Turks Heads....

  • notetoapril
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2004
      I am new to this group, and have not posted yet, I sail with the Sea
      Scouts and we usually spend time between galley duty, and sheet and
      sail repair by putting Turks Heads anklets etc on each other. We sail
      Tall Ships several times a year along with our fleet of 34-43 ft
      sailboats. Recently I noted that there was some formula to
      predicting the correct amount of bends etc. We have never had a
      problem, no matter how fat, skinny or thick we make our anklets...is
      this for mats or other purposes? I just seems that the Turks Heads
      can be fatter or more sleek...

      Oh and I did learn the flying bowline and accomplished 6 knots under 8
      seconds for my final in advanced sailing! I also learned the "Paul
      Newman" Bowline...much like the "man overboard bowline" only from a
      different angle and all with "one hand". I think the semi-flying
      bowline and flying sheet bend are the most useful for me.