Re: [kminternals] Hello, I'm a new member of this group

  • Holger.Schefczik@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
      Hello John, thanks for the welcome.

      Here some facts of me and my experience about knitting, kh930 and so on....

      I have a kh930, a fb100 disk drive and a ppd. Since November last year I am looking for a possibility to connect my km with my pc. I found several Information in the internet and so I began to work.

      But the solutions doesn't works (I don't know why) and so I begann to built my own cable to connect the pc with the fb100. The cable had a TTL to CMOS-converter and a nor-gatter to convert rx and tx from +5V to ground an back. It's expensive, but it works good. Then I found a software, based on basic, in the internet for the communication between pc and fb100. The software is called sector2. I had to adapt the software for my system and it also works for 80%. So, now I am able to give instructions to the fb100 and get back the (error) level/codes. At next I will save a simple pattern from km to the disk and then I will try to read the data from the disk into the pc for analyse. I think your analyse will help me. If someone wants the layout and the software, I can put them here into the group.

      In the next time I will directly connect the pc to the kh930, because I want to save the pattern directly on the pc. Perhaps I will have the possibility to send pattern by eMail to friends and so an.

      DAK and the necessary cable is much to expensive for, therefor I will create it by myself.

      To connect a palm or pocketpc with the km is a very good Idea. I hope I can help in next time, although I am not a professional.

      Greetings Holger
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
        On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 12:09, Holger.Schefczik@... wrote:
        > Hello John, thanks for the welcome.
        >
        > Here some facts of me and my experience about knitting, kh930 and so
        > on....
        >
        > I have a kh930, a fb100 disk drive and a ppd. Since November last year
        > I am looking for a possibility to connect my km with my pc. I found
        > several Information in the internet and so I began to work.
        >
        > But the solutions doesn't works (I don't know why) and so I begann to
        > built my own cable to connect the pc with the fb100. The cable had a
        > TTL to CMOS-converter and a nor-gatter to convert rx and tx from +5V
        > to ground an back. It's expensive, but it works good.

        Other serial cables:

        You can use the serial cable from a Tandy Portable Disk Drive 1 or 2
        (this is what I use). Anyway this cable proves that a unpowered cable is
        possible, though I understand there is some electronics in these cables.

        You might be able to use a DAK serial cable.

        > Then I found a software, based on basic, in the internet for the
        > communication between pc and fb100. The software is called sector2.

        I haven't found that! Could you send me a copy or upload to the files
        section? Thanks! Was this code perhaps for the TRS-80 Model 100?

        > I had to adapt the software for my system and it also works for 80%.
        > So, now I am able to give instructions to the fb100 and get back the
        > (error) level/codes.

        I have some minimal Forth code that does this too.

        > At next I will save a simple pattern from km to the disk and then I
        > will try to read the data from the disk into the pc for analyse. I
        > think your analyse will help me. If someone wants the layout and the
        > software, I can put them here into the group.

        That's what we're here for! To collect as much info and code as we can
        to make future projects possible.

        > In the next time I will directly connect the pc to the kh930, because
        > I want to save the pattern directly on the pc. Perhaps I will have the
        > possibility to send pattern by eMail to friends and so an.

        I'd also like someone to figure out the DAK format so that we can do
        conversions to/from .PAT. Unfortunately I don't own a copy, so if
        someone else wants to do that work, or donate their unused copy, I would
        be grateful.

        > To connect a palm or pocketpc with the km is a very good Idea. I hope
        > I can help in next time, although I am not a professional.

        No matter, it sounds like you're capable anyway.

        Welcome on board Holger! It will be nice to have someone to share the
        load with!

        -- John.
      • Holger.Schefczik@t-online.de
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
          Hi John,

          Software: I have forgotten to say, that I have got the software intoshape for kh930/940. I've got this software for little money. The software needs a "normal" PC with Dos, no windows. The software works with no problems: you can create pattern, scan pictures to convert them into pattern, save and print and transfer them to the km or ppd. I couldn't testthe transfer, because at this time I had no cable. in the next time i will try it.

          Is this software helpful for the projects?

          Holger

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
            On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 13:06, Holger.Schefczik@... wrote:
            > Hi John,
            >
            > Software: I have forgotten to say, that I have got the software
            > intoshape for kh930/940. I've got this software for little money.
            > The software needs a "normal" PC with Dos, no windows. The software
            > works with no problems: you can create pattern, scan pictures to
            > convert them into pattern, save and print and transfer them to the km
            > or ppd. I couldn't testthe transfer, because at this time I had no
            > cable. in the next time i will try it.
            >
            > Is this software helpful for the projects?

            Yes I think it is extremely helpful. I could port this to the Palm or
            Windows for people who don't use plain DOS. Also, it's just good as a
            reference implementation for future work. Code is never ambiguous :-)