Re: bottles

  • salmaj@dsv.nl
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 31, 2004
      The knots in the picture were made by somebody else. They were on
      display at the IGKT 2004 AGM in Chatham UK.

      Regards
      André

      --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, knot_ferg <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Hello. What an assortment of beautiful knots you've made! I
      > especially like the tan-colored one that looks like a globe knot.
      > (It's in the mid-ground of the picture.) Is that what it is? I'm
      > sorry, but I don't know of any websites that give info on covering
      > bottles, other than just using Turks' Heads. For all my Turks Head
      > info, I use two books: one by Bruce Grant, and one by an author I
      > cannot recall - it is a self-assembled book by Tom something-or-
      > other. (Maybe the rest of the group can help me out?)
      >
      > CJ
      >
      > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, caglar kacmaz <kacmazc@y...>
      wrote:
      > > hi everybody
      > >
      > > 1st of all, thanx for creating such a group and
      > > sharing the knowledge...
      > >
      > > nowadays i am interested in covering bottles (like in
      > >
      > http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/avds_1/detail?.dir=/7e6a&.dnm=aacd.
      jp
      > > )
      > > but dont have any source and cant find anybook on it
      > > (i m from Turkiye).if anybody can give a link or
      > > anything,i ll be glad.
      > > i am also looking for grid for anchor.
      > >
      > > thank you
      > >
      > > Caglar

      > > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • big_red_vic
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 6, 2004
        --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, salmaj@d... wrote:
        Thanks Andre, as helpful as always !.

        The knot I was referring to was at the bottom end of the right-hand
        blue lanyard/top end of the black one - where the karabiners are
        attached.

        Do you also have any details on how the white lanyard was tied as
        well please? I spend a lot of time in the bush and find that a
        lanyard with a monkeys fist or other 'ball' construction is very easy
        to slip under a belt and gives a high degree of confidence that you
        will not lose whatever is attached. At the same time, it makes it
        very easy to release should you need to, and is comfortable to wear.
        The main problem is that it doesn't cope well with a heavy 'load',
        whereas the white lanyard looks like it will do the job very nicely !.

        Many Thanks,

        Vic

        PS Top marks for the website - I use it for reference quite often and
        find it very useful.

        > Hi Vic,
        >
        > Of course I would provide you with some more info, Bur can you
        first
        > tell me which of the keyfobs you are referring to? Is it the black,
        > the blue or the white one?
        >
        > Take care
        > André
        > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "big_red_vic" <vic.smith@a...>
        > wrote:
        > > Hi Andre,
        > >
        > > The photos were stunning - Willy and your other members are
        > obviously
        > > very talented.
        > >
        > > Could you provide me with some more information on the knots used
        in
        > > the photo entitled 'Another type of keyfob' please? I am
        interested
        > > in the very 'flat' knot in the middle of the sinnet?
        > >
        > > Regards
        > >
        > > Vic
        > >
        > > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, salmaj@d... wrote:
        > > > Hi Group,
        > > >
        > > > There are new photo's on my website of our monthly meeting at
        De

      • salmaj@dsv.nl
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 6, 2004
          Hi Vic,

          The flat, round knot just above the loop where the carabiner is
          attached to is a starknot. I hope this is the knot you was referring
          to.

          I am sorry but I don't know how the white lanyard was tied. I only
          know that it is made from rawhide. Perhaps you should contact Willy
          Willaert, the maker of all these knots. I am sure he can provide you
          with more detailed information. His e-mail address is geert.
          willaert@...

          Hope this helps

          wrote:
          > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, salmaj@d... wrote:
          > Thanks Andre, as helpful as always !.
          >
          > The knot I was referring to was at the bottom end of the right-hand
          > blue lanyard/top end of the black one - where the karabiners are
          > attached.
          >
          > Do you also have any details on how the white lanyard was tied as
          > well please? I spend a lot of time in the bush and find that a
          > lanyard with a monkeys fist or other 'ball' construction is very
          easy
          > to slip under a belt and gives a high degree of confidence that you
          > will not lose whatever is attached. At the same time, it makes it
          > very easy to release should you need to, and is comfortable to wear.

          > The main problem is that it doesn't cope well with a heavy 'load',
          > whereas the white lanyard looks like it will do the job very nicely
          !.

          > Many Thanks,
          >
          > Vic
          >
          > PS Top marks for the website - I use it for reference quite often
          and
          > find it very useful.
          >
          > > Hi Vic,
          > >
          > > Of course I would provide you with some more info, Bur can you
          > first
          > > tell me which of the keyfobs you are referring to? Is it the
          black,
          > > the blue or the white one?
          > >
          > > Take care
          > > André
          > > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "big_red_vic" <vic.smith@a...>
          > > wrote:
          > > > Hi Andre,
          > > >
          > > > The photos were stunning - Willy and your other members are
          > > obviously
          > > > very talented.
          > > >
          > > > Could you provide me with some more information on the knots
          used
          > in
          > > > the photo entitled 'Another type of keyfob' please? I am
          > interested
          > > > in the very 'flat' knot in the middle of the sinnet?
          > > >
          > > > Regards
          > > >
          > > > Vic

          > De
          > > > Hoop.
          > > > showed

        • silverknife
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 13, 2004
            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, caglar kacmaz <kacmazc@y...> wrote:
            <clipped>
            > nowadays i am interested in covering bottles (like in

            http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/avds_1/detail?.dir=/7e6a&.dnm=aacd.j
            pg
            > )
            > but dont have any source and cant find anybook on it
            > (i m from Turkiye).if anybody can give a link or
            > anything,i ll be glad.

            Bottles are usually needle-hitched. Ideally you do a clovehitch on
            the neck of the bottle then with a long sailneedle and even longer
            bit of twine you needle-hitch around the clovehitch until you arrive
            back at your starting point, then you start needle hitching the
            loops of the previous row.

            The hard part is to keep the looks of equal size and to prevent your
            twine from kinking. To increase the number of loops where the bottle
            swells, you add a second needle-hitch per loop as needed. To
            decrease the number of loops where the bottle shrinks inwards, skip
            a loop as necessary.

            You can find examples of this in the Ashley Book of Knots.

            An alternative way to cover a bottle is by square-knotting or
            macreme. Any good macreme book should cover that.