Re: [kminternals] Hello, I'm a new member of this group

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2005
      On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 02:09, Holger.Schefczik@... wrote:
      > Hello,
      > my name is Holger and I live in Bochum, a city with about 400.000
      > citizen in Germany. I'm searching for a long time for a group in
      > german about knitting, specially the technic about connecting my
      > brother kh930 with a pc. I'm happy to found this group and I hope, I
      > can support the projects, although my english ist not the best ;-)
      >
      > Many greetings from Bochum, Germany
      > Holger

      Hello Holger, and Welcome.

      Glad to have you on the list.

      The focus here at the moment is to figure out the data format the KH930
      uses to save/load patterns to the disk drive.

      I have a good start on it, and I'm hoping some other engineer types will
      pitch in. I do not know what level you wish to particpate at, but any
      help is appreciated.

      If you are just looking for general knitting machine information, you
      should also join the knittingmachines@yahoogroups.com

      -- John.
    • Holger.Schefczik@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
        Hello John, thanks for the welcome.

        Here some facts of me and my experience about knitting, kh930 and so on....

        I have a kh930, a fb100 disk drive and a ppd. Since November last year I am looking for a possibility to connect my km with my pc. I found several Information in the internet and so I began to work.

        But the solutions doesn't works (I don't know why) and so I begann to built my own cable to connect the pc with the fb100. The cable had a TTL to CMOS-converter and a nor-gatter to convert rx and tx from +5V to ground an back. It's expensive, but it works good. Then I found a software, based on basic, in the internet for the communication between pc and fb100. The software is called sector2. I had to adapt the software for my system and it also works for 80%. So, now I am able to give instructions to the fb100 and get back the (error) level/codes. At next I will save a simple pattern from km to the disk and then I will try to read the data from the disk into the pc for analyse. I think your analyse will help me. If someone wants the layout and the software, I can put them here into the group.

        In the next time I will directly connect the pc to the kh930, because I want to save the pattern directly on the pc. Perhaps I will have the possibility to send pattern by eMail to friends and so an.

        DAK and the necessary cable is much to expensive for, therefor I will create it by myself.

        To connect a palm or pocketpc with the km is a very good Idea. I hope I can help in next time, although I am not a professional.

        Greetings Holger

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
          On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 12:09, Holger.Schefczik@... wrote:
          > Hello John, thanks for the welcome.
          >
          > Here some facts of me and my experience about knitting, kh930 and so
          > on....
          >
          > I have a kh930, a fb100 disk drive and a ppd. Since November last year
          > I am looking for a possibility to connect my km with my pc. I found
          > several Information in the internet and so I began to work.
          >
          > But the solutions doesn't works (I don't know why) and so I begann to
          > built my own cable to connect the pc with the fb100. The cable had a
          > TTL to CMOS-converter and a nor-gatter to convert rx and tx from +5V
          > to ground an back. It's expensive, but it works good.

          Other serial cables:

          You can use the serial cable from a Tandy Portable Disk Drive 1 or 2
          (this is what I use). Anyway this cable proves that a unpowered cable is
          possible, though I understand there is some electronics in these cables.

          You might be able to use a DAK serial cable.

          > Then I found a software, based on basic, in the internet for the
          > communication between pc and fb100. The software is called sector2.

          I haven't found that! Could you send me a copy or upload to the files
          section? Thanks! Was this code perhaps for the TRS-80 Model 100?

          > I had to adapt the software for my system and it also works for 80%.
          > So, now I am able to give instructions to the fb100 and get back the
          > (error) level/codes.

          I have some minimal Forth code that does this too.

          > At next I will save a simple pattern from km to the disk and then I
          > will try to read the data from the disk into the pc for analyse. I
          > think your analyse will help me. If someone wants the layout and the
          > software, I can put them here into the group.

          That's what we're here for! To collect as much info and code as we can
          to make future projects possible.

          > In the next time I will directly connect the pc to the kh930, because
          > I want to save the pattern directly on the pc. Perhaps I will have the
          > possibility to send pattern by eMail to friends and so an.

          I'd also like someone to figure out the DAK format so that we can do
          conversions to/from .PAT. Unfortunately I don't own a copy, so if
          someone else wants to do that work, or donate their unused copy, I would
          be grateful.

          > To connect a palm or pocketpc with the km is a very good Idea. I hope
          > I can help in next time, although I am not a professional.

          No matter, it sounds like you're capable anyway.

          Welcome on board Holger! It will be nice to have someone to share the
          load with!

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
            Hi John,

            Software: I have forgotten to say, that I have got the software intoshape for kh930/940. I've got this software for little money. The software needs a "normal" PC with Dos, no windows. The software works with no problems: you can create pattern, scan pictures to convert them into pattern, save and print and transfer them to the km or ppd. I couldn't testthe transfer, because at this time I had no cable. in the next time i will try it.

            Is this software helpful for the projects?

            Holger

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
              On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 13:06, Holger.Schefczik@... wrote:
              > Hi John,
              >
              > Software: I have forgotten to say, that I have got the software
              > intoshape for kh930/940. I've got this software for little money.
              > The software needs a "normal" PC with Dos, no windows. The software
              > works with no problems: you can create pattern, scan pictures to
              > convert them into pattern, save and print and transfer them to the km
              > or ppd. I couldn't testthe transfer, because at this time I had no
              > cable. in the next time i will try it.
              >
              > Is this software helpful for the projects?

              Yes I think it is extremely helpful. I could port this to the Palm or
              Windows for people who don't use plain DOS. Also, it's just good as a
              reference implementation for future work. Code is never ambiguous :-)