Re: H.G. Smith's *Arts of the Sailor*

  • winstonsmith_99 <winstonsmith_99@yahoo.c
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
      Dick,
      I tried to follow Ashley's instructions for #731, and the result
      just didn't look right. Part of the problem with the instructions is
      the illustrations. In the first through the third drawings the lines
      are rather small with pronounced spaces between them, then in the
      fourth drawing the lines are nice and fat with no spaces between
      them. It seems to me that for the knot have the desired appearance,
      one has to use however many lines are sufficient to completely cover
      the core. Then, one seizes the lines and simply tucks them in a right-
      ward direction until further tucking becomes impractical (I think
      Ashley recommends no more than six or seven tucks or "tiers"). Have I
      got it right?
      BTW, I've looked at the Matthew Walker section of photos, and
      they look precisely like my goal, as does the photo of #731 in the
      frontices of Ashley.
      Let me know if my description above is correct. Perhaps my
      inexperience is causing me to make this more difficult than it is.

      Winston

      --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A. Victor" <Victor@w...>

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Richard A. Victor
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2003
        I would recommend that you ignore ABOK for the moment and try to tie the
        knot using the illustrations that are in the Matthew Walker section of the
        photos which are apparently from one of Ron Edwards' books. Take your time
        and make sure that you have each strand in the position shown in the
        diagram. Each "loop" has to lay exactly as shown and each end has to pass
        through the loops exactly as shown. Then take the slack out of each strand
        a little at a time. As you tighten the knot it will assume the shape that
        you are after. I've used 6 strands of paracord and had success using those
        illustrations. I believe that the illustrations were posted by Dan C and
        that he said that is the way that he ties it as well.

        Dick

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 7, 2003
          Thanks, Dick. I'll give it the old college try. Winston

          wrote:
> [...]
          > >Ashley recommends no more than six or seven tucks or "tiers").
          Have I
          > >got it right?
          > > BTW, I've looked at the Matthew Walker section of photos, and
          > >they look precisely like my goal, as does the photo of #731 in the
          > >frontices of Ashley.
          > > Let me know if my description above is correct. Perhaps my
          > >inexperience is causing me to make this more difficult than it is.
          > >
          > >Winston
          > >
          > >--- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A. Victor" <Victor@w...>
          > >wrote:
          > > > Have you looked at the illustration in the Matthew Walker
          section
          > >of the
          > > > photo gallery? While the method is different from ABOK #731, I
          > >think it's
          > > > the same knot. I've used those directions to successfully tie

        • johnny_vann
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 6 12:21 PM
            I just got a copy of The Marlinspike Sailor. With all due respect
            Winston, I have a Literature degree as well and I wasn't as
            impressed with the writing as you were. Not that is was bad, but
            just didn't astound me like it did you. (Then again, I like
            chocolate covered espresso beans so go figure.)

            The pictures however are incredible. Artwork is a better description
            than drawings. I highly recomend this book for the artwork alone.

            - johnny