Re: Free At Last

  • demonspawn2578
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 3, 2004
      Kaleb nodded in agreement, not sure how Dante could possibly know him
      to be a master thief. Oh well, though, that didn't matter right now.
      This people didn't have anything he'd want anyway. After thanking
      Dante shortly, he ate his food pretty quickly, feeling a little
      better afterwards, he followed his first instructions and went
      upstairs, finding the room he had spoke of. Lying on the soft bed,
      covered in the warm blanket, he drifted in and out of
      consciousness. "'Just helping an ally.'" Dante had said...what did he
      mean? His next action would have to be finding Justin. He had to be
      near...he always was. And so he'd find him, tell him what happened,
      and see if he knew anything of the princess...but now he slept,
      probably more deeply than neccessary, but he was just so tired...

      tag any

      --- In knights_kingdom@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew" <evendeth@l...>
      wrote:
      > Purple electricity sparked momentarily at Kaleb's grasp, "Just
      > helping an ally." He found that a room had been made for Kaleb, to
      be
      > stuck onto Dante's hundred year old tab, "Yours is the one across
      > from mine, these are good folks, so don't steal anything."
    • Matthew
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 3, 2004
        Dante went back to his room, noting that no one had left since he
        had. He turned the knob and went inside, "It's always fun to make new
        friends." Dante said, then answering thier puzzled look on thier
        faces, "A man that has just escaped from the castle dungeon is
        sleeping in the other room. Do not disturb him." Dante lay down onto
        his own bed, and went to sleep.

        ooc: Dante didn't know, it was just a general warning.
      • justice
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 3, 2004
          Justin tried to consider his answer to Kaelan while
          Dante was gone from the room. He'd only met Dante
          once before and only then briefly. His actions,
          though, spoke of an honorable character.
          On the other hand...the thing inside Dante was...
          "The man...I can trust enough. The thing within,
          however, I can't. Though its strength is beyond any
          fiend I've yet faced." At his master's last comment,
          Justin simply grinned. "A strong one. Even as a man,
          he is no normal human."
          Dante came back in at that moment, preventing them
          from discussing it further. "An escaped prisoner?"
          He glanced at Kaelan. "From *here*?" He didn't know
          how the other knew this, but Dante's cavalier attitude
          toward it didn't extend to Justin. "If he was
          imprisoned here, I'm sure it was for a good reason."
          He caught his master's eye. "He may be dangerous."

          <tag>

          --- Matthew <evendeth@...> wrote:
          > Dante went back to his room, noting that no one had
          > left since he
          > had. He turned the knob and went inside, "It's
          > always fun to make new
          > friends." Dante said, then answering thier puzzled
          > look on thier
          > faces, "A man that has just escaped from the castle
          > dungeon is
          > sleeping in the other room. Do not disturb him."
          > Dante lay down onto
          > his own bed, and went to sleep.
          >
          > ooc: Dante didn't know, it was just a general
          > warning.

        • demonspawn2578
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 3, 2004
            Kaleb awoke...it was night now, and he wasn't sure how long it had
            been since he had fallen asleep. He sat up and looked at his clothes,
            feeling disgusted with himself, it was definitely time for a change
            of clothes. He got up out of his bed and walked around the room, he
            felt quite a bit better than he had when he had fallen asleep. But,
            he was still short one sword, and in a definite need of new clothes.
            He left the room at a brisk pace, leaving the door open as he did so.
            He walked down the stairs silently, like only a master thief could,
            and out the front door he went. He travelled around the town for a
            bit, refamiliarizing himself with the place. Finally, he had come
            across the perfect candidate.

