Re: [knock_cachers] A Kiwi coming to L.A ( Anehiem or Buena Park)

  • n6uzs1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 23 , May 1, 2009
      Not one to pass up an opportunity for an event I just realized there's
      potential here with your arrival. When you can peg down a date and let us
      know that would be great. Actually Anaheim/Buena Park is really part of
      Orange County with LA in our backyard.

      Others can plan cache runs around this event as part of your Welcoming
      Committee. I see a "Kiwi Series" in your future.

      By the way my favorite Kiwis include Ridley Scott, Tony Scott, and Peter
      Jackson. We played Mr. Jackson in a skit on a local talk show many years
      ago. I will have to dig up the pix! I worked with Ridley on "Matchstick
      Men" and Tony on "The Fan" many moons ago.

      So what kind of FOOD do you like? ;)

      Richard.

      On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 06:26:53 -0000 "thewonderstuff1"
      <thewonderstuff1@...> writes:
      > Hi
      >
      > We came over a few years ago, but this time we will have time for
      > more caching!! :)
      Give back to your community. Click here to start a new career as a Police officer.
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTEe1Xj4M0GPvQH1XN8gh5exzD3kJ0srsK3sJ6qMgGEubpSaR7s47m/
    • thewonderstuff1
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2009
        Hi Richard

        29 Aug we arrive - leave 11 sept from San Francisco. We will probally fly to San Fran 7th of Sept. Want to visit Yosmite Park - I see there maybe 2 test Earthcaches there soon?

        Yes, I want to hold an event - ideally near our motel/hotel. When we have booked accom will inform.

        I know its not about the numbers,,,,but this time it is....a little.

        We drive on the other side of the road here in NZ, so Im gonna have to take care.

        I would love 2 place 2 or 3 more urban caches over here near where we stay - if anyone can be a care taker, please let me know. Ill do a maitaince check on my disney cache while in town.

        Food - steak and ribs of course ;) -

        Slowly picking out areas for a cache raid..... want to head to the beaches one day with mrs TWS.

        If anyone is keen, Im happy to be taken out on a few days on a numbers run - cache raid - 66 is the best I have done in a day - pretty certain I can beat that in the USA.

        The Sunday after we arrive would be a good day to organise that - or the following sat/sun - before we head to San Fran. Im awrae most work mon to fri - maybe someone can accomply Mrs TWS with some shopping while Im on the cache raid?

        Early days at the mo - excited -

        Any ideas - thoughts - let me know.

        Cam and Linda

        PS - forgot Ridley was a kiwi ! -

        Message 3 of 23 , May 7, 2009
          Ok, started looking at our PQ's..... brought a brand new Oregon 300 too - Will arrive Saturday .

          http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o84/tws10/untitled-5.jpg
          Burena park/Aneheim ( spelling is hopefully ok)

          http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o84/tws10/untitled4.jpg
          Palm Springs

          http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o84/tws10/untitled3.jpg
          Santa Monica/Venice Beach etc

          http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o84/tws10/untitled1.jpg
          Santa Anna Area - Look at that trail.

          Any off these areas dangerous?

          Theres a few 10 km's east of Downtown LA - East LA? Is that area ok to cache in? Any areas I need to avoid?

          Any other good areas to visit?

          Cam
        • Angie Evans
          Message 4 of 23 , May 8, 2009
            Buena Park should be fine
            Palm Springs will be hot but lots of fun
            Santa Monica will be ok
            Santa Ana, ummm some will say that city has some areas that arent bad but I will just say this: I wouldnt cache there at night
            and Los Angeles is a big area but I wouldnt be there at night either, East LA is the worst I think

            Good areas:
            For beach caching: Huntington Beach and Newport Beach (There are 2 webcam caches there too)
            Quality caches: Covina area or Palm Springs (it will be hot but you will get tons of high quality caches)
            High Density: Redlands area is loaded with caches
            Fun Series to do: Heartburn (Near Palm Springs), No Clue, Tarot Card, 80 Days (Orange County)

            Message 5 of 23 , May 8, 2009
              If you're in Palm Springs look me up. I haven't been caching in far too long. Need a good binge and this is the place for it. It's been in the 100s lately, though.

              Message 6 of 23 , May 8, 2009
                I live near Santa Ana and agree it's probably not the best place to go at
                night and even the day in some spots. If you're caching along the Santa
                Ana River Trail north of there thru Orange and Anaheim you can grab
                caches every .20 or so from Chapman Ave northward. It's walkable with a
                paved trail. Just watch for fast bikes!

                Best of luck.

