Help!

  • jhweise@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 20, 2002
      Hello to all of you!  I am new to this list and a very new knitter.  Well, I have picked it up, again, after 30 years.  The only thing I have knit before this past month, was a baby sweater for each of my two children.  That, only because when I was expecting my first baby in 1972, people still did that.  If you were pregnant, you knit!

      Okay, with that all said, I am a 52 y/o RN, originally from San Francisco, but currently and for the last 16 yrs have lived in Tennessee.  I also care for my elderly father (85) in my home, as well as my elderly mother-in-law (91), also in my home.  My husband is a great help.  Anyway, I decided to take up knitting for stress reduction.  Now I have questions.  What or who is Caillou?

      My 28 yr/old daughter wants me to knit her a hat, similar to what I would call a Scandinavian style hat, with the ear flaps, multi colored, etc.  What is this hat called and where do I find a pattern?  What are the best yarns to use for such?  I have seen this hat in the movie "I Am Sam".  Lucy is wearing a hat like this when she is being brought to her birthday party, just before she runs away.  Any help here?
      I know I am being too wordy.  Isn't the Internet fun when you can be "knitting" with people in Europe and Australia all at the same time?
      Janet Weise in Tennessee, USA
    • PStone3188@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 2, 2003
        Hi Janet,
        Welcome to the group.
        You sure are a busy person taking care of 2 elderly family members!!!
        I found a pattern but not sure if it's what you want
        www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/proj_helmet_1299.html
        Hope this helps.
        I grew up in San Francisco & moved down to San Diego in 1975.
        When I did a search for Caillou, it seems to be a toy. If you just do a search for Caillou, it brings up a lot of sites you can check out.
        Have a great day,
        Pat S.
      • rebl75@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 2, 2003
          Hi Janet Weise in Tennessee.  You must be really something to be caring for your father and your mother-in-law.  You will be happy that you were able to take care of them years from not when they are no longer with you.  No wonder you need to knit to ease your stress.  I was wondering the same thing about the hat.  I have no idea what it is but have seen requests for it before on this site.
          Keep up the good work and "happy knitting".
        • JPM166@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 2, 2003
            Janet:  check out Lion Brand website and also Red Heart Yarn webside.  They offer free patterns and they are quite good.
            I, too, knit my way through many stressful moments when I cared for my mother.  She was a knitter also and knit many, many squares for "Warm Up America".  I would mail boxes of squares to WUA for women to put together for needy people.  I didn't like to sew the squares together.  My mother passed away in Feb. of 2000.  I still have a partially knit square still on the needles in the middle of a row that she was working on before she went into the hospital.  I don't have the heart to do anything with it.   I miss her so much and just sitting and knitting with her.
            Welcome to this group.  It's fun.  Good luck.  Jo-Ann
          • Jenette Chapman

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 3, 2003
                Caillou is a children's show about a preschool boy and his adventures with his cat Gilbert.(The boy whines a lot.)  Gilbert also has adventures, between Caillou cartoons, as a moving stuffed animal with the teddy bear and toy dinosaur as moving creatures too.  I prefer the toy parts of the episodes, but it does teach sharing and some values.

                Andie : )
                Andrea Christine Tilley, Wife to Frank for 12 years
                Work-at-home/Homeschooling Mom to Erica(11), Jenny(6) and Amanda(3)
                ICQ#2049247/Yahoo!Messenger: act_elephant

              • Knit4EverAfter@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 3, 2003
                  Jennette, here is a google.com result.  The link is there for you to explore as well.
                  Hope this helps.
                  http://www.edutainingkids.com/reviews/cailloumagplayhouse.html

                  Four-year-old Caillou is an animated boy that kids can't help but love. He is curious, fun, and loves to learn--and he faces all sorts of everyday dilemmas that preschoolers can easily identify with. We were delighted to find that the PBS Kids show has made its debut on CD-ROM. Best yet, the two titles available are very worthwhile. Magic Playhouse and Birthday Party are unlikely to disappoint little fans.

                  Lifetime Hugs,

                  ©AlexSandyThompson Fiber/Needle Artist-Socknitter-Humanitarian-Mother-Friend
                  FREE TEST FOR THE FREEZING UP & BOOTED OUT PROBLEMS ON YOUR COMPUTER: http://pcdocrx.com/go.cgi/61885ath

                  NO BUGS ON ME!  Updated hourly!!

                • Patricia Steeves
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 3, 2003
                    caillou is a cartoon little boy, originally french i think.  he has a very round head.  reminds me of charlie brown somewhat.
                    he has a baby sister and a cat named gilbert.

                    pat in nb canada

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 4, 2003
                      you should keep the square just like it is; it was her last rpoject.

                      Janet:  check out Lion Brand website and also Red Heart Yarn webside.  They offer free patterns and they are quite good.
                      I, too, knit my way through many stressful moments when I cared for my mother.  She was a knitter also and knit many, many squares for "Warm Up America".  I would mail boxes of squares to WUA for women to put together for needy people.  I didn't like to sew the squares together.  My mother passed away in Feb. of 2000.  I still have a partially knit square still on the needles in the middle of a row that she was working on before she went into the hospital.  I don't have the heart to do anything with it.   I miss her so much and just sitting and knitting with her.
                      Welcome to this group.  It's fun.  Good luck.  Jo-Ann

                    • Linda Belli
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 4, 2003
                        Caillou is a small character that is presently very popular among children. I has no hair and a round face.
                        Linda in Québec  with a bit of snow.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 6, 2003
                          In a message dated 01/06/2003 10:16:16 AM Eastern Standard Time, jenettebc@... writes:

                          you should keep the square just like it is; it was her last rpoject

                          I intend to do that.  It use to break my heart to even look at it.  Even though it hurts a little, and it's almost three years since she passed away, now I like to hold it and look at it.  Life sure gives us some bumps.
                        • Jenette Chapman
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 6, 2003
                            thanks; i had wondered.     Hopefully we will get a dusting of snow in tidewater tonight.

                            Caillou is a small character that is presently very popular among children. I has no hair and a round face.
                            Linda in Québec  with a bit of snow.
                            welcome to the group;i asked what caillou was also but haven't gotten a reply. we came to Gatlinburg monday before Christmas because grandma lives about 30 miles away and we honeymooned there 32 years ago. Jenette in Virginia

                            Hello to all of you!  I am new to this list and a very new knitter.  Well, I have picked i...............

                          • Thelma Parkin
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 7, 2003
                              Hi why don't you get a picture frame and mount the square behind the glass this way it will be preserved and not get dirty and you will always have it on show.  Thelma down under

                              Do you Yahoo!?
                            • JPM166@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 8, 2003
                                In a message dated 01/08/2003 10:03:53 AM Eastern Standard Time, thelmaparkin@... writes:

                                Hi why don't you get a picture frame and mount the square behind the glass this way it will be preserved and not get dirty and you will always have it on show.  Thelma down under

                                Thelma:  Are you talking about the knitted square that my mother left unfinished before she passed away.  Thanks.  Jo-Ann
                              • Thelma Parkin
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 10, 2003
                                  Yes Jo-Anne I think that anything you want to keep the way it was you need to do this then it cann't be accidently thrown out or have something happen to it and it's always on show.      Thelma

                                  Do you Yahoo!?