            He stood with his back to the man, expecting the next event better
            than the man could've known. He felt his arm come around Kaleb's neck
            and the dagger to his back. "Come with me, fella, everything'll be
            fine." Kaleb let himself be guided into a nearby alley. He was shoved
            into the corner. "Give me your money, now!" the mugger exclaimed.
            Kaleb shook his head, "don't have any, smart one," he said a little
            sarcastically. In anger, the young man charged at him, but Kaleb was
            a bit too fast, he sidestepped out of the way of the blade and
            grabbed him by the wrist. Twisting his mugger around, he popped his
            elbow out in the wrong direction and grabbed the dagger before it hit
            the ground. Hitting the man on the head with the base of the handle
            on the dagger, he went unconscious. Kaleb worked quickly, taking the
            black shirt and pants, along with the black robe the man happened to
            be wearing. It even came with a neat little sheath for the dagger he
            now owned! He went back to his room, where he'd wait for Dante to
            return, a little unsure of what to do from here...

            tag

            --- In knights_kingdom@yahoogroups.com, justice <j_knights@y...>
            wrote:
            > Justin tried to consider his answer to Kaelan while
            > Dante was gone from the room. He'd only met Dante
            > once before and only then briefly. His actions,
            > though, spoke of an honorable character.
            > On the other hand...the thing inside Dante was...
            > "The man...I can trust enough. The thing within,
            > however, I can't. Though its strength is beyond any
            > fiend I've yet faced." At his master's last comment,
            > Justin simply grinned. "A strong one. Even as a man,
            > he is no normal human."
            > Dante came back in at that moment, preventing them
            > from discussing it further. "An escaped prisoner?"
            > He glanced at Kaelan. "From *here*?" He didn't know
            > how the other knew this, but Dante's cavalier attitude
            > toward it didn't extend to Justin. "If he was
            > imprisoned here, I'm sure it was for a good reason."
            > He caught his master's eye. "He may be dangerous."
            >
            > <tag>
            >

            > --- Matthew <evendeth@l...> wrote:
            > > Dante went back to his room, noting that no one had
            > > left since he
            > > had. He turned the knob and went inside, "It's
            > > always fun to make new
            > > friends." Dante said, then answering thier puzzled
            > > look on thier
            > > faces, "A man that has just escaped from the castle
            > > dungeon is
            > > sleeping in the other room. Do not disturb him."
            > > Dante lay down onto
            > > his own bed, and went to sleep.
            > >
            > > ooc: Dante didn't know, it was just a general
            > > warning.

          • The Walrus
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 4, 2004
              Kaelan nodded once, briefly. How long before the guards caught up with them
              now? "We'll have to move on from here, soon." he noted, trying to keep the
              aggravation from his tone. He hadn't really intended to go on the run that
              week. "Especially if they're looking for an escaped prisoner now, too.
              They'll search every home and inn in the city... it won't be long, I
              guarantee."
              As he spoke, he glanced out of the window, half expecting to see an armada
              waiting outside. There was no one, naturally. He was still filthy, though,
              and if any one would be "arrested for questioning", it would be him.
              "Perhaps it would be best to leave Ely." he said, sighing as any hope of
              getting new boots melted away.

              > Justin tried to consider his answer to Kaelan while
              > Dante was gone from the room. He'd only met Dante
              > once before and only then briefly. His actions,
              > though, spoke of an honorable character.
              > On the other hand...the thing inside Dante was...
              > "The man...I can trust enough. The thing within,
              > however, I can't. Though its strength is beyond any
              > fiend I've yet faced." At his master's last comment,
              > Justin simply grinned. "A strong one. Even as a man,
              > he is no normal human."
              > Dante came back in at that moment, preventing them
              > from discussing it further. "An escaped prisoner?"
              > He glanced at Kaelan. "From *here*?" He didn't know
              > how the other knew this, but Dante's cavalier attitude
              > toward it didn't extend to Justin. "If he was
              > imprisoned here, I'm sure it was for a good reason."
              > He caught his master's eye. "He may be dangerous."
              >
              > <tag>
              >