                On Fri, 08 May 2009 06:34:19 -0000 "thewonderstuff1" <cameron@...>
                writes:
                > Ok, started looking at our PQ's..... brought a brand new Oregon 300
                > too - Will arrive Saturday .
                >> http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o84/tws10/untitled1.jpg
                > Santa Anna Area - Look at that trail.

                Click now for prescreened plumbing contractors.
                http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTRHI8MREFQEXAzTV0drYeapbPGbTdpPF0ttjSPwQMMjCWn1nbICG0/
              • thewonderstuff1
                Message 7 of 23 , May 9, 2009
                  Ok, thanks for the info - probally wont be doing many at night - We went down the Santa Anna canal last time and picked up 10 or so in an hour and a bit - then we found a fire station to ring a taxi for us - yep, didnt want to appear on a episode of cops ;)

                  Anyway, slowly planning out the days - see below.

                  Questions:
                  Drive time from Buena Park/Anahiem to Palm Springs?
                  Drive time from Buena Park/Anahiem to Palmdae - no clue series?
                  Across to newport beach
                  Across to venice beach/Santa Monica

                  Im aware of the traffic on weekdays, but plan to leave early and try and beat the traffic - if that is possible :)

                  USA

                  Sat – suss out a few near motel

                  Sun- Beverly Hills/Hollywood?

                  Monday – Santa monica Beach/Venice beach etc

                  Tuesday – Newport beach area?

                  Wednesday – Covina – Santa Ana area

                  Thursday – Palmdale – no clue series

                  Friday – Locally around motel – event that night?

                  Saturday – San Diego

                  Sunday – Palm Springs

                  Monday – Fly to San Fran – go to Alcratraz -

                  Tuesday – Yosimite (Stay the night)

                  Wednesday – San fran –

                  Thursday – San Fran

                  Friday – San Frans - airport

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 10, 2009
                    http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o84/tws10/newport.jpg

                    Just need a bike - goes further north down the trail to - mucked up the gsak pologon tool
                  • knc_geocachers
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 10, 2009
                      Check out our Bookmark List...

                      http://tinyurl.com/BikenCache

                      If you start at Castaway Park, you can drive most of the way East & North to Jamboree. Then you can ride the bikes for about 4 miles to Irvine Civic Center. There is a Memorial Park you can park a vehicle at to shuttle when you finish. We have done this whole run in a day, as long as you get an early Start.

                      There is also another less ambitious River Trail Run here...
                      http://tinyurl.com/RiverWalkHB

                      We have some other Bookmark Lists for OC that are fairly easy runs...
                      http://tinyurl.com/KnCBookMarks

                      Enjoy!

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 10, 2009
                        I'm starting a Kiwi-Pedia so we know exactly what you mean by "mucked
                        up." ;)

                        On Sun, 10 May 2009 07:58:57 -0000 "thewonderstuff1" <cameron@...>
                        writes:
                        > http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o84/tws10/newport.jpg
                        >
                        > Just need a bike - goes further north down the trail to - mucked up
                        > the gsak pologon tool

                        Workers Compensation Legal Advice. Click here
                        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTOcqHgCJ3LcGCGLpQ2XzTzb5L9Jmi5VFrTN5FzpILt3lE0ebgc1tG/
                      • n6uzs1@juno.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 10, 2009
                          See answers below in BOLD:

                          On Sat, 09 May 2009 07:48:05 -0000 "thewonderstuff1" <cameron@...>
                          writes:
                          > Ok, thanks for the info - probally wont be doing many at night - We
                          > went down the Santa Anna canal last time and picked up 10 or so in
                          > an hour and a bit - then we found a fire station to ring a taxi for
                          > us - yep, didnt want to appear on a episode of cops ;)
                          >
                          > Anyway, slowly planning out the days - see below.
                          >
                          > Questions:
                          > Drive time from Buena Park/Anahiem to Palm Springs?

                          90 MINUTES TYPICAL, 2 HOURS WITH RUSH HOUR

                          > Drive time from Buena Park/Anahiem to Palmdae - no clue series?

                          SAME AS PALM SPRINGS TRIP

                          > Across to newport beach

                          30 MINUTES

                          > Across to venice beach/Santa Monica

                          ONE HOUR TYPICAL, 90 MINUTES RUSH HOUR

                          > Im aware of the traffic on weekdays, but plan to leave early and try
                          > and beat the traffic - if that is possible :)

                          RUSH HOUR, 6:30AM-9:30AM AND 3PM-7PM
                          You have a right to seek justice! Click here to find experienced lawyers across the USA.
                          http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTOhjUEtpiD4vBGHfuh80lJWk5a2DxDUWwHGCG6p3nICsfYbuTiBcU/
                        • thewonderstuff1
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 11, 2009
                            http://www.chemistry.co.nz/kiwi.htm

                            :) :)

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 12, 2009
                              Great - this is great info.

