Re: [KnotTyers] Tugboat Bowline

  • almac882@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2004
      Steve,
      I learned that one when I worked in a Navy shipyard in San Diego back in the
      early sixties. It was also called the Kanaki bowline. I'm ot sure about the
      spelling, but I understand that Kanakies were seamen from the South Pacific
      islands and india. Anyway it's similar to a regular bowline but has two ands
      buried. It's not tied, it's flipped ni and is very fast once one have the technique
      mastered. Being right handed, here's how I do it. With the main part of the
      line to your right you make a bight with a long tail. In other words, the line
      comes in from the right, comes up into your hands, both palms facing forward,
      and the bitter end goes back to the right but hangs down so it is is in front
      of the main part- the side away from you. Now comes the tricky part. Depending
      on the size of the line, about two or three feet of line extend from your
      right hand. You flip the bitter end up between the bight and your body so it
      continues right over the top. You end up with a loop in each hand. Your left hand
      then reaches through its loop and you take the other loop in your fingers and
      pull the right hand loop through the left one. With some practice you can flip
      in a loop and have it over a cleat in about three seconds. Hope this explains
      it for you, but if not let me know.

    • Gray, Ken E.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
        Rats I keep doing it wrong; all I keep coming up with is a Harness knot
        (think of an overhand knot in the standing part with the working end
        made to form a bight and then inserted into it). What am I doing wrong?

        Ken

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        click here
        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129de6fsn/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
        D=groups/S=1705063195:HM/EXP=1088740556/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
        p:/companion.yahoo.com>

        s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=260861203>

      • almac882@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2004
          If I can find time I'll take some photos. That should help. It's pretty
          simple but takes some practice.

          Al

        • Peter Davey
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 2, 2004
            The Complete Rigger"s Apprentice by Brion Toss explains how to tie the
            Tugboat bowline. I have not tried it but know two knoters who can tie it,
            Also has the Dragon Bowline

            Peter Davey
            Sydney Aust

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 7, 2004
              Has anyone had a chance to get some pics up of this?

              Ken

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 8, 2004
                Hi Ken,
                I found a picture of a pair of mirror image "Bowline (Tugboat)
                Earrings" on http://www.agacorrea.com/aga/cgi-bin/aga.pl?
                agacustomer=7655391_93319&lgParts=493/494. The one on the left
                matches the below desription by almac882@...

                At the bottom of
                http://www.rtpnet.org/robroy/baidarka/1995/Nov/0018.html the writer
                says, "Toss describes another method of tying it in his "The
                Rigger's Apprentice", under the heading of "Tugboat (or Flying)
                Bowline". In "The Ashely Book of Knots", its #1017."

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 8, 2004
                  In a message dated 9/8/2004 10:09:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                  danlook@... writes:
                  I found a picture of a pair of mirror image "Bowline (Tugboat)
                  Earrings" on http://www.agacorrea.com/aga/cgi-bin/aga.pl?
                  agacustomer=7655391_93319&lgParts=493/494. The one on the left
                  matches the below desription by almac882@...
                  That's what you end up with--only pulled a bit tighter. It's a decent knot
                  and the making of it is very impressive, almost a trick knot, but usefull at
                  times.

                  Al McMaster