              > --- Matthew <evendeth@...> wrote:
              > > Dante went back to his room, noting that no one had
              > > left since he
              > > had. He turned the knob and went inside, "It's
              > > always fun to make new
              > > friends." Dante said, then answering thier puzzled
              > > look on thier
              > > faces, "A man that has just escaped from the castle
              > > dungeon is
              > > sleeping in the other room. Do not disturb him."
              > > Dante lay down onto
              > > his own bed, and went to sleep.
              > >
              > > ooc: Dante didn't know, it was just a general
              > > warning.
              > >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Matthew
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 4, 2004
                sleeping, as usual, had been a bad idea.
                His dreams turned once again to the first rampage of the beast.
                Destroying the entire civilization Dante should have ruled. Dante
                was, in a way, single handedly responsible for the wonton destruction
                of two hundred and eighty five million people. He had lost his
                temper, after the wizard had surfaced again...
                Dante awoke, a near inaudiable signal given off from a disturbance
                in Kaleb's room. he had just returned... He was carrying a new
                dagger, given from it's resonance... a cheap one. He hopped out of
                bed, only having clawed at maybe an hour of sleep. He didn't really
                need sleep, it just helped things sort themselves out. He looked at
                Kaelan and Justin, "I think it's about time you two said hello to our
                guest." He stood up, "We leave at dawn if you are still coming with
                me. I'm going to get a boat." Dante left the Inn and headed towards
                the docks.
              • justice
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 4, 2004
                  Justin nodded numbly to Dante, waiting for him to
                  leave before saying anything. As the door closed
                  behind him, Justin turned to his master. "Where are
                  we going again?"
                  Their guest? If Dante was referring to the escaped
                  prisoner...what had they gotten themselves into? He
                  was sure Kaelan was displeased with him and the entire
                  situation now. How irresponsible, he'd say. How
                  un-Blade-like.
                  "Before we go anywhere with anyone, I need to find my
                  traveling companion," he said to Kaelan. "There's no
                  way I can leave without her." He grinned. "She'd
                  likely kill me."

                  <tag>

                  --- Matthew <evendeth@...> wrote:
                  > He didn't really
                  > need sleep, it just helped things sort themselves
                  > out. He looked at
                  > Kaelan and Justin, "I think it's about time you two
                  > said hello to our
                  > guest." He stood up, "We leave at dawn if you are
                  > still coming with
                  > me. I'm going to get a boat." Dante left the Inn and
                  > headed towards
                  > the docks.

                • The Walrus
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 7, 2004
                    Kaelan nodded briefly, his mind also turning with distaste towards the
                    escaped prisoner. He wouldn't be escaped for long, if Danté intended to
                    bring him. "I agree. Perhaps we ought to go and find your companion, and
                    meet up with our friend later."
                    For the first time, Kaelan turned his thoughts to Justin's companion. What
                    did he say her name was? "In a few minutes," he added, heading for the small
                    washroom. "I'm going to shave at least."
                    Shaving with his sword wasn't new to Kaelan, but that didn't make it any
                    easier. It was like trying to peel an orange with a giant knife. "Who did
                    you say this woman was?" he called to Justin, wondering whether to brave
                    going under his bottom lip, or over the top one.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 7, 2004
                      Justin grinned. Kaelan did look uncharacteristically
                      disheveled. Fortune must not have been especially
                      kind to him. "She called herself Andra," he told
                      Kaelan.
                      Andra was anything but normal, too. Not that she was
                      a great swordfighter (she'd never be a Blade), but her
                      other skills had surprised them both on more than one
                      occasion. "I don't know why...but the name sticks in
                      my mind."

                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 7, 2004
                        "Andra?" Kaelan repeated, his ears pricking up. He nicked himself as he
                        moved, and decided to leave the last of the beard in goatee form, until he
                        had something a little more delicate to take it off with. Surely it wasn't
                        possible that Andra - *the* Andra, had survived after all? He counselled
                        himself quickly to stop being so ridiculous, but couldn't help but prod a
                        little anyway.
                        "How long have you travelled with her?" he asked, scowling at himself in a
                        broken mirror, haplessly nailed to the wall by an inn keeper who was
                        doubtlessly and idiot - in Kaelan's mind - as he rubbed at the small cut on
                        his jaw line. The skin around it turned pink. Continuing to lick his
                        fingers, and paw roughly at his face, he padded out of the washroom.

