Re: right/left twist

  • Kenneth Chan
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
      1) The rope is horizontal in front of me. The strands are slanting
      up and to the right. This is a right twisted rope, correct??

      I think its called hawser laid or Z-laid rope.

      2) A right twisted rope should be coiled clockwise; correct? (Left
      twist - counterclockwise)

      Thats what I do. Hawser laid rope has to be uncoiled anti clockwise
      or else you'll untwist the strands.

      3) A rope should be whipped so that the whipping tightens the
      twist in the rope, correct?

      The rope should be whipped in such a way that as the strands try to
      unlay themselves the whipping gets tighter.
      Eg. Whip in a clockwise direction for hawser laid rope.

      4) One website said that the way you tie a knot should depend
      on the twist of the rope. If that is true, how should a taughtline
      hitch be tied? I see two options for making the bight (standing
      end to runnning end clockwise or counter-clockwise) and the
      rest follows. Is there a general rule about all knots?

      Hmm... Never thought of it. Usually just tie knots the right handed
      way. I'll go try and see the results. Anybody know the answer to
      this?

      --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "wefnut" <wefnut@y...> wrote:

      > While looking for some images to make a handout for a knot
      > tying workshop, I found some interesting stuff, got hooked,
      > learned how to splice (its easier than I thought) and ended up
      > here.
      >
      > I have some questions about right and left twisted rope.
      >
      > 1) The rope is horizontal in front of me. The strands are slanting
      > up and to the right. This is a right twisted rope, correct??
      >
      > 2) A right twisted rope should be coiled clockwise; correct? (Left
      > twist - counterclockwise)
      >
      > 3) A rope should be whipped so that the whipping tightens the
      > twist in the rope, correct?
      >
      > 4) One website said that the way you tie a knot should depend
      > on the twist of the rope. If that is true, how should a taughtline
      > hitch be tied? I see two options for making the bight (standing
      > end to runnning end clockwise or counter-clockwise) and the
      > rest follows. Is there a general rule about all knots?
      >
      > I've been using knots ever since Boy Scouts. I know more about
      > rope and knots than most folks. (Hence the choice of me to give
      > the workshop.) I won't let my new found ignorance interfere with
      > a lifetime of experience, but seek enlightenment.
    • April
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
        Just got home last night from a 4 day cruise off California through
        islands., should have used more sun screen, when we coil we don't care
        what angle the rope is wrapped. If it has been done the same way for a
        while it gets a memory. If it ends up with a slight figure 8 that is fine..
        we continue and then tie it off with the last few wraps. I am left handed
        and often if a rope has a "right handed" memory, coiling it left handed will
        remove the "memory" and it will coil without a figure 8. That is fine too.
        the purpose of our coiling is to get these lines going, keep them dry and be
        ready to sail. They of course are not triple wrap rope unless it is some
        part of the rode. Still, any line can get memory.

        April

      • wefnut
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
          Thanks. This makes sense. If the whipping is a nut and the rope a
          bolt, they will stay together better if they are threaded differently.

          --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Kenneth Chan" <ken_nerve@y...>