Coloring nylon cord

  • Dennis Brooker
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11, 2003
      From a newbie to the list I hope this info may be of some interest - I've not had much luck finding 1/8" braided nylon cord in colors - I've made some wrapped cord handles for some walking sticks and applied a coating of water based varnish to improve the grip and to help against wear - I developed the following method of coloring nylon braided cord - use a permanent magic marker to color the length of cord required, you may to make it slightly longer than needed - tie one end to something, hold the cord in one hand and use the marker to thoroughly color the cord with the other hand - I used Sharpies, nice bright colors - No, the color does not penetrate the fibers, but bare with me a moment - let the cord dry for a few minutes - use a clean cloth and lightly rub the cord to remove any build up of excess marker - the cord will retain about 95%of the color - now using a water-based varnish coat the cord, use a rag or your fingers - let dry thoroughly - unless you use something abrasive the color will stay just fine - there are, in my opinion, two additional benefits to this process - the cord becomes stiffer and easier to handle - also it really improves the cords ability to hold a knot - I would also mention you can color the cords using different paterns of color on the same cord, etc. - D. Brooker

    • Lynn Grant
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 12, 2003
        I have also had good luck dying nylon rope and cord using RIT dyes in the
        washing machine.

        Here's the drill...

        - Wash in hot water with detergent to remove the sizing.
        - Wash in hot water with RIT dye, stopping the washer to let it soak, as
        described in the directions on the box of dye.
        - Wash again in warm water to remove excess dye. You may need to do this
        twice.

        I have had really good success with blue, green, purple, and scarlet. Brown
        came out as kind of a gold...very nice.
        I have never had success with black, even running it through two dye cycles.
        It always comes out as a
        deep brown.

        The shininess of the underlying nylon makes the dyes look much brighter and
        more sparkly than they would on
        Cloth. You can also get some interesting pastel colors by running the rope
        or cord through the wash with some bleach
        after you have dyed it.

        I haven't tried the Sharpie method. I'll have to give it a try.

        Be well...

        lynn

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 12, 2003
          Both of these methods sound intriguing. I may have to give them both a try.
          I've been looking for inexpensive cords in colors and I think you both may
          have helped me in this.

          Thanx!

          Happily tangled in my own knots,
          Lily Qualls Morales
          Yucaipa, California -- USA
          List Mom for <A HREF="mailto:tatting@yahoogroups.com">Tatting@yahoogroups.com</A>
          List "Auntie" for <A HREF="mailto:Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com">Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com</A>
          <A HREF="mailto:LoopyLacer@...">LoopyLacer@...</A>
          <A HREF="www.LoopyLacer.com">www.LoopyLacer.com</A>
          <A HREF="http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/LoopyLacer">http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/LoopyLacer</A>

        • Dan
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 12, 2003
            ...for dying/coloring any type of
            fabric check with the folks at
            Color Creek:
            http://www.color-creek.com/
            ...they are the experts!!!...DanAlaska
            *******************************
            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn Grant" <lgrant@r...> wrote:
            > I have also had good luck dying nylon rope and cord using RIT dyes
            in the
            > washing machine.
            >
            > Here's the drill...
            >
            > - Wash in hot water with detergent to remove the sizing.
            > - Wash in hot water with RIT dye, stopping the washer to let it
            soak, as
            > described in the directions on the box of dye.
            > - Wash again in warm water to remove excess dye. You may need to
            do this
            > twice.
            >
            > I have had really good success with blue, green, purple, and
            scarlet. Brown
            > came out as kind of a gold...very nice.
            > I have never had success with black, even running it through two
            dye cycles.
            > It always comes out as a
            > deep brown.
            >
            > The shininess of the underlying nylon makes the dyes look much
            brighter and
            > more sparkly than they would on
            > Cloth. You can also get some interesting pastel colors by running
            the rope
            > or cord through the wash with some bleach
            > after you have dyed it.
            >
            > I haven't tried the Sharpie method. I'll have to give it a try.
            >
            > Be well...
            >
            > lynn

            Printer
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • loopylacer@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 12, 2003
              In a message dated 10/12/2003 1:00:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              knot_tyer@... writes:

              > ...for dying/coloring any type of
              > fabric check with the folks at
              > Color Creek:
              > http://www.color-creek.com/
              > ...they are the experts!!!...

              Thanx for that site, Dan! I'll pass that along to my e-buddies on my other
              lists, too!

              List Mom for <A HREF="mailto:tatting@yahoogroups.com">Tatting@yahoogroups.com</A>
              List "Auntie" for <A HREF="mailto:Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com">Rings_N_Chains@yahoogroups.com</A>
              <A HREF="mailto:LoopyLacer@...">LoopyLacer@...</A>
              <A HREF="www.LoopyLacer.com">www.LoopyLacer.com</A>
              <A HREF="http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/LoopyLacer">http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/bc/LoopyLacer</A>

            • sam3_32
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 13, 2003
                --Both solid and mixed colors in 3 mm nylon rock climbers' accessory
                cord is available from Bluewater Ropes. Try their retailer at
                climbnow.com. This cord runs about 30-35 dollars for 100 meters. I
                coat mine in a water based polyurethane with a UK blocker that helps
                retard fading. I have a bellrope practice piece that has been
                hanging outdoors in all kinds of weather for about 3 years. The
                solid red, blue, green, purple are holding up well. The ultra-bright
                colors are not doing as well. Ultimately, all colors exposed to
                direct sunlight will fade. Maybe we can keep them bright for our
                lifetimes and let the next generation worry about their color.

                Sam Lanham