Re: KM-Computers

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 29, 2004
      I sent her a inquiry, I'll post the answer. That is another question:
      are there any other programs that allow control of a Brother
      electronic knitting machine via a computer?

      That unhealty situation of a DAK monopolizing for megabucks the
      marked keeps motivating me to get to the bottom of this pile and it
      needs to be rectified.
      Thanks to your link to Susan's site, I ccame up with a use for a
      plotter: a machine plotting sewing patterns!!!!!! Do you know of any
      programs that will draw/generate sewing patterns? I could do it in a
      1:1 scale. I also came up with an idea of printing patterns for
      kayaks or canoes- what a day. Mike

      --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, "Kidoodles3" <Kidoodles3@c...>
      wrote:

      > That is also my goal to control a Brother machine by a modern
      > computer and possibly under windows. You are right that the market
      > for such a device in monopolized.
      >
      > Hello John,
      >
      > About the same time or maybe before DAK, Susan from
      > http://www.cochenille.com/index.html had a setup to use the km with
      the
      > computer but has since discontinued production of it. At that time
      I was
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 29, 2004
        I use Susans Garment Designer for my patterns.  The program is much better priced and much easier to use, but DAK is the only program I know of that can be used with the knitting machines.  I have DAK but as I design and do production for a few companies I just haven't had time to play with it yet.  Dak uses the serial port for it's cables.

        wrote:

        > That is also my goal
        to control a Brother machine by a modern
        > computer and possibly under
        windows. You are right that the market
        > for such a device in
        monopolized.

        > Hello John,

        About the same time or maybe before DAK, Susan from

        href="http://www.cochenille.com/index.html">http://www.cochenille.com/index.html had a setup to use the km with
        the
        > computer but has since
        discontinued production of it.  At that time
        I was
        > too new to
        computers and didn't purchase it.  Maybe this device
        will give

        you some more information if you could find one.

        MSGTAG has notified Sandy that you have read this message.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 29, 2004
          On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 07:19, Kidoodles3 wrote:
          > That is also my goal to control a Brother machine by a modern
          > computer and possibly under windows. You are right that the market
          > for such a device in monopolized.
          >
          > Hello John,
          >
          > About the same time or maybe before DAK, Susan
          > from http://www.cochenille.com/index.html had a setup to use the km
          > with the computer but has since discontinued production of it. At
          > that time I was too new to computers and didn't purchase it. Maybe
          > this device will give you some more information if you could find
          > one.

          Actually I do have one of these "Bitknitter" boxes and the software to
          go with it. It just happened to come with my 930. IIRC, the software is
          for the Amiga, so I may need to use an emulator to try it out.

          It has a connection (9-pin din) for the computer and two devices (8-pin
          header), likely the knitting machine serial port and optical port.

          I opened it up at some point and looked at it... it has two chips
          covered in some kind of glue to prevent reverse engineering I suppose.

          Anyone know how to remove that stuff?