Re: [KnotTyers] IGKT-NAB Knot_Chat ~ TOPIC: Pineapple-Lump Knots

  • Boffa Farquar
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
      Sorry Dan but I will not be able to make it.
      if you have any questions, just e-mail me.
      and thanks for the pictures from last week.
      Marvin

      knot_tyer <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Hello KnotTyers Group!...i hope
      everyone will be able to visit
      "IGKT-NAB Knot_Chat" tomorrow!!
      ...the topic is: "Pineapple-Lump
      Knots"!!!...
      (dgtlcwby: i was finally able
      to unzip and view those 63 .jpgs
      you sent on your nice pineapple-lump
      knot!!...too tired right now to do
      anything with them, but at least
      i have them!!!)..for a view of
      dgtlcwby's "pineapple-lump knot":
      http://knotical-arts.com/star7.html
      ...see everyone in IGKT-NAB Knot_Chat
      tomorrow!!!!...Dan-Alaska

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • murray_428
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
        Hi Dan,

        I'm new to knot tying and have viewed your website with amazement at
        the beauty of the work. My question regards your suggestion to have
        a notebook while working. What type of information do
        you keep in the notebook? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks
        again for your dedication to the art.

        Joe
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
          --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "murray_428" <zano_52@h...> wrote:
          > Hi Dan,
          >
          > I'm new to knot tying and have viewed your website with amazement
          at
          > the beauty of the work. My question regards your suggestion to
          have
          > a notebook while working. What type of information do
          > you keep in the notebook? Any guidance would be appreciated.
          Thanks
          > again for your dedication to the art.
          >
          > Joe

          Joe,

          You addressed your question to Dan, but I'd like to answer it from my
          point of view.

          I use my notebook(s) not as 'formal' documentation but as a place to
          keep all of my knotting thoughts. I quickly jot down ideas. I also
          keep notes as a project progresses. That is cord diameter, length,
          little notes to myself. If I'm covering something I note its
          diameter and length. If I use some type of thimble I note its
          size... If I have cord left over, or if it came up short, I note
          that as well, because if I want to make more items I can see just how
          much to cut... Note I usually give myself a good working length --
          nothing worse than getting to the end and have to fight with the
          length. I also record books/pages where I did something new.

          As an adjunct to the note book I use a digital camera and computer...
          I can now keep track of projects as I do them and to check on my
          progress.

          Ed
        • knot_tyer
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "murray_428" <zano_52@h...> wrote:
            > Hi Dan,
            >
            > I'm new to knot tying and have viewed your website with amazement
            at
            > the beauty of the work. My question regards your suggestion to
            have
            > a notebook while working. What type of information do
            > you keep in the notebook? Any guidance would be appreciated.
            Thanks
            > again for your dedication to the art.
            >
            > Joe
            *************************************
            hello Joe.....i agree with everything that
            Ed says about keeping a notebook...also
            on "first projects" cut your cords EXTRA
            long!!!...you can always make
            "zipper pulls/backpack knots" with the
            remnants!(like Ed says, it is not fun to
            work for hours on a project and at the
            end you are a few inches short!!!)after
            your "first knot", you should have
            everything about the knot recorded so
            you will not come up short!!!...(another
            reason to keep a notebook is that very soon
            you will be making so many different knots
            there is no way you will be able to
            remember them all!!!...)
            ....and also keep a "reject box"!!
            ...when a knot doesn't turn out right, don't
            throw it away!..put it in the reject box
            and later (maybe years!!) you can at least
            show folks how NOT to make knots!!...showing
            the knot is better than trying to explain it!...
            with computers/scanners/printers, it is no
            problem to print-out the image and put the
            photo in your notebook!...photos really
            help!...plus if you keep a notebook, someday
            you may turn it into a book?!?!!!!....
            Dan-Alaska