IGKT-NAB Knot_Chat ~ TOPIC: Pineapple-Lump Knots

  • knot_tyer
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2003
      Hello KnotTyers Group!...i hope
      everyone will be able to visit
      "IGKT-NAB Knot_Chat" tomorrow!!
      ...the topic is: "Pineapple-Lump
      Knots"!!!...
      (dgtlcwby: i was finally able
      to unzip and view those 63 .jpgs
      you sent on your nice pineapple-lump
      knot!!...too tired right now to do
      anything with them, but at least
      i have them!!!)..for a view of
      dgtlcwby's "pineapple-lump knot":
      http://knotical-arts.com/star7.html
      ...see everyone in IGKT-NAB Knot_Chat
      tomorrow!!!!...Dan-Alaska
    • Boffa Farquar
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
        Sorry Dan but I will not be able to make it.
        if you have any questions, just e-mail me.
        and thanks for the pictures from last week.
        Marvin

        knot_tyer <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        Hello KnotTyers Group!...i hope
        everyone will be able to visit
        "IGKT-NAB Knot_Chat" tomorrow!!
        ...the topic is: "Pineapple-Lump
        Knots"!!!...
        (dgtlcwby: i was finally able
        to unzip and view those 63 .jpgs
        you sent on your nice pineapple-lump
        knot!!...too tired right now to do
        anything with them, but at least
        i have them!!!)..for a view of
        dgtlcwby's "pineapple-lump knot":
        http://knotical-arts.com/star7.html
        ...see everyone in IGKT-NAB Knot_Chat
        tomorrow!!!!...Dan-Alaska

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • murray_428
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
          Hi Dan,

          I'm new to knot tying and have viewed your website with amazement at
          the beauty of the work. My question regards your suggestion to have
          a notebook while working. What type of information do
          you keep in the notebook? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks
          again for your dedication to the art.

          Joe
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "murray_428" <zano_52@h...> wrote:
            > Hi Dan,
            >
            > I'm new to knot tying and have viewed your website with amazement
            at
            > the beauty of the work. My question regards your suggestion to
            have
            > a notebook while working. What type of information do
            > you keep in the notebook? Any guidance would be appreciated.
            Thanks
            > again for your dedication to the art.
            >
            > Joe

            Joe,

            You addressed your question to Dan, but I'd like to answer it from my
            point of view.

            I use my notebook(s) not as 'formal' documentation but as a place to
            keep all of my knotting thoughts. I quickly jot down ideas. I also
            keep notes as a project progresses. That is cord diameter, length,
            little notes to myself. If I'm covering something I note its
            diameter and length. If I use some type of thimble I note its
            size... If I have cord left over, or if it came up short, I note
            that as well, because if I want to make more items I can see just how
            much to cut... Note I usually give myself a good working length --
            nothing worse than getting to the end and have to fight with the
            length. I also record books/pages where I did something new.

            As an adjunct to the note book I use a digital camera and computer...
            I can now keep track of projects as I do them and to check on my
            progress.

            Ed
          • knot_tyer
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2003
              --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "murray_428" <zano_52@h...> wrote:
              > Hi Dan,
              >
              > I'm new to knot tying and have viewed your website with amazement
              at
              > the beauty of the work. My question regards your suggestion to
              have
              > a notebook while working. What type of information do
              > you keep in the notebook? Any guidance would be appreciated.
              Thanks
              > again for your dedication to the art.
              >
              > Joe
              *************************************
              hello Joe.....i agree with everything that
              Ed says about keeping a notebook...also
              on "first projects" cut your cords EXTRA
              long!!!...you can always make
              "zipper pulls/backpack knots" with the
              remnants!(like Ed says, it is not fun to
              work for hours on a project and at the
              end you are a few inches short!!!)after
              your "first knot", you should have
              everything about the knot recorded so
              you will not come up short!!!...(another
              reason to keep a notebook is that very soon
              you will be making so many different knots
              there is no way you will be able to
              remember them all!!!...)
              ....and also keep a "reject box"!!
              ...when a knot doesn't turn out right, don't
              throw it away!..put it in the reject box
              and later (maybe years!!) you can at least
              show folks how NOT to make knots!!...showing
              the knot is better than trying to explain it!...
              with computers/scanners/printers, it is no
              problem to print-out the image and put the
              photo in your notebook!...photos really
              help!...plus if you keep a notebook, someday
              you may turn it into a book?!?!!!!....
              Dan-Alaska