NOW: The Omer Project, This Week: Sea Chanties

  • Yeashore Community
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2013
      Dear Friends,
      The Yeashore Community invites all ye ashore to join us THIS Saturday night, April 6, 2013 at 7:30 p.m. for a Chanty Sing with the National Park Service, after Havdalah!  We will gather by the Hyde Street Historic Pier at Hyde and Jefferson Streets in S.F. (Maps and details at yeashore.org)

      The Yeashore Community is very proud to participate in The Omer Project.  The information about the ongoing event is below.  We hope you will join us, since We all Count.  The website is: TheOmerProject.org for full details and a schedule. Read the article in the j. weekly: http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/68179/group-gathering-on-s.f.-avenues-to-count-the-omer/

      The 18th Bonfire season begins in May!!

      ===== The Omer Project =====

      Join The Omer Project, as we gather to count the Omer on different street corners in the Sunset and Richmond districts of San Francisco. There are 49 numbered streets in those neighborhoods, in perfect correspondence to the 49 days of counting the Omer. (Was G-d on the City Planning Commission, or what?) As if that’s not cool enough, the Torah has been symbolically compared to the ocean, and Torah scholars have been compared to the fish in the sea. So we will count our way through the Avenues, each week getting closer to the ocean, until the holiday of Shavuot. We will gather in community and at synagogues in the Sunset and Richmond districts. We will count the Omer at the numbered avenue that corresponds with the particular Omer day, working our way from the smaller to larger numbers as the weeks progress.

      Rain or shine... We all Count!

      The Omer Project is all about bringing people together and emphasizing the message that we all count. To show that Congregations Count, we are gathering at synagogues throughout the Sunset and Richmond districts. To show that Community Counts, we will join together to learn a new spiritual quality each week. To show that Individuals Count, we will offer a punch card and information sheet for you to count the Omer on your own, between our gatherings.

      ...Be Seeing You...Maggid Raja Anderson...