Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Brother Electronic knitter

Expand Messages
  • mikezcnc
    I posted this message on few knitting yahoo forums. Spread the word around, if you will. It cannot be THAT hard. I purchased a KH-940 and am looking for all
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      I posted this message on few knitting yahoo forums. Spread the word
      around, if you will. It cannot be THAT hard.


      I purchased a KH-940 and am looking for all information how to
      connect a fine creation from Brother to a computer.

      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kminternals/ I found this group
      yesterday and it is a platform where we will talk about making it
      happen.

      What is needed is an electrical interface specification, ie anything
      what would allow us to connect a computer to an electronic Brother
      machine. Schematics, protocols, anything. Jim, the owner of that
      group already psoted some valuable information. I am new to the hobby
      and new to knitting machines but I find them fascinating. i also
      believe that DAK (Design-a-knit' is WAY overpriced for the type of
      hobby. Then it requires an expansive cable ($100 but I am not sure if
      it does, maybe the cable is for something else).
      I think that with the amount of people reading this message, we have
      a greater chance of coming up with a less expensive option to conenct
      a knitter to a PC.

      Are there any other prgrams conencting a brother knitter to a PC?

      If someone uses a DAK, could you tell us if it uses a parallel or a
      serial port on a computer? Is this a specialized cable bought for
      $100, or is it a standard parallel printer cable? or if it is a
      specialized cable did it come with that program?

      Do you have an electrical schematic for the elctronic Brother?
      Every bit helps.

      Mike
    • jhogerhuis
      ... Note: name s John, and Yahoo owns the group by any reasonable definition, I m just the creator and lenient/benevolent moderator :-) ... hobby ... if DAK
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2004
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, "mikezcnc" <eemikez@c...> wrote:
        >
        > what would allow us to connect a computer to an electronic Brother

        > machine. Schematics, protocols, anything. Jim, the owner of that


        Note: name's John, and Yahoo "owns" the group by any reasonable
        definition, I'm just the creator and lenient/benevolent
        moderator :-)

        > group already psoted some valuable information. I am new to the
        hobby
        > and new to knitting machines but I find them fascinating. i also
        > believe that DAK (Design-a-knit' is WAY overpriced for the type of

        > hobby. Then it requires an expansive cable ($100 but I am not sure
        if

        DAK is probably a bit overpriced, which a monopoly can get you,
        *but* we don't need any enemies. This information/code/whatever we
        come up with is for everybody, including them. I'm not sure if
        they've completely ferreted out the data format themselves. If they
        can get some use out of some detail we come up with, great. If they
        want to help, that would be great too, but I'm not holding my
        breath.

        But hopefully we don't look at them as an enemy. The provide the
        leading product in the category, for such an old machine I'd say
        mk's are lucky to have a commercial supporter.

        That said, no one is guaranteed a monopoly on protocol information
        (unless it's somehow patented). So I believe we are free to go as
        deep here as we like.

        > If someone uses a DAK, could you tell us if it uses a parallel or
        a
        > serial port on a computer? Is this a specialized cable bought for
        > $100, or is it a standard parallel printer cable? or if it is a
        > specialized cable did it come with that program?

        Well for "follow along" type knitting I think you need to use the
        optical interface. But for sending/receiving patterns you use the
        serial interface.
      • mikezcnc
        for follow along type knitting I think you need to use the optical interface. But for sending/receiving patterns you use the serial interface What do you
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2004
        • 0 Attachment
          "for "follow along" type knitting I think you need to use the
          optical interface. But for sending/receiving patterns you use the
          serial interface"


          What do you mean by saying 'follow along type knitting'?
          I would want an optical buffer (interface) so not to blast something
          in a old knitter.

          And yes, I found out they are using a serial interface or a USB.

          as far as patents, they expire after what? 15 years, so I am sure
          they are all history.

          There is a PDA yahoo group for knitting, I asked for an access but
          dwasn't waved in yet. What is that group about?

