Gaucho knots

  • avds_1
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2002
      While going through some books and other material on pineapple knots I ran =
      inti these Gaucho knots, described in the book Leather braiding by Bruce Gra=
      nt. These knots look very nice and can be applied as a neckerchief slide or =
      woggle. I gave the 3 pass gaucho knot a trie and the result can be seen in t=
      he photo section under Gaucho knots.

      These knots look very complicated, but are fairly easy in tying.

      Happy knotting
      André van der Salm
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2002
        --- In knottyers@y..., avds_1 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > While going through some books and other material on pineapple
        knots I ran =
        > inti these Gaucho knots, described in the book Leather braiding by
        Bruce Gra=
        > nt. These knots look very nice and can be applied as a neckerchief
        slide or =
        > woggle. I gave the 3 pass gaucho knot a trie and the result can be
        seen in t=
        > he photo section under Gaucho knots.
        >
        > These knots look very complicated, but are fairly easy in tying.
        >

        > Happy knotting
        > André van der Salm

        Andre,

        Nice work. If tried a few myself but find that I get easily confused
        about halfway thru the construction. I loose my place so to speak.
        I think it is a matter of practice just as with ordinary Turks Heads
        but it you have any pointers I'd appreciate it. For now I'm stuck
        following the diagrams hoping I don't mess it up. I know that in
        time I'll just see where to stick the next strand but don't quite see
        it now...

        Ed
      • knot_ferg
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 9, 2002
          Very nice! I can't tell from the picture - is the leather cord
          you're using round, or flat?
          CJ

          --- In knottyers@y..., avds_1 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > While going through some books and other material on pineapple
          knots I ran =
          > inti these Gaucho knots, described in the book Leather braiding by
          Bruce Gra=
          > nt. These knots look very nice and can be applied as a neckerchief
          slide or =
          > woggle. I gave the 3 pass gaucho knot a trie and the result can be
          seen in t=
          > he photo section under Gaucho knots.
          >
          > These knots look very complicated, but are fairly easy in tying.
          >

          > Happy knotting
          > André van der Salm
        • avds_1
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 10, 2002
            Ed,

            I don't know whether you own Bruce Grant's book or not, but from the drawin=
            gs in there I succeeded in making the knot in my very first attempt. It migh=
            t be a good thing to set up the knot in a much wider way than the end result=
            is going to be. This has the advantage of having much more space to stick y=
            our working end under and over, and it is easier to follow where you are.

            Hope this helps
            Regards
            André van der Salm

            --- In knottyers@y..., knotslipstick <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > --- In knottyers@y..., avds_1 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > While going through some books and other material on pineapple
            > knots I ran =
            > > inti these Gaucho knots, described in the book Leather braiding by
            > Bruce Gra=
            > > nt. These knots look very nice and can be applied as a neckerchief
            > slide or =
            > > woggle. I gave the 3 pass gaucho knot a trie and the result can be
            > seen in t=
            > > he photo section under Gaucho knots.
            > >
            > > These knots look very complicated, but are fairly easy in tying.
            > >

            > > Happy knotting
            > > André van der Salm
            >
            > Andre,
            >
            > Nice work. If tried a few myself but find that I get easily confused
            > about halfway thru the construction. I loose my place so to speak.
            > I think it is a matter of practice just as with ordinary Turks Heads
            > but it you have any pointers I'd appreciate it. For now I'm stuck
            > following the diagrams hoping I don't mess it up. I know that in
            > time I'll just see where to stick the next strand but don't quite see
            > it now...
            >
            > Ed
          • avds_1
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 10, 2002
              The string I used is square shaped. Actually these knots should be made whi=
              th leather lace (flat), but I had nothing of this material at hand so I just=
              gave it a try with the square type.

              Regards
              André v.d. Salm

              --- In knottyers@y..., "knot_ferg" <fergiface@y...> wrote:
              > Very nice! I can't tell from the picture - is the leather cord
              > you're using round, or flat?
              > CJ
              >
              > --- In knottyers@y..., avds_1 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > While going through some books and other material on pineapple
              > knots I ran =
              > > inti these Gaucho knots, described in the book Leather braiding by
              > Bruce Gra=
              > > nt. These knots look very nice and can be applied as a neckerchief
              > slide or =
              > > woggle. I gave the 3 pass gaucho knot a trie and the result can be
              > seen in t=
              > > he photo section under Gaucho knots.
              > >
              > > These knots look very complicated, but are fairly easy in tying.
              > >

              > > Happy knotting
              > > André van der Salm
            • donsimpson27609
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 10, 2002
                A good material for this type of knot is the rawhide boot laces
                you can buy in Kmart. They are 72" long each and just the right
                length.

                Don

                --- In knottyers@y..., avds_1 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > The string I used is square shaped. Actually these knots should be
                made whi=
                > th leather lace (flat), but I had nothing of this material at hand
                so I just=
                > gave it a try with the square type.
                >
                > Regards
                > André v.d. Salm
                >
                > --- In knottyers@y..., "knot_ferg" <fergiface@y...> wrote:
                > > Very nice! I can't tell from the picture - is the leather cord
                > > you're using round, or flat?
                > > CJ
                > >
                > > --- In knottyers@y..., avds_1 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                > > > While going through some books and other material on pineapple
                > > knots I ran =
                > > > inti these Gaucho knots, described in the book Leather
                braiding by
                > > Bruce Gra=
                > > > nt. These knots look very nice and can be applied as a
                neckerchief
                > > slide or =
                > > > woggle. I gave the 3 pass gaucho knot a trie and the result
                can be
                > > seen in t=
                > > > he photo section under Gaucho knots.
                > > >
                > > > These knots look very complicated, but are fairly easy in
                tying.

                > > > Happy knotting
                > > > André van der Salm
              • avds_1
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 10, 2002
                  These laces are probably very common in the US but here in The Netherlands =
                  I think it won't be easy to get them. Cutting my own lace from leather scrap=
                  s is the easiest option for me I think. On the other hand, these knots can a=
                  lso be tied with a nice looking piece of rope.

                  Regards
                  André

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 10, 2002
                    Andre,

                    Yes, the laces are very common here. I use them for Turks Head
                    Woggle's for the Scouts. Seventy-Two inches works well for a 5B X 3
                    L and three passes. Then finish with varnish.

                    Thanks for the comments I'll try it opened up. I've had a little
                    luck with them before -- I know it is like the first time I tried a
                    Turks Head -- came out a tangle of cord. I've got them figured out
                    now so moving on to these is a natural progression. I'll keep trying
                    and practicing. It will come to me.

                    Ed