Re: Trouble running PDDemulate.py on WindowsXP (Brother 930)

  • Sally
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 27, 2013
      Hi folks,

      Whilst re-installing my Windows XP laptop ready to take to Maker Faire UK next month I thought that (1) it was a good idea to make sure that the software was working on my machine, and (2) that I should document it to make sure that Windows users don't feel left out. I had written down pretty ropey notes last time, and I couldn't find a site that documented the Windows side of things.

      So, here goes:

      Install Python 2.7.3
      Install PIL 1.1.7
      Install pyserial 2.6 (remembering to run the [setup.py install] command).
      Plug in FTDI cable (appropriately configured, lots of info already available on that).
      Point driver installer at VCP driver (ie. CDM 2.08.28 WHQL Certified).
      Edit line 287 of PDDemulate.py > change timeout=1 to timeout=5 (this works for Brother 950i, 930 may require timeout=10 given previous post).
      Download files from GIT (either main trunk for 930, or 950i branch for 950i).
      Create a CAT batch file, or install the CoreUtils-5.3.0.exe from GnuWin32.sourceforge.net (remembering to add BIN folder to PATH).
      Reboot.
      Test saving blank pattern to computer (I used 1x1 cards = 60sts x 150 rows).
      Test inserting image in to blank pattern, and save back to machine.
      Test using pattern on machine.

      All up and running again :-)

      Happy knitting everyone,
      Sally