Softwareprotocol KH930 to/from FB100

  • hollimaus
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2005
      Hi John,

      do you exactly know the software-handshaking-protocol between the KM
      an the fb100?

      I have connected my KM with the fb100. With this/my 'handmade'-cable
      I have also the posibility to read (monitor) the transmit and
      receive data.

      If I start the code 550 on KM (format) the following Hex-Code will
      be send to the FB100:

      5A 5A 08 00 F7 0D 46 35 0D

      Then the FB100 will send the following code back as a response to
      the KM:

      43 31 30 30 30 30 30 30

      At the end of the formatting the FB100 will send:

      30 30 34 46 30 34 30 30

      If I compare these codes with the 'normal' codes for the fb100/pdd1,
      I couldn't find them. So I was searching in the internet for a
      service manual for the diskdrive. I've found it :-)

      In this book is written, that this code is called FDC-Emulation?!
      A posibility to write directly the data in the sectors of the disk.
      I think this is difficult and dangerous!?.

      But if I will connect the KM directly to my pc, I must know and
      practice this protocol. Are my reflections correct?

      Greetings Holger
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2005
        --- hollimaus <Holger.Schefczik@...> wrote:

        > Hi John,
        >
        > do you exactly know the
        > software-handshaking-protocol between the KM
        > an the fb100?

        Yes, there is a PDF in the Files section that covers
        the protocol.

        > I have connected my KM with the fb100. With this/my
        > 'handmade'-cable
        > I have also the posibility to read (monitor) the
        > transmit and
        > receive data.
        >
        > If I start the code 550 on KM (format) the following
        > Hex-Code will
        > be send to the FB100:
        >
        > 5A 5A 08 00 F7 0D 46 35 0D

        That's two commands. The first is a File-Mode escape
        to get into FDC-Emulation mode. The next 4 bytes is
        the first FDC-Emulation mode command.

        > Then the FB100 will send the following code back as
        > a response to
        > the KM:
        >
        > 43 31 30 30 30 30 30 30
        >
        > At the end of the formatting the FB100 will send:
        >
        > 30 30 34 46 30 34 30 30
        >
        > If I compare these codes with the 'normal' codes for
        > the fb100/pdd1,
        > I couldn't find them. So I was searching in the
        > internet for a
        > service manual for the diskdrive. I've found it :-)

        If it's different from what I uploaded, please add it
        to the file section.

        > In this book is written, that this code is called
        > FDC-Emulation?!

        Yes. The KM's talk to the disk drive in FDC-Emulation
        mode exclusively. The file-mode is only used on
        certain Tandy and TRS-80 laptops.

        > A posibility to write directly the data in the
        > sectors of the disk.
        > I think this is difficult and dangerous!?.

        Neither difficult nor dangerous. It's just the way it
        works. I have some GForth code that does it but I want
        to rewrite it in C.

        > But if I will connect the KM directly to my pc, I
        > must know and
        > practice this protocol. Are my reflections correct?

        Yes.

        http://my.yahoo.com