Re: Are Dragons and dragonhearts immortal?

  • Lindsay!!
    Message 1 of 3 , May 15, 2007
      I would say that because they are bonded that dragonhearts share the
      immortality of the Dragon unless the bond is broken. Also, I would
      imagine there should be some kind of limit to immortality. I would say
      that there must be some kind of injury they can't survive (i.e. major
      organs cut out, decaptiated, some other gruesome dismemberment of the
      body) that would kill a Dragon (thus severing the bond) or a
      dragonheart (breaking the bond). If that made remote sense (I swear it
      does in my head lol)

      Lindsay

      --- In knights_fantasy@yahoogroups.com, Justice <jalbright@...> wrote:

      > I've sort of loosely implied that Dragons are immortal, but I've
      never actually said one way or the other. Here's a chance to weigh in
      and even help me make up my mind. :-D
      > Also, the dragonhearts--the humans bonded to them--share life force
      with the Dragons. If the Dragons are immortal, does this then mean
      that the dragonhearts are also immortal?
      > Yeah, I know...maybe it's a lame question. Still, I hope some of
      you may be interested in giving your two cents.

      > J.

    • Justice
      Message 2 of 3 , May 28, 2007
        Normally, when I refer to immortality, I mean to imply that it's limited in a sense.  Immortal beings will live forever--unless killed (through some sort of fatal injury).  Maybe this is an oxymoronic take on the idea of "immortal", but it seems to me that nothing is completely impervious from some kind of death.
        From what I've noticed with other bonding processes between Dragons and humans (the Inheritance trilogy, the Pern series), humans can survive the death of their partner, but the opposite isn't true.  I don't really know why that is, or if that's something we should follow here.  It seemed like such an incredible vulnerability which doesn't lend credence to the belief that a Dragon would ever bond with a human.
        Still, dragonhearts should "gain" an equivalent lifespan...or at least their aging process should be slowed significantly.  Unless, of course, the Dragon wants to experience the natural death process...?

        J.