VEPS February 15th. Topanga Formation/Crystal Cove

  • Birdcachers
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3 5:49 AM
      While we are still watching the weather, we have our VEPS activity scheduled for February 15th. We will be hiking to Topanga Formation Features-El Moro Canyon (GCQ4ZR). This is down near Crystal Cove. This is about a 4.5 mile round trip hike, with about 500 elevation change. The elevation change looks moderate for this one. My whole family would be joining me for this hike. I believe only one other cache along the trail. If we are not too tired, we would probably go after Monterey Formation Folds and Oil-Corona Del Mar (GCZCHD). That one looks about 1 mile round trip and is only a little ways up the coast.

      Please let me know if you are interested either by posting here or at birdcachers@.... I will be looking for final head count next week, and will determine if we will need to switch the date due to weather. We hope to see you out there!

      Craig

    • Birdcachers
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5 6:16 AM
        NEWS FLASH

        From the Crystal Cove website. There has been significant damage to the backcountry from the recent rains. El Moro Canyon has been hit especially hard, with exposed bedrock in several places where the topsoil was washed away. The backcountry will be closed until repairs can be made, which will probably be a couple of weeks.... I will provide a Plan B this evening. I am leaning towards Woodson Mtn, Clevenger Canyon in San Diego. Shorter hikes with some elevation change, but if I think we could pull together Look Out (the hike from Mt. Wilson down)that is an option too... More to come!

        --- In knock_cachers@yahoogroups.com, "Birdcachers" <birdcachers@...> wrote:

        > While we are still watching the weather, we have our VEPS activity scheduled for February 15th. We will be hiking to Topanga Formation Features-El Moro Canyon (GCQ4ZR). This is down near Crystal Cove. This is about a 4.5 mile round trip hike, with about 500 elevation change. The elevation change looks moderate for this one. My whole family would be joining me for this hike. I believe only one other cache along the trail. If we are not too tired, we would probably go after Monterey Formation Folds and Oil-Corona Del Mar (GCZCHD). That one looks about 1 mile round trip and is only a little ways up the coast.
        >
        > Please let me know if you are interested either by posting here or at birdcachers@... I will be looking for final head count next week, and will determine if we will need to switch the date due to weather. We hope to see you out there!
        >
        > Craig

      • Birdcachers
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6 8:27 AM
          I found a very good alternative! Canyon Cache Virtual GC1978 is back up and running. We will do this one, and the Monterey Folds Earthcache on the 15th. I have not researched the Canyon Cache yet, but will provide information tomorrow. Gotta go be a cookie dad for a cookie booth!

          --- In knock_cachers@yahoogroups.com, "Birdcachers" <birdcachers@...> wrote:

          > NEWS FLASH
          >
          > From the Crystal Cove website. There has been significant damage to the backcountry from the recent rains. El Moro Canyon has been hit especially hard, with exposed bedrock in several places where the topsoil was washed away. The backcountry will be closed until repairs can be made, which will probably be a couple of weeks.... I will provide a Plan B this evening. I am leaning towards Woodson Mtn, Clevenger Canyon in San Diego. Shorter hikes with some elevation change, but if I think we could pull together Look Out (the hike from Mt. Wilson down)that is an option too... More to come!
          >

          > --- In knock_cachers@yahoogroups.com, "Birdcachers" <birdcachers@> wrote:
          > >
          > > While we are still watching the weather, we have our VEPS activity scheduled for February 15th. We will be hiking to Topanga Formation Features-El Moro Canyon (GCQ4ZR). This is down near Crystal Cove. This is about a 4.5 mile round trip hike, with about 500 elevation change. The elevation change looks moderate for this one. My whole family would be joining me for this hike. I believe only one other cache along the trail. If we are not too tired, we would probably go after Monterey Formation Folds and Oil-Corona Del Mar (GCZCHD). That one looks about 1 mile round trip and is only a little ways up the coast.
          > >
          > > Please let me know if you are interested either by posting here or at birdcachers@ I will be looking for final head count next week, and will determine if we will need to switch the date due to weather. We hope to see you out there!
          > >
          > > Craig

        • Birdcachers
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7 7:20 PM
            Ok, for the first small hike, it looks like we can meet at GC1REMT, head up to GC1REPB, then head over to the posted coordinates for the Canyon Cache Virtual (GC1978). There should be nothing there, but we will follow protocol and go to the coords first. It should be a nice area to walk through anyway. From there, we will double back to GC1REPB, then over to the Canyon Cache Answer Coordinates (answer already known, but we complete the actual cache, prior to logging). From there, we will head over to GC1TQ76, then to GC1RW4C, then down to GCWNFZ and over to GC1RPB7. From there we will head back to the cars (GC1REMT). Round trip looks like about 1.5 miles total of 7 caches including the Virtual. Not much elevation change.

            Afterwards, you can either continue caching/walking through some more of the Talbert Regional Park for other caches, or you can join us for a drive down near Corona Del Mar for Monterey Formation Folds and Oil Earthcache-GCZCHD. This one is about 1 mile round trip, with a little elevation difference.

            Due to the rains, should be finished for the day after that. We are trying to reschedule the Topanga Formation Earthcache for either March or April.

            If you are interested in joining us for this adventure, please let me know by Thursday at 5:00 PM. We hope to see you there!

            --- In knock_cachers@yahoogroups.com, "Birdcachers" <birdcachers@...> wrote:

            > I found a very good alternative! Canyon Cache Virtual GC1978 is back up and running. We will do this one, and the Monterey Folds Earthcache on the 15th. I have not researched the Canyon Cache yet, but will provide information tomorrow. Gotta go be a cookie dad for a cookie booth!
            >

            > --- In knock_cachers@yahoogroups.com, "Birdcachers" <birdcachers@> wrote:
            > >
            > > NEWS FLASH
            > >
            > > From the Crystal Cove website. There has been significant damage to the backcountry from the recent rains. El Moro Canyon has been hit especially hard, with exposed bedrock in several places where the topsoil was washed away. The backcountry will be closed until repairs can be made, which will probably be a couple of weeks.... I will provide a Plan B this evening. I am leaning towards Woodson Mtn, Clevenger Canyon in San Diego. Shorter hikes with some elevation change, but if I think we could pull together Look Out (the hike from Mt. Wilson down)that is an option too... More to come!
            > >

            > > --- In knock_cachers@yahoogroups.com, "Birdcachers" <birdcachers@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > While we are still watching the weather, we have our VEPS activity scheduled for February 15th. We will be hiking to Topanga Formation Features-El Moro Canyon (GCQ4ZR). This is down near Crystal Cove. This is about a 4.5 mile round trip hike, with about 500 elevation change. The elevation change looks moderate for this one. My whole family would be joining me for this hike. I believe only one other cache along the trail. If we are not too tired, we would probably go after Monterey Formation Folds and Oil-Corona Del Mar (GCZCHD). That one looks about 1 mile round trip and is only a little ways up the coast.
            > > >
            > > > Please let me know if you are interested either by posting here or at birdcachers@ I will be looking for final head count next week, and will determine if we will need to switch the date due to weather. We hope to see you out there!
            > > >
            > > > Craig

          • Birdcachers
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 9 8:29 PM
              As a note, we will be meeting at 9:00AM at the posted cache.