          Mike


          --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, "jhogerhuis" <jhoger@p...> wrote:
          >
          > --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, "mikezcnc" <eemikez@c...>
          wrote:
          > >
          > > what would allow us to connect a computer to an electronic
          Brother
          >
          > > machine. Schematics, protocols, anything. Jim, the owner of
          that
          >
          >
          > Note: name's John, and Yahoo "owns" the group by any reasonable
          > definition, I'm just the creator and lenient/benevolent
          > moderator :-)
          >
          > > group already psoted some valuable information. I am new to the
          > hobby
          > > and new to knitting machines but I find them fascinating. i
          also
          > > believe that DAK (Design-a-knit' is WAY overpriced for the type
          of
          >
          > > hobby. Then it requires an expansive cable ($100 but I am not
          sure
          > if
          >
          > DAK is probably a bit overpriced, which a monopoly can get you,
          > *but* we don't need any enemies. This information/code/whatever we
          > come up with is for everybody, including them. I'm not sure if
          > they've completely ferreted out the data format themselves. If
          they
          > can get some use out of some detail we come up with, great. If
          they
          > want to help, that would be great too, but I'm not holding my
          > breath.
          >
          > But hopefully we don't look at them as an enemy. The provide the
          > leading product in the category, for such an old machine I'd say
          > mk's are lucky to have a commercial supporter.
          >
          > That said, no one is guaranteed a monopoly on protocol information
          > (unless it's somehow patented). So I believe we are free to go as
          > deep here as we like.
          >
          > > If someone uses a DAK, could you tell us if it uses a parallel
          or
          > a
          > > serial port on a computer? Is this a specialized cable bought
          for
          > > $100, or is it a standard parallel printer cable? or if it is a
          > > specialized cable did it come with that program?
          >
          > Well for "follow along" type knitting I think you need to use the
          > optical interface. But for sending/receiving patterns you use the
          > serial interface.
        • John R. Hogerhuis
          ... What do you mean by saying follow along type knitting ? ... Not completely sure since I haven t tried it, but there s an optical cable that comes with
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 29, 2004
          • 0 Attachment
            On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 11:19, mikezcnc wrote:
            > "for "follow along" type knitting I think you need to use the
            > optical interface. But for sending/receiving patterns you use the
            > serial interface"
            What do you mean by saying 'follow along type knitting'?
            >
            Not completely sure since I haven't tried it, but there's an optical
            cable that comes with Bitknitter, and connects between it and km, that I
            think is supposed to allow some kind of interactive knitting/feedback so
            the pattern on the computer screen scrolls along with what you are
            knitting.

            > And yes, I found out they are using a serial interface or a USB.
            >
            > as far as patents, they expire after what? 15 years, so I am sure
            > they are all history.

            Yeah I'm not too worried about it. As a software developer it is never
            advisable to attempt doing one's own patent research anyway since
            willful violation of a patent opens the possibility of triple damages.

            > There is a PDA yahoo group for knitting, I asked for an access but
            > dwasn't waved in yet. What is that group about?

            What's the name of the group? Haven't seen it.

            -- John.
          • mikezcnc
            What is a Bitknitter? The name of that group is KnitPUG so far they dod not wave me in. Mike ... that I ... knitting/feedback so ... sure ... never ...
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 29, 2004
            • 0 Attachment
              What is a Bitknitter?

              The name of that group is KnitPUG so far they dod not wave me in.

              Mike


              --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, "John R. Hogerhuis" <jhoger@p...>
              wrote:
              > On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 11:19, mikezcnc wrote:
              > > "for "follow along" type knitting I think you need to use the
              > > optical interface. But for sending/receiving patterns you use the
              > > serial interface"
              > What do you mean by saying 'follow along type knitting'?
              > >
              > Not completely sure since I haven't tried it, but there's an optical
              > cable that comes with Bitknitter, and connects between it and km,
              that I
              > think is supposed to allow some kind of interactive
              knitting/feedback so
              > the pattern on the computer screen scrolls along with what you are
              > knitting.
              >
              > > And yes, I found out they are using a serial interface or a USB.
              > >
              > > as far as patents, they expire after what? 15 years, so I am
              sure
              > > they are all history.
              >
              > Yeah I'm not too worried about it. As a software developer it is
              never
              > advisable to attempt doing one's own patent research anyway since
              > willful violation of a patent opens the possibility of triple
              damages.
              >
              > > There is a PDA yahoo group for knitting, I asked for an access
              but
              > > dwasn't waved in yet. What is that group about?
              >
              > What's the name of the group? Haven't seen it.
              >
              > -- John.
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.