                              Man, rush hour runs for half the day!

                              Been looking at Covina - That is a very condensed area for sure. Will it be ok to visit on a weekday? Traffic wise?

                              Now down in Newport beach we can hire a bike at Balboa Pier and cactch a ferry to Balboa Island, then across to the mainland and onto the bikencache series, head north, then on way back head down pacific highway to the east, then back around to bike hire shop.

                              Right, Ill have my cell phone on global roaming. I will have a mate in NZ that will be able to take webcam pics - but the time difference may be a problem.

                              Is there anyone here who works near a pc all day and would be so kind to help me out with this task - taking my photos?

                              I would only text - as calling on global roaming is very expensive.

                              Or is this a good option maybe for us?

                              http://www.tracfone.com/autopay_enrollment/new_BP_Program.jsp?nextPage=new_BP_Program.jsp&task=autopay&AID=SAC2

                              Single RateCall nationally, internationally or roam at local call rates
                              Motorola W175 Features:Features text messaging, voice mail, free caller ID, free call waiting*
                              Color screen display
                              Crystal Talk™ Voice Enhancement
                              Handsfree Speaker
                              Vibration Alert
                              Phone Book with up to 500 Entries
                              35 pre-loaded ringtones
                              Alarm Clock
                              Lightweight - 2.96 ounces
                              Battery life with up to 6.5 hours of talk time and up to 18 days of standby time
                              TracFone Airtime Balance Display shows you how much airtime you've used and how much is left, so you control your costs
                              Includes up to 20 minutes of starter airtime upon activation**
                              TracFone Nationwide Prepaid WirelessNo activation fees, contracts, monthly bills or credit checks
                              Nationwide long distance included

                              $9.95 for the phone - top ups I can handle.

                              Any thoughts on these please?

                              Cam

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 12, 2009
                                Crikey! More cool info.

                                Thank you

                                Message 15 of 23 , May 12, 2009
                                  On Tue, 12 May 2009 06:25:46 -0000 "thewonderstuff1" <cameron@...>
                                  writes:
                                  > http://www.chemistry.co.nz/kiwi.htm
                                  >
                                  > :) :)

                                  Well OK then it makes complete sense now....

                                  1. I *love* to host a "bun-fight" a couple times a year. ;)

                                  2. "Chook" on the barbie sounds good right about now.

                                  3. Are you bringing any pinky bars?
                                  Earn your college degree at your own pace, 100% online!
                                  http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTKL6dJlrLB0qJlaaBzh8cUpBVz0dATppEBP9v1wfC6GiK0hhTvNxW/
                                • Angie Evans
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 12, 2009
                                    Who says the computer will rot your brain?  Over the past few months I have learned that we have 7 continents and 80 countries and which continents they are in and now I get to learn a new language!  Some of my favorites so far are:
                                    bit of a dag-One imfamous cacher comes to mind on this one
                                    bun fight-just the name makes me chuckle
                                    cackhanded-ack I am cackhanded and I never knew it
                                    crook-hmm we have that word in our language but it has a way different meaning
                                    finger stalls: very direct way of saying this so hmmmmm
                                    french letter-why not a Spanish letter or a Canadian letter?
                                    gumboots-hmmm might not find too many caches with gum on my boots
                                    guts for garters-I wonder if I will have this because of this email?
                                    pack a sad-very interesting wording
                                    pikelet-sounds yummy
                                    rack off and rark up-could these 2 be used in the same sentence
                                    sparrow fart-definately not me or would be said about me
                                    super loo-never heard of such a thing
                                    suss-wonderstuff used this word and I never knew what they meant and it makes sense now
                                    wop-wops-sometimes we end up in these places while looking for a cache

                                    Thanks for the lessons

                                    Angie
                                    MA1

                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 12, 2009
                                      Covina during the week will be fine I think

                                      As for being near a pc for the webcam pics, they keep an archive for 24 hours....so you can jot down the time you are there you can return later to your computer and then go find your picture to save it OR have one of us KNOCKers save it for you.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 14, 2009
                                        Great, still sussing ;) it all out. The webcam down at Monica seems ok to - you can just take a digital photo :) at the sign. Maybe a few up in San Fran - but yet to look to hard there yet - so many caches - so little time. We need to win Lotto!!

                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 14, 2009
                                          Pinky bars - sure! Ill trade for peanut butter M&M's

                                          http://www.sanza.co.uk/apps/shop/pics/4061.jpg