Hello from a newbie

  • imwithher@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 11 5:42 PM
      Hello,
      My name¹s Marlene and I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland also known as
      the Delmarva Peninsula, with my partner of 13+ years.

      I¹ve done quite a bit of macramé in the past; hangers for plants, wall
      hangings, and dog leads come to mind. Recently it¹s only been for
      utilitarian items and not very decorative. The hardest lesson I learned was
      to wear cotton gloves when working with fine cording after shredding the
      outside edge of my hands and my pinkie fingers while working on a delicate
      hanger of cotton twine. I never did finish that one!

      I need to find directions for the flat Turk¹s head knot. I had made some
      into coasters ( made with a heavy unpolished cording they work
      wonderfully!). The coasters had lasted for years when a new puppy thought
      they were very tasty and then they were no more. The text that I had with it
      in it was loaned to a friend and has never been seen again.

      I look forward to reading posts from this group. Thank you for letting me
      join.
      Marlene

    • T J Bartruff
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 12 4:55 PM
        Hi Marlene
        I have a web site on turks heads to I don't have flat knots posted there. I
        do have patterns for alot of flat knots, What are you looking for? Round,
        square, oval shaped? Email me off list at tejay480 at bellatlantic.net and
        I'll see what I have that you might be able to use

        T J Bartruff
        Norfolk, Va

      • salmaj@dsv.nl
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 13 1:13 AM
          Hi Marlene
          Welcome to the group. In principle it is possible to make a round TH
          knot, tied on the hand, into a flat one. Actually this is very simple
          to do. Just tie a round TH knot And then flatten it by lay it on a
          table and push gently on it. Make sure all the leads are nicely next
          to each other. On the other hand TJ's suggestion of making flat mats
          might be better if you want to use them for coasters. these mats have
          a larger diameter than the flattened TH knots I just described.

          Take care
          André van der Salm
          Holland

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 13 9:18 AM
            Marlene,

            If you take a 3D TH and flatten it out leave yourself a 'tail' piece
            of cord so that you can even out the knot when flattened.

            Now some thoughts and preference here:

            I like to tie coasters (flat Turks Heads) out of thinner cord with
            many bights & leads, where the bights are the number of scallops
            along the edges (equal # on inside & outside), and the leads are the
            # of over/under weave. Why thinner cord? Well it will allow more
            bights and leads. Why more bights and leads? So that the glass /
            cups will sit level.

            Note the lead # is obtained by counting the over/under crossings and
            then adding 'one' for the weaving cord.

            Thus a 7B X 9L turks head would have 7 scallops on the inner & outer
            edges and 9 leads will have 8 over/under intersections in the weave.

            TJ has a good page on which TH's can be tyed with one cord
            http://mywebpage.netscape.com/Tejay480/images/home.html

            Also for a rounder coaster you want the bights and leads to be close
            in number, that is a "square" Turk's head. If you check out Geoff's
            site http://thecottageguild.com > [crafts] [knotting] > [Turks Head
            Shop] (then Magazine, select either wide or narrow TH) (message 2691
            of this message board) for various web based 'TH' calculators.

            I always give myself plenty of cord when tying something new. If
            your making a few coasters, do yourself a favor and cut plenty of
            cord for the first (measure it) and then tye a coaster, cut off the
            excess and then cut your remaining coasters cord from that. I'm also
            going to say that you always need more cord to initially tie the
            coaster than you need when it has been tightened up, so don't think
            your wasting cord by cutting it overly long, for me it is just the
            price of doing business...

            Ed
          • Dan
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 13 11:51 AM
              hello Marlene....there's a very
              beautiful "coaster" made by
              Loopy Lacer on the "This Just In - 2004"
              page:
              http://knotical-arts.com/tji2004.html
              ...the instructions are there too!...
              Dan-Alaska
              ______________________________________

              --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, <imwithher@c...> wrote:
              > Hello,
              > My name¹s Marlene and I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland also
              known as
              > the Delmarva Peninsula, with my partner of 13+ years.
              >
              > I¹ve done quite a bit of macramé in the past; hangers for plants,
              wall
              > hangings, and dog leads come to mind. Recently it¹s only been for
              > utilitarian items and not very decorative. The hardest lesson I
              learned was
              > to wear cotton gloves when working with fine cording after
              shredding the
              > outside edge of my hands and my pinkie fingers while working on a
              delicate
              > hanger of cotton twine. I never did finish that one!
              >
              > I need to find directions for the flat Turk¹s head knot. I had made
              some
              > into coasters ( made with a heavy unpolished cording they work
              > wonderfully!). The coasters had lasted for years when a new puppy
              thought
              > they were very tasty and then they were no more. The text that I
              had with it
              > in it was loaned to a friend and has never been seen again.
              >
              > I look forward to reading posts from this group. Thank you for
              letting me
              > join.
              > Marlene

            • bob_usndoc
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 13 1:15 PM
                Hello Marlene,

                Here is a link that you may find helpful.

                http://www.tallshipsadventure.org/lore/coaster.html

                Bob