Re: What Does Death Mean (in the Context of the Knightverse)?

  • Amber
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
      I sort of agree with Sam but I'm going to add a bit of my religious
      beliefs into it. Every soul has so much work to do in universe. When
      that soul has done the work it dies and goes on to completion. For
      souls that die but have not yet completed their work, they go
      somewhere else, another plane. (A heaven or hell to make a Christian
      reference). When it's time, they are reborn to continue their work.

      This would explain why some people who die are simply dead and yet
      others can be resurrected.
    • Alex
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 25, 2007

        The way I see it, once you die you leave the standard Knightverse dimensions, and either go to higher dimensions and live there, or you leave the Knightverse universe entirely, and live somewhere completely different.

        Also, there are two types of death. There is absolute death, and partial death. (Or that's what I've named them anyway) Absolute death is the normal type of death, and the kind that you can't return from, unless someone else brings you back. Partial death is like being stuck in the Void was. The people trapped there could return once the Demon Essence that was keeping them there was shattered.

        Anyway, the point is that death is a transition into the next and higher dimension(s). It is possible that after death different people go to different dimensions. I don't mean Hell and Heaven type places, but different dimensions, like Halo and Realm, only on a higher plane of being.

        I don't know if this cycle of going on to a higher dimension after death continues, or if it stops at some point, but I favor the former, unless the limit is very far off.

      • Alex

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 28, 2007
            Expanding on what Sam and Alex said, I remember watching an episode of Buffy (from where I tend to borrow ideas) that implied the afterlife took place in other dimensions—heaven dimensions or hell dimensions.  These places existed on a different plane of existence than what we know as the “mortal coil”, and the only way to get into these is to die.
            Put that way, death can be construed as just the next part of the process we know as existence.  It’s funny; I hadn’t planned on it developing that way, but that’s how the religions of the world view death, isn’t it?  Death isn’t the end, there’s more to life than what we see, etc.
            I also wanted to comment on the partial death concept Alex presented.  It’s an interesting idea, but it’s one I never really explored before.  The Void was as “dead” as dead can be…at least as far as I planned it.  If that’s the case, then we haven’t really seen what “partial death” could look like.  Sounds like interesting story potential.
            I would say, however, that once a person dies (in the Knightverse) they don’t go on to yet another mortal dimension.
            As for Amber’s statement about fulfilling one’s purpose…I personally agree that everyone has a purpose—or destiny, as you may call it.  If you’ve read along, you can see I’ve injected that into the writing.  It didn’t occur to me to add that element to the equation on death, though.  The way I understand Amber, certain individuals are more “predisposed” to be resurrected (or recycled, perhaps?) if their destiny is not yet achieved.  The idea of a final final resting place (or completion, as Amber called it) is one that appeals to me a great deal.  Otherwise some people could be brought back repeatedly, which doesn’t seem all that “fair” or even efficient to me.
            As an afterthought, does anyone believe that this idea of afterlife-dimensions cheapens the concept of death?  In the real world, we see death as something that can’t be reversed, nullified, or fixed.  In the Knightverse, there’s a potential to change things.  If this does, in fact, reduce the significance of death, does anyone have any thoughts on how we might overcome that?

            J.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
              I'm not sure about the Void, and how dead the ones in it were, but I
              have an idea. They were as dead as anyone else who died, but somehow
              they were able to come back. So perhaps they themselves were completely
              dead, but the barriers between the wherever the dead go, and the regular
              'mortal coil' were weakened there, and that is why they could return.

              Death does feel less significant in the Knightverse because people can
              be ressurected. However, it doesn't really cheapen anything, because
              only a few get to come back, while most others go on to wherever the
              next phase of their "life" is. The best way to get around the small
              problem created by this is not to have many people be resurrected, and
              or have the ones that are resurrected come back only for a limited time.
              And the after-life dimensions don't make death less significant at all,
              because once you die, you're gone from your home dimension and can no
              longer help or see the people that you know there, or even go back
              there.

              Anyway, I'm out of things to say, but I want to add that I like the idea
              about destiny and some people being more likely to be ressurected to
              fulfill their destinies.