hellow ya'll

  • knotthis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26 11:31 AM
      i put a pic. on the groups photo page its called netting. i'm
      looking for any info. help i can find on this knot or braid what
      every the case is.
    • big_red_vic
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 29 4:31 AM
        Hi,

        If you manage to get a line on this one at all, I would appreciate
        you forwarding any details !!.

        About a year ago I purchased a 'mexican hammock' for my daughter,
        which uses a very similar type of knot (weave?). The major
        difference, is that each 'line' is separate (rather than paired), and
        after each 'crossover', goes over 2, under 2 before crossing over in
        the opposite direction.

        The materials are also a bit lighter ! - the support strings at each
        end are less than 0.5 mm diameter - but to make up for it, there are
        about 400 of them at each end !!. The material for the body is
        cotton, about the diameter of knitting cotton (if you have such a
        thing in your part of the world).

        It is very comfortable to lie in, and holds 2 adults comfortably. The
        weave opens up and closes up and reverts back to being even whenever
        it has the chance. The comfort probably comes from not having a fixed
        knot.

        I have been intrigued by the weave ever since I had to make a couple
        of repairs - following the weave is not easy once individual strands
        had been broken. I haven't been able to find out how it is made
        either - I suspect a jig to hold the uncompleted section whilst a new
        row is 'knitted' (or knotted or netted?) on is important. Given the
        sheer size of mine, and the amount of material needed, it must have
        been machine made - I would very much like to see the machine that
        made it though!!.

        So, if you manage to come across anything, please pass the info on
        and put me out of my misery !.

        Regards

        Vic