Re: [knights_fantasy] Re: How Did Lycanthropes Begin?

  • Justice
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2007
      There are a number of myths surrounding the origins of lycans.  I've heard of the curse one, but to me it seems to belittle their beginnings.  I've always loved Joss Whedon's take on vamp beginnings, and I've been tempted to do the same with lycanthropes (this would also build on the mutual animosity between vamps and lycans that we see so prevalent in other sagas), but then I wonder if it shouldn't be different somehow.  Curse, bite, or evolution.  But could you explain what you meant by your first comment?  We probably aren't thinking quite the same thing.

      J.

      Martin MacLoued <colt_45mm@...> wrote:
      Evolutionary track of canines?

      Curse of a mage?

      --- In knights_fantasy@ yahoogroups. com, Justice <jalbright@. ..> wrote:

      > We all have a pretty good idea what lycanthropes are. Generally,
      they mean werewolves (canine), but I have decided to expand the word
      to also feral shapeshifters (feline).
      > This isn't referring to how the strain is passed (blood wound
      inflicted by a bite). Like all types of hybrids, lycans had a
      genesis. For example, vampires were created by the mixing of Demon
      (Wraith) and human blood. Does anyone have a theory what the origins
      of lycanthropes might be?
      > Setting aside the differing behavior (as human and beast) or even
      what stimulates the change (emotions or lunar cycle), this question
      focuses more on how lycanthropes (as a species) arose.

      > J.

    • Amber
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2007
        Random way out there idea.

        Why not make them primal champions of a sort. Say the original
        lycanthropes
        were wolfs (*insert appropriate animal here*) picked by aura to
        protect that species from various threats, mostly man. So Aurora
        gifted a few of the most noble or strongest, or whatever you want of
        each species and gave them the ability to shift into man as well as a
        stronger version of their animalistic self. The gift was passed down
        to any they bit and as time passed, the true purpose of the gift was
        lost. This would make lycanthropes kind of a failed champion
        experiment on Aurora's part.

        This is out there, but it's early and at least different than per usual.