Re: [KnotTyers] Homemade Perma Loc Needles

  • Richard A. Victor
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
      Another possibility for shaping the silver soldered tip is to chuck the
      needle in an electric drill. You then use the drill to rotate the needle
      against a rotating dremel abrasive stone. This makes it very easy to get a
      nicely shaped tip on the needle. Rotating the needle while you shape the
      tip on the dremel stone keeps it symmetrical. I found that this worked
      well to retip the Perma Loc needles that I had shortened by cutting them
      down with a dremel abrasive cutoff wheel. I was able to pretty much
      duplicate the tip shape of the purchased needles. This largest needle in
      the photo at the following URL was cut and retipped in that way.

      http://home.wi.rr.com/dick/Needles.jpg

      BTW, I've found a way that works well for me to shape the tip of the
      paracord into a point that will hold well in the needles. Grip the
      paracord between the index finger and thumb of each hand leaving about 3
      inches of paracord between where you are gripping. Now hold the center
      portion of the paracord over a lighter and, as the paracord melts, slowly
      pull it apart so that you form a thin section in the center. Let it cool
      and cut it off where it has the desired shape. It's easier to do than to
      describe. The following photo should help.

      http://home.wi.rr.com/dick/Paracord_Pointing.jpg

      Dick

      At 12:44 AM 10/31/2003, you wrote:
      >I don't post very often and am just learning the in's and out's of all
      >this knotting art, but, I think I've found a decent way to make self
      >threading needles for this para cord I've been toying with.
      >If for some reason someone else has tried this and it failed then by
      >all means let me know. This so far has appeared to work and seems to
      >lock the para cord in pretty decent.
      >
      >I bought some 1/8" brass tubeing at a local Hobby Lobby made by K&S
      >Engineering, it came 2 rods to the package for $1.99
      >I bought a # 4-40 NC tap for $2.95 at the hardware store.
      >I cut a piece of tubing approx 4" long and took some small vice grips
      >and clasp the tubeing in the middle, I then tapped each end of the
      >tubeing with the #4-40 tap. The tap when run up inside the tubeing
      >embossed the outside of the tube expanding it a fraction as it cut
      >threads inside the tube. I tapped the tube till I had about 1/4" of
      >this embossing showing on the outside of the tube. Then proceeded to
      >the other end of the tube.
      >After cutting threads in each end of the tube I took a dremel cut off
      >wheel and made a diagonal cut as a surgical syringe would look. I then
      >silver soldered the tip then smoothed and rounded the edges.
      >
      >Having just made them they do grip the para cord nicely but have yet
      >tried tying any knots as of yet.
      >I made 6 needles fairly quick at a cost of $5 bucks for the 6 needles
      >and have more tube left.
      >
      >I was having a bit of trouble finding these perma loc needles so
      >thought this might be an alternative...
      >
      >Mike..
    • sam3_32
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
        Dick & Mike---Thanks for the interesting notes on the Perma Loc
        needles. I have used them for years off and on but never thought of
        some of the things you've done. I hated burning my fingers on the
        melted nylon and now you've taught me to prepare it a better way.
        And I never thought it would be possible for me to make my own but
        you have encouraged me to try. I do mostly flatwork (Celtic crosses
        and other Celtic knotwork) so I hammer mine flat (I used to make
        jewelry) for about 3/4 of their length, bend them into a curved form,
        and then finish them on my jeweler's wheel. This makes it possible
        to work against a pin board and it really makes the tucking faster.
        Since I'm currently working mainly in cotton and hemp, the melting
        and shaping technique won't work so I soak the tip in super glue and
        shape it with clippers. The problem I've had is that the three sizes
        of needles I have don't include one large enough to use with 144
        cotton or 4 and 5 mm hemp. Your encouragement will send me to the
        hardware store to get the tap and see what I can do. Many thanks to
        you both. BTW, I bought the two smaller sized needles from
        ubraidit.com, where they also have a fine stock of paracord. Sam
        Lanham
      • John Waidner
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
          Those without Dremels could use a file to shape the rotating needle.
          After filing, use #600 wet/dry carbide paper (with water for
          lubrication) to smooth the tapered end. Emery cloth may be used for a
          final, smooth as a (fill in the blank) finish.

          John Waidner

        • hat man
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2003
            Your welcome, I never knew knot tying was going to be such
            a learning experience. I am still waiting on my videos
            on the lanyard and bellrope and will tackle one of them
            pretty quickly. I just got home from a army surplus store
            north of me with 4 rolls of small para cord, 300ft per roll.
            I have some little lump know cord now to use...
            I like you was burning my fingers trying to form the ends
            on the cord.. the process dick gave is just too simple..LOL..
            I need to go to Logic school at times I think in my old age..