re:Need some GPS advice

  • n6uzs1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2009
      *My friend Bill has some GPS questions...if anyone has some advice please post here. Thanks!*

      I'm having trouble selecting a Garmin GPS unit.

      If I buy the 60Cx for $240 from Costco, I think I need to buy the topo maps in addition for $100. Cost - $ 340.
      The Oregon 400t @ $390 from Costco comes pre-loaded with topo maps.

      So for an extra $50 I get a much better GPS unit.

       Am I missing something, or is my thinking correct? Please advise.

      Nutrition

    • Jerry

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 8, 2009
          If your friend is willing to spend that much for a GPSr, then suggest he take a look at the Delorme PN-40.  It is very highly rated, and is pretty much regarded as the best GPSr for geocaching.  He should check out their web site, and also do a google search and read some reviews about it... see what people think of it, now that it's been out for a few months.

          A couple of bonus's... it comes with rechargable batteries (and can use regular AA's in need be)... it comes with Delorme's Topo 8.  It has LOTS of memory for data, waypoints, sky views, GPX files, etc...

          I did a google search, and came up with an unbelievable deal...   WalMart had it for $399, but has marked it down to $328.  Unbelievable!

          If I didn't already have a pair of Garmin Vista HCx handhelds for geocaching and a Nuvi for street navigation, I'd be running off to grab one of these babies before someone wakes up and realizes what a deal it is.