Check this out

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2004
      I got several hints to SHima Seki machine and here is software for
      that machine. Interesting read.

      http://www.geocities.com/rayanusa/software.htm

      http://www.geocities.com/rayanusa/cable.htm

      I am tempted to buy the cable for DAK and do the surgery on it. John,
      didn't you mention that they (possinbly) use an IC in the connector?

      I rememeber mention about a dongle - would that be an IC in the
      connector or could ther be somee level shifting? Mike
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2004
        On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 17:33, mikezcnc wrote:
        > I got several hints to SHima Seki machine and here is software for
        > that machine. Interesting read.
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/rayanusa/software.htm
        >
        > http://www.geocities.com/rayanusa/cable.htm

        Interesting for Shima Seki km's it seems. This cable doesn't look like
        the Brother km cable to me.

        > I am tempted to buy the cable for DAK and do the surgery on it. John,
        > didn't you mention that they (possinbly) use an IC in the connector?
        >
        > I rememeber mention about a dongle - would that be an IC in the
        > connector or could ther be somee level shifting? Mike

        I don't know about a dongle. I know the Radio Shack cable for the TPDD-1
        has some electronics in it, apparently SMT transistors, diodes. They are
        not for rights management as far as I know... I think they are to help
        with TTL<->RS232 level conversion. I uploaded the only spec around to
        the file section, but my information is that in this design the diodes
        are not connected properly.

        I am talking to a guy that was selling a TPDD replacement cable for $16,
        and I'm going to find out if he can make more. Don't spend the $78 just
        yet, I may be able to get you one for a fraction of that (that is unless
        you're buying DAK... if so, you may just want to use a "supported"
        cable).

        Also, he believes that the cable for TPDD-2 has no electronics in it. So
        it's possible some drives will work with some computers with no special
        electronics in the cable. As you can see from the DAK sites, they have
        different cables that should work with different conditions. Probably
        these add power to compensate for problem serial ports that can't deal
        with TTL levels from the KM.