Brother KH 940

  • BeverlyP
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 24, 2013
      Hi, I am trying to find out if a part is available anywhere!
      This is the large chip on my motherboard. It is marked "F Japan, 416153-A, MB 88551, 309N, 8846, Z05. It is marked in "#6" slot and has the following numbers around the chip. Top back "80 and 65" Right "64 and 41, Front "25", Left is "1 and 24". I am not very micro-tech educated but I think this is the chip that handles the LEDs.

      My machine has no lights working and is giving a constant alarm at times when turned on. I have checked the battery, and all three fuses. They have checked out okay. I am wondering if this chip is the problem because when I was putting everything back together this chip was so hot I thought I had been shocked by it.

      I was setting this machine up to connect to computer and had just gotten a FB100 to start feeding disks into machine to then download to computer.
      Any help will be greatly appreciated.
      Beverly
    • Davi Post
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 25, 2013
        The MB55881 is the microcomputer that runs the KM. It was made by Fujitsu in the 1980s. It's so old the only references that Google turns up are a datasheet in the Banjo Dinosaur knitting machine project's Github repository, and my message to this group in January.

        Some chips can get pretty hot, I don't know if this one does normally.

        I'd check the power supply, following procedures in the service manual.
        (The 940 is almost identical to the 930.)

        Where are you located? Seek help from an electronics technician or hackerspace.

        --Davi

        On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 8:26 PM, BeverlyP <bpcrafty@...> wrote:
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            kminternals-digest@yahoogroups.com
            kminternals-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • BeverlyP
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 25, 2013
          Davi,
          I am located near Augusta, GA in USA.
          I would like to get this machine going again and found a site that had a motherboard listed in inventory but they have not responded to my emails.
          I have the 930 manual and have used it to confirm battery and fuses ok and the power source is ok.
          The manual does not have my particular problem listed, that I can find anyway.
          I am getting a constant alarm when machine is turned on. Sometimes it starts after a few delayed beeps and sometimes it starts right away. So far responses from the lists I have posted to no one has come up with a reason for this issue.
          It is hard to run any of the troubleshooting guides when you have no lights!
          If Microcomputer MB55881 runs the KM maybe it should be hot like you state. I hope so since getting this chip replace is a big NO!

          Guess I will start shopping for a new (old) machine and hope I can find one that I can afford at this point. Prices have doubled and tripled since I started on this adventure a few years back!
          Thanks for responding and offering up your information,
          Beverly

          --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, Davi Post <post@...> wrote:

          > The MB55881 is the microcomputer that runs the KM. It was made by Fujitsu
          > in the 1980s. It's so old the only references that Google turns up are a
          > datasheet in the Banjo Dinosaur knitting machine project's Github
          > repository, and my message to this group in January.
          >
          > Some chips can get pretty hot, I don't know if this one does normally.
          >
          > I'd check the power supply, following procedures in the service manual.
          > (The 940 is almost identical to the 930.)
          > knitting_machine/docs/manuals/CD-47.Brother.KH930.Service.pdf at master ·
          > adafruit/knitting_machine ·
          > GitHub<https://github.com/adafruit/knitting_machine/blob/master/docs/manuals/CD-47.Brother.KH930.Service.pdf>
          > (click
          > Raw to download)
          >
          > Where are you located? Seek help from an electronics technician or
          > hackerspace.
          >
          > --Davi
          >

          > On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 8:26 PM, BeverlyP <bpcrafty@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi, I am trying to find out if a part is available anywhere!
          > > This is the large chip on my motherboard. It is marked "F Japan, 416153-A,
          > > MB 88551, 309N, 8846, Z05. It is marked in "#6" slot and has the following
          > > numbers around the chip. Top back "80 and 65" Right "64 and 41, Front "25",
          > > Left is "1 and 24". I am not very micro-tech educated but I think this is
          > > the chip that handles the LEDs.
          > >
          > > My machine has no lights working and is giving a constant alarm at times
          > > when turned on. I have checked the battery, and all three fuses. They have
          > > checked out okay. I am wondering if this chip is the problem because when I
          > > was putting everything back together this chip was so hot I thought I had
          > > been shocked by it.
          > >
          > > I was setting this machine up to connect to computer and had just gotten a
          > > FB100 to start feeding disks into machine to then download to computer.
          > > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
          > > Beverly

        • Davi Post
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 27, 2013
            The manual I linked to in my message is the Service Manual, not the user manual. It has troubleshooting procedures for a technician to follow.

            --Davi