Re: 6 strand complex plait

  • avds_1
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2003
      hello,

      First of all, a happy new year to you all!!

      I am also having difficulties with this "over 2" crown plait. I have tried =
      it over and over again but I just can't find out how to do it. In your reply=
      you mention a book in wich there is a diagram. Unfortunately I have no acce=
      ss to this book. Is there perhaps another way of providing us with a rawing =
      or diagram????

      Regards
      André van der Salm

    • signin3599 <rmr3599@att.net>
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2003
        I dont' have a picture but think of your leads at 12oclock 2, 4, 6, 8,
        10 o clock..
        This is just a right hand crown but instead of laying your leads over
        one lead, lay each one over two leads....and the next lead is laid in
        it of course locks in the previously laid lead...

        (1)take your 12 lead and lay it counterclockwise over the 10 and 8...
        (2)take your 10 and lay it over the 8 and 6...
        (3)the 8 is laid over the 6 and the 4,,,,,
        (4) the 6 over the 4 and the 2
        (5) take the 4 back over the 2 and tuck it in and over the 12lead..
        (6) take the 2 back over the 12 and tuck it in and over the 10 lead...

        I think I explained it maybe well enough... later tonight I can
        do a diagram if this doesn't get it...

        This is the way that I've come to understand how it's done..
        as Don said they knot locks itself into place, with just a 6 lead
        crown it is hard to get them to stay tight... this one works to make a
        good solid knot.........

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2003
          Andre'/all,

          I've uploaded a zip file, in the 'Files' Section, that has a diagrams
          of how to do it. Even has a animation. Download the zip, extact all
          the files and load the htm file in your browser.

          I think I've got all the strands going where they should be! I hope
          so.

          Ed
        • Bipps98 <bipps98@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2003
            --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, knot_tyer <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > ....hello KnotTyer...the "6-strand complex plait" is just an "over 2"
            > crown knot..i like it because it "locks-in"...making the plait
            > becomes mechanical and tensioning is the key to making plaits look
            > nice.....you can barely notice, but the plait on the "fly-fisherman's
            > clip" is an "over 1" crown plait...the plait on the key fobs
            > are "over 2"...(there are dozens of plaits you can use with the
            > Little Lump Knot...there is an excellent diagram of the "complex
            > plait" in Geoffrey Budworth's book on Decorative Knots...Dan-Alaska...
            >
            > --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, "Bipps98 <bipps98@y...>"
            > <bipps98@y...> wrote:
            > > hello everyone, happy holiday's to all of you.
            > > I am interested in making the little lump knot , so far I am doing
            > ok,
            > > but am stuck on the 6 strand complex plait knot, does anyone have
            > > instructions for this knot?? i looked in the ashley book , but am
            > > having a hard time finding the proper knot. any help would be a BIG
            > help .
            > > it looks like a 4 strand barrel knot but i cant figure out the
            > pattern
            > > with 6 cords.
            > > Thanks .

            Thanks Dan!!!!
          • Bipps98 <bipps98@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2003
              --- In knottyers@yahoogroups.com, knotslipstick <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Andre'/all,
              >
              > I've uploaded a zip file, in the 'Files' Section, that has a diagrams
              > of how to do it. Even has a animation. Download the zip, extact all
              > the files and load the htm file in your browser.
              >
              > I think I've got all the strands going where they should be! I hope
              > so.
              >

              > Ed

              I dont see this file in the files section????? and thanks for all your
              help.
            • avds_1
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2003
                Ed,

                Thank you very much for uploading the diagrams. I think I can manage from h=
                ere. When I succeed I'll let you know.

                Thanks again
                André v.d. Salm