Any volunteers to drag a n00b along on a cache hunt?

  • Chris Walker
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
      So I bought a Garmin Nuvi recently. Been sorta interested in this Geo
      caching thing since i first heard about it a few years ago. Now that I
      have a GPS - and signed up at geocaching.com - I find I'm clueless
      when it actually comes to finding the caches at the marked locations.

      So I'm wondering if any of you guys might be interested in dragging
      along a n00b sometime and show him the ropes.

      Drop me a note...or post here...or whatever...:_)
    • Dave Carpenter
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008

        What area are you in?  That might help for getting someone to volunteer to take you around.

        Also... you might want to check out (what else?) Geocaching for Dummies.  It's somewhat dated now, but still has good information about the hobby in it.

        Muad'dib

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
          --- In knock_cachers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Walker" <goonetics@...>
          wrote:

          > So I bought a Garmin Nuvi recently. Been sorta interested in this Geo
          > caching thing since i first heard about it a few years ago. Now that I
          > have a GPS - and signed up at geocaching.com - I find I'm clueless
          > when it actually comes to finding the caches at the marked locations.
          >
          > So I'm wondering if any of you guys might be interested in dragging
          > along a n00b sometime and show him the ropes.
          >
          > Drop me a note...or post here...or whatever...:_)

          I'd be happy to drag a n00b... I've done it before ;) [insert
          self-agrandizing link here...
          http://www.latimes.com/video/?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=2347163]

          I'm in the lakewood/redondo beach/huntington beach area, so let me know.
        • Chris Walker
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
            --- In knock_cachers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Carpenter <lb0157@...> wrote:

            > What area are you in?  That might help for getting someone to
            volunteer to take you around.

            > Also... you might want to check out (what else?) Geocaching for
            Dummies.  It's somewhat dated now, but still has good information
            about the hobby in it.

            > Muad'dib

            Hey -

            I'm actually in Costa Mesa. DOnt know if you guys would call that
            north OC or not but I do know my way around Fullerton/Buena
            Park/Anaheim fairly well....used to live in Fullerton

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
              --- In knock_cachers@yahoogroups.com, "travail4bio" <travail@...> wrote:

              > I'd be happy to drag a n00b... I've done it before ;) [insert
              > self-agrandizing link here...

              http://www.latimes.com/video/?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=2347163]

              > I'm in the lakewood/redondo beach/huntington beach area, so let me know.

              Great :-) - I live in Costa Mesa these days. SO sounds like we're
              close a little.....at least if yoyu're towards the HB end of that
              spectrum.....so lets do the dead Travail :0)
            • Dave Carpenter
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008

                We're in the West end of the county.  I have much of the west end in my PDA, from the 91 Fwy  to the coast and Beach Blvd to the county line.  I also have spotty from Beach down to Newport Beach.

                Maybe we can get together sometime for some searching in the coastal area... say from the 405 to the coast.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 4, 2008
                  --- In knock_cachers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Carpenter <lb0157@...> wrote:

                  > We're in the West end of the county.  I have much of the west end in
                  my PDA, from the 91 Fwy  to the coast and Beach Blvd to the county
                  line.  I also have spotty from Beach down to Newport Beach.

                  > Maybe we can get together sometime for some searching in the coastal
                  area... say from the 405 to the coast.

                  Dave - that would be great. I live near the end of the 55, about 3
                  miles north of PCH/Newport Blvd - and hang around the Pier a lot - so
                  I have pocket queries centered at my house and the pier from
                  Geocaching.com - so i;'ve got most of costa mesa and Newport covered
                  south of the 405 to the water, along with a lot of HB. WOuld be
                  nothing for me to add queries for say Irvine, and Laguna if ya wanna
                  go that far south. So Lets hook up somwhere along PCH - any suggestions?

                • ms_america_1
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 5, 2008
                    Pardon me for not responding sooner (computer is toast) but WELCOME
                    to geocaching and to KNOCK, Chris! We (Nascar1 and MissAmerica)live
                    in Cypress and could meet up with ya if you like. We (KNOCK) also
                    plan many group caching runs too, so if you wanna join us just watch
                    for our postings here.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 5, 2008
                      Great guys -
                      Well - I'l lbe watching for your group hunts posts...
                      ANd let me know if ya plan on comming down towards Costa Mesa on a
                      cahce run - i'll even meet ya at starbucks and let ya get online for a
                      bit on my laptop...

                      --- In knock_cachers@yahoogroups.com, "ms_america_1"
                      <ms_america_1@...> wrote:

                      > Pardon me for not responding sooner (computer is toast) but WELCOME
                      > to geocaching and to KNOCK, Chris! We (Nascar1 and MissAmerica)live
                      > in Cypress and could meet up with ya if you like. We (KNOCK) also
                      > plan many group caching runs too, so if you wanna join us just watch
                      > for our postings here.
                      >

                      > --- In knock_cachers@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Walker" <goonetics@>
                      > wrote:
                      ]\