                        > Justin grinned. Kaelan did look uncharacteristically
                        > disheveled. Fortune must not have been especially
                        > kind to him. "She called herself Andra," he told
                        > Kaelan.
                        > Andra was anything but normal, too. Not that she was
                        > a great swordfighter (she'd never be a Blade), but her
                        > other skills had surprised them both on more than one
                        > occasion. "I don't know why...but the name sticks in
                        > my mind."
                        >

                        > --- The Walrus <beadus@...> wrote:
                        > > For the first time, Kaelan turned his thoughts to
                        > > Justin's companion. What
                        > > did he say her name was? "In a few minutes," he
                        > > added, heading for the small
                        > > washroom. "I'm going to shave at least."
                        > > Shaving with his sword wasn't new to Kaelan, but
                        > > that didn't make it any
                        > > easier. It was like trying to peel an orange with a
                        > > giant knife. "Who did
                        > > you say this woman was?" he called to Justin,
                        > > wondering whether to brave
                        > > going under his bottom lip, or over the top one.

                      • justice
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 9, 2004
                          "Two, two and a half years," Justin said, hoping he
                          wasn't about to hear "the speech" again. <Well, it's
                          worth it--I think.> Andra wasn't some common lass.
                          He glanced at his master as he re-entered the room.
                          "Nicely done," Justin said, grinning, "though a little
                          closer than I would have done."
                          He ran over the things in his mind what needed to be
                          done: investigate escaped prisoner, meet up with
                          Andra, and learn as much as possible about Dante.
                          None of those he looked forward too very much, but
                          with Kaelan here, Justin wouldn't have to do much of
                          the work.
                          "Should we wait for Dante to return or check out this
                          guest for ourselves? If he's dangerous, and if Dante
                          really considers him friendly, we may have a fight on
                          our hands. Which--wouldn't be very good for us. Or
                          anyone else in the area."

                          <tag>

                        • Matthew
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 9, 2004
                            Dante returned a few hours later, the dock being only a short walk to
                            sea. He saw a strange girl and a blue creature heading to wards the
                            Inn, he also saw that he would get there a few minutes before them.
                            The escapee was aggravating, getting up in the middle of the night
                            and stealing.... No matter, Dante had more money than he knew what to
                            do with anyway. He had been fighting to improve his funds in the
                            area, though he had forgotten that he owned the Inn, and most of the
                            shops around here. He went upstairs to Justin and Kaelan, not
                            particularly thrilled with his current choice in companions, He was
                            always edgey around blade masters, they had a flair for doing the
                            over righteous. He opened the door, "I found a boat, I couldn't get a
                            trustworthy crew, so I hope you guys can handle a little extra work."
                            He leaned on the wall, "It's nothing too grand, the Galleons were put
                            on hold. So I had to buy some old millitary klunker. A beowulf class
                            destroyer... Not too big, the man said it'll go pretty fast.
                            Unfortunately they ripped out most of the cannons, it only has the
                            two heavy twelve pounders on the port side. The beowuf is only two-
                            hundred feet long, sorry that they were all out of big ships. The
                            gimpy one was the only one they had left."
                          • demonspawn2578
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 9, 2004
                              Kaleb awoke again, it was morning and he could hear noise coming from
                              the room across from his. It was Dante's room, he was sure of it. He
                              got up, stretching, the robes were a little loose on him, but that
                              was alright. He looked in the mirror set just at the foot of the bed,
                              pulling down the hood, he looked into his own brown eyes, then out a
                              little farther, he would need to shave and cut his hair. His hair was
                              now getting dangerously close to chin length. He shrugged it off,
                              pulling the hood back up so his face was covered. He let the dagger
                              rest in its sheath as he opened the door and walked across the small
                              hallway. Rapping his knuckles softly on the door to Dante's room, he
                              waited in the hallway patiently, arms by his side, head down a
                              little, making a shadow over his face.

