Re: [KnotTyers] A question about stanchions

  • Howard Gibbins
    Message 1 of 8 , May 16, 2004
      Richard (et. al.):

      I looked into cyclone, but that's not it. What I'm looking for are the
      actual uprights that are seen on the gangway of a ship. As far as I can
      remember they are usually 1.25 to 1.5 inch - it feels real wierd
      translating stuff back into imperial :). They have a flange on the
      bottom, and usually three "holes" passing crosswise through the upright
      where the chain/rope is strung.

      Something like this fairly poor character picture. The "||" is the
      upright pipe, () is the hole, and ==== is the bottom flange.

      ()
      ()
      ()
      ====

      I'm not sure if the "drawing" will come through, but hopefully.

      Howard

      --
      053 Deg. 32' 22" North Latitude
      113 Deg. 26' 29" West Longitude

      Website: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/hgibbins
    • Cahn
      Message 2 of 8 , May 16, 2004
        Howard

        It might be because I live in Ausrralia, but..... I have never seen the likes of what you are after readily available anywhere. However as I see it, there are 2 possible avenues for you to follow in your quest for stanchions.

        Any good yachting chandler will actually have stanchions. But.... They will be made of 316 stainless steel and probably be too short for your purposes. They will of course be extremely expensive.

        The other option is to get them made up at your local metal working shop. These will be quite cheap as the labour component is minimal. They can make them out of ordinary ungalvanised steel but you will need to get them hot dip galvanised.... They will also be able to make them to your design....

        Geoff

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Howard Gibbins
        Message 3 of 8 , May 16, 2004
          Geoff:

          Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure I was going to have to get them
          custom made, but I can always hope. I don't suppose you know any good
          metal worker up here in the sub-arctic?

          Howard

          Message 4 of 8 , May 17, 2004
            Howard

            Take a wander on over to the pipeline... They have some of the best metal workers in the world there...

              Message 6 of 8 , May 17, 2004
                Hello Howard

                Try West Marine. They have chandleries through the US and Canada or
                Top Licht of Germany. They are both very good. An understanding of
                German is helpful but not neccesary to deal with Top Licht.

                Regards