Passap download cables

  • mapmsmith2
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
      Unlike Brother which requires DAK or a Brother PPD to program
      patterns, Passap can download directly from a PC using Creation
      software, or WinCrea, free software from Australia. The cable
      connections were worked out and in the files of the Passap knitting
      club. I think they also figured out how the DAK Passap cables work
      too but won't publish it because it may violate copyrights. What we
      need is a Brother version of WinCrea. (It works in Windows and is
      much better than Creation which is a DOS only program.)

      Hope this info helps. Alice
    • jhogerhuis
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
        --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, "mapmsmith2" <mapmsmith2@y...>
        wrote:

        > Unlike Brother which requires DAK or a Brother PPD to program
        > patterns, Passap can download directly from a PC using Creation
        > software,

        Well you can also use the control panel to load new patterns, but
        that's just buckets of fun. Possible though if it's a small pattern,
        or if you have more time than money.

        > or WinCrea, free software from Australia. The cable
        > connections were worked out and in the files of the Passap
        knitting
        > club. I think they also figured out how the DAK Passap cables
        work
        > too but won't publish it because it may violate copyrights.

        Copyright does not protect hardware designs. The only way anyone
        could have any possibility of protecting a hardware design is by
        patenting some aspect of it, but even then the information about how
        to build it is public, and can be posted and reposted as often as
        you like.

        Copyright only protects creative works... books, movies, software,
        songs, tv shows, ... but not hardware designs. The only exception I
        can think of to that statement is VHDL hardware designs since they
        are "software" compiled to hardware, so the VHDL form is protected
        by copyright. You can actually copyright a schematic. But copyright
        only covers that instance of the schematic. If you derived your own
        schematic by looking at the circuit board, it would not be a problem
        to redistribute your own schematic.

        Of course convincing the Passap user group of this is a completely
        different exercise I'm sure. They're probably just "playing it safe"
        but any intellectual property lawyer would tell them the same thing
        I'm saying.

        I'll create a Passap file section if anyone wants to upload
        information on the Passap internals.

        Is source code available for Wincrea? I can imagine that once we
        figure out the Brother pattern formats that adding Brother support
        to Wincrea would not be a very difficult problem.

        -- John.
      • jhogerhuis
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
          I googled WinCrea but nothing came up.