Deer foot

  • padensposse
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 29, 2004
      From: "klyntun" <klyntun@y...>
      Date: Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:32 pm
      Subject: Robert Klaas knife
      I have a knife from the late 1940's/1950's. The blade is marked
      Robert Klaas and Soligen. The blade is approx. 4", knife about 9"
      total. It has a natural deer foot handle. The leather sheath is
      marked Storch Messer. The knife and sheath are both in excellent
      condition. Does anyone have any information on this knife, including
      possible value?
      Thanks.

      ---------------------------
      Mainly made for export (to US and west) In the 1980's they were
      about $15-$30. ROBERT KLASS (KISSING CRANE) has been making cutlery
      from 1834 to current. Many of the DEER FOOT knives brought into this
      country were the inexpensive variety for ther most part. KLASS
      cutlery is usually a cut above and is a collectible product. These
      were also made in a folding pattern as well. The leather sheath is
      usually thin (export quality) as compared to domestic wares which
      most notably have green colored leather somewhere and is heavier
      stock. Many English sheaths are thin as well that were exported.

      After the WWII ended, a bunch of 'sporting' knives were imported at
      bargin prices. GI's remembered the knive they saw in europe and
      recognized the patterns and purchased them. Usually they were of
      tool steel (carbon steel) and tarnished easily. Some came chrome
      plated and the Japaneese produced stainless steel of poor quality.

      Since you didn't mention the word "GERMANY" being on the blade, it
      may be a domestic knife and not an export variety and made prior to
      the 2nd WW. Hope this helps.
    • padensposse
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
        --- In knifecollectors@yahoogroups.com, "padensposse" <dabl@d...>
        wrote:
        > From: "klyntun" <klyntun@y...>
        > Date: Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:32 pm
        > Subject: Robert Klaas knife
        > I have a knife from the late 1940's/1950's. The blade is marked
        > Robert Klaas and Soligen. The blade is approx. 4", knife about 9"
        > total. It has a natural deer foot handle. The leather sheath is
        > marked Storch Messer. The knife and sheath are both in excellent
        > condition. Does anyone have any information on this knife, including
        > possible value?
        > Thanks.
        >
        > ---------------------------
        > Mainly made for export (to US and west) In the 1980's they were
        > about $15-$30. ROBERT KLASS (KISSING CRANE) has been making
        cutlery
        > from 1834 to current. Many of the DEER FOOT knives brought into
        this
        > country were the inexpensive variety for ther most part. KLASS
        > cutlery is usually a cut above and is a collectible product. These
        > were also made in a folding pattern as well. The leather sheath is
        > usually thin (export quality) as compared to domestic wares which
        > most notably have green colored leather somewhere and is heavier
        > stock. Many English sheaths are thin as well that were exported.
        >
        > After the WWII ended, a bunch of 'sporting' knives were imported at
        > bargin prices. GI's remembered the knive they saw in europe and
        > recognized the patterns and purchased them. Usually they were of
        > tool steel (carbon steel) and tarnished easily. Some came chrome
        > plated and the Japaneese produced stainless steel of poor quality.
        >
        > Since you didn't mention the word "GERMANY" being on the blade, it
        > may be a domestic knife and not an export variety and made prior to
        > the 2nd WW. Hope this helps.

        If you have a recent Smokey Mountain Knife Works catalog, there is a
        German made deer foot hunting knife on sale for under $20 I believe.