!!
          Next time, you might want to wrap a Rubberband around it to keep the blade in. The band should be easily removed one handed so you can access the blade in an emergency, but not let it out while you are sleeping. I know this is a little like locking the barn door after the horses have run off, but .......at least you still have nine healthy horses left....
          SIncerely,

          Knotsman......aka.........Scott

          April <notetoapril@...> wrote:
          I learned a great lesson over the weekend!

          Never go to sleep with an assisted knife in your back pocket! No I did not
          cut my "hind off" but when it was sticking me, I reached in and really
          sliced my finger! I was sailing off the coast and it took two days to stop
          the bleeding. I still had to haul anchor lines and such. I kept my sailing
          gloves on over a ton of gauze to apply pressure.

          April

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • April
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 5 9:03 AM
            Scott,

            I did find a marvelous band aid. They are called Advanced healing and they
            stick on for over a week! I was able to go back to using all digits. Yes,
            next time I shall put the knife on a lanyard or and take it out of my pocket
            before going to sleep. It was a long day, my pockets were full. I could
            not tell what was a key or a knife or a time piece.

            I think the crew was more disturbed than I, they kept asking if I felt
            faint. The sad truth is that I am horrible around knives and as I home
            school my kids they are quite fed up of looking at my Blood Cells under the
            Microscope.. I don't know if being left handed has anything to do with it,
            I do know that at one time I had a left handed Swiss Army Knife, before it
            went overboard. and I had not cut myself on that ever. You see even the
            locking mechanisms require that I push with the "wrong hand" the "wrong
            way". That is why I wanted an assisted knife.

            I did order a new knife which is very interesting. It is assisted but one
            does not have to have it all the way open to cut rope! It has curves in the
            handles and one finds the curve that fits the rope intended, then the blade
            is semi opened and the rope placed in the groove..then one just squeezes the
            blade against the handle groove! This prevents the sawing of rope and is
            supposed to be marvelous .according to the advertisement. We shall see.
            The positive side of this is that the knife must be semi pulled and then it
            will spring open rather than have a button type thing much like a switch
            blade! So rolling over in my sleeping bag will not danger my backside!

            We practiced knots over and over for our quiz. On every boating cruise in
            my course we get more and more knots and we must use them in order to
            fulfill the class requirements. This is really a good way to remember why
            the knots are valuable. We also had to anchor over and over. we had 4
            boats (32-40ft sloops) it appears that I need to learn as much about diesel
            engines! There is always one in the bunch which has problems. We did see
            whales though! One boat saw them breeching. There was a mom and calf near
            us..

            Thanks for the suggestion of tying around a knife, I could use a lanyard to
            just put a semi clove hitch around it until I woke up!

            April

          • J. Scott Broda
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 5 3:27 PM
              April,

              It sounds like you are gonna make a fine sailor. You are always thinking about the future, and ways to avoid accidents. Your kids are lucky to have a mom that takes an interest in their education. Good Job Mom..^5 to you.

              I have a knot that I would like you to show to your instructors. It is one that I have come up with that I have never seen used in this manor. Granted, the actual knot was invented last century, this application and tying just very well may be unique enough to be considered a new knot. It is a "Hunter's Bend" used not for tying two ropes together, but tied on the end of a single line, much as you would, a "Bowline". This application is very easy to take apart, even when put under heavy loads as is the Bowline, but, what makes it even better I think is that it holds fast under excessive motion, unlike that of a bowline. Also, you can use it on Poly line that has a strong memory where other knots tend to loosen up after time.
              I would love to hear what you and your friends think, good or bad. I use this knot often in my line of work.

              Sincerely,

              Scott

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 5 3:47 PM
                Scott,

                I don't know the Hunters bend, I will have to check through my multi-books
                for it! I have a DVD that tested bends out and they towed a large car
                behind a truck with multiple types of bends. They found that the double
                sheet bend was the strongest and the easiest to remove under a heavy load.
                I like it because I can do a "flying double-sheet bend" in a few seconds and
                I know it will hold well! Other bends either slipped out, or took far
                longer to release..

                I just checked out the Hunters bend it is interesting as the short ends are
                opposite each other and it looks fairly easy to tie. The other interesting
                thing is you pull on the standing parts which makes it easy to tie two

                Thanks!

                April

              • April
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 5 3:51 PM
                  Scott,

                  How would you tie a Hunters Bend with only one rope? It would not be a bend
                  then right, it would be a loop? I can't imagine what it would look like.
                  Would it have a slip line to remove it. like using the square not for a
                  gasket? I don't know how one would use two separate ends to wrap around
                  without using a bite to make a turn through the knot.

                  April

                • J. Scott Broda
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 6 11:13 PM
                    April,

                    You are exactly correct in noting that you can not have a "bend" to make a loop in the end of a rope. That is why I believe I have "invented" a new Loop Knot. Just as a bowline is actually a sheet bend on the end of a rope. I will try to take a few photos and send them to you.

                    This "Modified Hunter" is as I said, excelent for use on all types of rope including the very slippery stuff like Poly-rope some nylons.

                    Thanks for taking an interest. To what E-mail address should I send the Photos?

                    Sincerely,

                    Scott

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT