Pineapple knots

  • John Frings
    Message 1 of 37 , Jan 16, 2004
      I'm afraid I can't be much of a help, being a beginner in knotting but I sure am interested in these kind of knots and looking forward to some instructions.
      Don't know if you need a special group for it, but if....count me in !
      John Frings.

      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 1, 2005
        I dig your thinking. If you want to take it to the next level I can write a software interface for such a database.

        Laurel <nomondolo@...> wrote:I'm new to the group and to knot tying....don't know much. But what I do know are databases (i make them for a living.) and what might best serve your purpose is some sort of database so that you could query it for the name of what you are looking for (i.e., turk) and/or number of blights and/or number of strands, etc...and it would return a list of all possible knots that meet the criteria.

        The trick with using/designing a database is to identify the fields you'd require up front so that all data you gather would meet the required fields (e.g., for each knot, you need NAME (and all aliases), CLASS, #STRANDS, #BLIGHTS, maybe SOURCE of information, Country of Origin (if known), TYPE, USES, DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY, and each one of these fields or any combination thereof, you could use to query the database.
        but again - it's best to id these fields up front so that when you gather your data - you work towards completing those fields for each knot.

        - just a thought. but what a tool.......
        laurel

        Howard Gibbins <hgibbins@...> wrote:
        Greetings,

        Now this sounds like a project I could get into! Maybe this is how we can put
        the Alberta group on the IGKT map.

        Anybody interested in helping?

        Howard

        On Wednesday August 31 2005 12:09 pm, wangc@... wrote:
        > larryhelber writes:
        > =- It is good to have someone bluntly backup the consensus about the
        > =- Encyclopedia of Knots. :-)
        > =-
        > =- It is the only book that I could think of that comes even close to
        > =- what ABOK contains as a reference.
        >
        > If the IGKT's wants to take their mandate of education the way I'd
        > like them to 8) 8), they could generate a complete reference (Ashley +
        > Hensel & Graumont + Shaw + Chen + (Grainger + Pawson + Budworth + ...)
        > + ...) online/digitally (web/CD). By putting things online, they
        > don't have space and layout issues (so graphically demonstrated by
        > Hensel & Graumont) and can have complete instructions for each knot,
        > or even multiple tying methods for each knot that needs it as well.
        >
        > With all the talented members of the Guild working together it might
        > only take a few years. 8) 8) 8)
        > --
        > Carol Wang http://www.daoofsilk.com/ The Dao of Silk
        > http://www.chineseknotting.org/ The Chinese Knotting Home Page
        > http://www.skate.org/ Information for the Figure Skating Fan

        Latitude: 053 Deg. 32' 22" North, Longitude 113 Deg. 26' 29" West

        Websites:
        http://www.telusplanet.net/public/hgibbins
        http://www.edmontonrasc.com

        Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts Knot tying