                              tag

                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 10, 2004
                                Dante heard the knock on the door, "Come on in." He was ready for
                                whatever might lie beyond, be it a dragon, a Bugbear, a slime....
                                Oh, it was just that guy.
                              • demonspawn2578
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 10, 2004
                                  Kaleb opened the door slowly at the invitation given by Dante,
                                  walking in, he pulled off his hood and looked up and about. What he
                                  saw took him by a little surprise, he saw Dante, and Justin and his
                                  Blade master...not exactly what he had expected. He let a small smile
                                  show, "fancy meeting you here," he said with a little sarcasm before
                                  closing the door behind him. He walked forward a little, looking a
                                  little too natural, having just been reunited with two people whom he
                                  hadn't seen in ages, "so what's the plan now?" he asked.

                                  tag

                                  wrote:
                                  > Dante heard the knock on the door, "Come on in." He was ready for
                                  > whatever might lie beyond, be it a dragon, a Bugbear, a slime....
                                  > Oh, it was just that guy.
                                • The Walrus
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 11, 2004
                                    "Kaleb," Kaelan tried not to look quite so stunned as he felt. Kaleb was the
                                    escaped prisoner? He didn't look at Justin. At that point he was divided -
                                    should he shepherd Kaleb *back* to prison, as had been his intention before
                                    he knew the identity of the escapee, or leave him be?

                                    <add any replies in here :D>

                                    "We need to collect Justin's companion," Kaelan said at last. "And we ought
                                    to split up, they'll be looking for suspicious people in Ely. Four strangers
                                    together would attract plenty of attention - especially since two of us look
                                    rather like escaped prisoners." He sighed, realising he was every bit as
                                    ragged as Kaleb, except that he had shaved and cleaned his face. Which the
                                    authorities would no doubt take as an attempt to disguise himself. "We
                                    should take different routes to the docks, and meet at the boat."
                                    He had to know who Andra was, so where Justin went, Kaelan would go. At
                                    least, he tried to convince himself that's what it was - not a lingering
                                    shred of responsibility for both Justin and Kaleb, from when they had been
                                    under his tutelage.

                                    > Kaleb opened the door slowly at the invitation given by Dante,
                                    > walking in, he pulled off his hood and looked up and about. What he
                                    > saw took him by a little surprise, he saw Dante, and Justin and his
                                    > Blade master...not exactly what he had expected. He let a small smile
                                    > show, "fancy meeting you here," he said with a little sarcasm before
                                    > closing the door behind him. He walked forward a little, looking a
                                    > little too natural, having just been reunited with two people whom he
                                    > hadn't seen in ages, "so what's the plan now?" he asked.
                                    >
                                    > tag
                                    >

                                    > --- In knights_kingdom@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew" <evendeth@l...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > > Dante heard the knock on the door, "Come on in." He was ready for
                                    > > whatever might lie beyond, be it a dragon, a Bugbear, a slime....
                                    > > Oh, it was just that guy.
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • justice
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 11, 2004
                                      --- The Walrus <beadus@...> wrote:
                                      > "Kaleb," Kaelan tried not to look quite so stunned
                                      > as he felt. Kaleb was the
                                      > escaped prisoner? He didn't look at Justin. At that
                                      > point he was divided -
                                      > should he shepherd Kaleb *back* to prison, as had
                                      > been his intention before
                                      > he knew the identity of the escapee, or leave him
                                      > be?

                                      Justin looked up at the "guest". Looked again,
                                      feeling his mouth fall open. "Kaleb?!"

                                      > "We need to collect Justin's companion," Kaelan said
                                      > at last. "And we ought
                                      > to split up, they'll be looking for suspicious
                                      > people in Ely. Four strangers
                                      > together would attract plenty of attention -
                                      > especially since two of us look
                                      > rather like escaped prisoners. We
                                      > should take different routes to the docks, and meet
                                      > at the boat."

                                      Whatever Kaelan said next fell on Justin's deaf ears.
                                      He couldn't believe it. Kaleb. "Kaleb!" he cried,
                                      rushing forward and grabbing his friend by the arms.
                                      "It IS you!" He hugged him fiercely.
                                      "What the hell are you doing here?!" he asked,
                                      grinning so hard his face might break. It was
                                      unbelievable. "I thought you were imprisoned in
                                      Lexia!"

                                      (ooc: [a neighboring kingdom]--he was, actually, but
                                      feel free to cook up anything that places him at Ely
                                      now :-D)

                                      <tag>
                                    • demonspawn2578
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 11, 2004
                                        Kaleb smiled, patting his friend on the back with great relief to see
                                        him, even if he wouldn't neccessarily show it as much. "Long story
                                        short, they got sick of me in Lexia, having escaped twice already,
                                        and so they sent me to Ely, assigned me my own personal
                                        guard/tormentor and...here I am." He shrugged as if it was some easy
                                        feat, then looked over at Kaelan again, "I agree, I think I should
                                        stay with Dante`, if that's alright with him, for the time being and
                                        just meet you both at the boat later on today." He was back to his
                                        old self, he might still look a little ragged, but at least he had a
                                        nice black robe now....

                                        wrote:

                                        > --- The Walrus <beadus@b...> wrote:
                                        > > "Kaleb," Kaelan tried not to look quite so stunned
                                        > > as he felt. Kaleb was the
                                        > > escaped prisoner? He didn't look at Justin. At that
                                        > > point he was divided -
                                        > > should he shepherd Kaleb *back* to prison, as had
                                        > > been his intention before
                                        > > he knew the identity of the escapee, or leave him
                                        > > be?
                                        > >

                                        > Justin looked up at the "guest". Looked again,
                                        > feeling his mouth fall open. "Kaleb?!"
                                        >

                                        > > "We need to collect Justin's companion," Kaelan said
                                        > > at last. "And we ought
                                        > > to split up, they'll be looking for suspicious
                                        > > people in Ely. Four strangers
                                        > > together would attract plenty of attention -
                                        > > especially since two of us look
                                        > > rather like escaped prisoners. We
                                        > > should take different routes to the docks, and meet
                                        > > at the boat."
                                        >
                                        > Whatever Kaelan said next fell on Justin's deaf ears.
                                        > He couldn't believe it. Kaleb. "Kaleb!" he cried,
                                        > rushing forward and grabbing his friend by the arms.
                                        > "It IS you!" He hugged him fiercely.
                                        > "What the hell are you doing here?!" he asked,
                                        > grinning so hard his face might break. It was
                                        > unbelievable. "I thought you were imprisoned in
                                        > Lexia!"
                                        >
                                        > (ooc: [a neighboring kingdom]--he was, actually, but
                                        > feel free to cook up anything that places him at Ely
                                        > now :-D)
                                        >
                                        > <tag>
                                      • Matthew
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 12, 2004
                                          "I have no objections with you coming with me," Dante said, "Since it
                                          is you and I they are looking for." He answered the man's questioning
                                          look with, "i blew some things up."
                                        • The Walrus
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 12, 2004
                                            Kaelan glanced at Justin, wondering if he would have anything against
                                            separating from Kaleb again. Kaelan himself was still torn between the law
                                            of the land, and joy at the sight of an old friend. He reserved himself,
                                            trying not to think about it.

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 12, 2004
                                              Justin stared hard at his lifelong friend. <Go with
                                              Dante?> He instantly worried for him; Dante, despite
                                              all appearances, was still an unknown danger. Kaleb
                                              couldn't possibly know what he was getting into.
                                              "If I'd known you were here in Justice...I would've
                                              come for you myself." He knew his master wouldn't
                                              like hearing that, but laws be damned. No king would
                                              separate him from Kaleb. He threw a fierce look at
                                              his master to indicate his clear intentions to that as
                                              well. "We'll leave as soon as..."
                                              His voice trailed off. "Andra," he murmured.
                                              "She's...here...downstairs, I think..." He blinked,
                                              as though coming back to his senses. "She's coming up
                                              here."
                                              He glanced at Dante; he seemed to take the massacre
                                              earlier just a bit too casually for Justin's taste.
                                              He would bring it up later, though. "You said extra
                                              company--as in more than one?" Andra talked to people
                                              all the time, but she rarely brought them to meet him.
                                              Something interesting had happened to her.

                                              <tag>