Brother Super Cartridge

  • rita27612
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 26, 2012
      While poking around looking at DAK cables I found a new gadget, at least new to me, the Brother Super Cartridge for brother machines which use the cartridge (270, 970, 965i, etc.)

      It says it can be used without DAK to transfer designs from the computer to the km and also in reverse.

      Has anyone used one? I found it described at Mike Becker's store
      http://store.dknits.com/pd-brother-super-cartridge.cfm but have not had time to contact him to see how it works.

      It comes with utility software and a cable and a cartridge and is not cheap.....but at $330 is less than DAK plus the appropriate cable.

      I do not know what format the designs are saved as, or whether it could be used with Wincrea which is a free design program. Maybe a design program is not needed with the utility part. (As you can tell, I don't know a whole lot about formats, but I am trying to learn.)

      If anyone has used this new gadget, I would like to hear about it.

      Thanks,
      Rita in Raleigh, NC
    • Fasote@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 26, 2012
        Good Evening

        The cartridge is old news now, that was clearly 1990 technology--- sorry to say. There are cables from Canada that are 45.00 for the cable..

[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            kminternals-digest@yahoogroups.com
            kminternals-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • ILIA KADASHEVICH
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 27, 2012
          Good evening
          Hi R ;)
          can you share this link? to provider in Canada?
          Thanks in advance,

          Ilja (Magdeburg,Germany)

          Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. Dezember 2012 um 01:21 Uhr
          Von: Fasote@...
          An: kminternals@yahoogroups.com
          Betreff: Re: [kminternals] Brother Super Cartridge

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2013

            Hi R,

            nice to know that there are cheaper cables on the market.

            May you please also inform about the storage  and needed software? Where to find and what the approx. costs are?

            Your information is nice, but leaves lots in the dark as it is not comparable to the information package Rita gave.

            Thank you for supporting :)

            Andrea

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 3, 2013
              http://store.dknits.com/default.cfm

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2013
                these are "classic" cables,
                more cheaper to get them directly from the vendor http://www.ibab.nl/ibb/en/index.html
                or make yourself a "hacked" version as described here in forum

                PS i do not fined any $45.00 cables on the dknits site... ;(

                Best, Ilja

                Gesendet: Donnerstag, 03. Januar 2013 um 22:58 Uhr
                Von: Fasote@...
                An: kminternals@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2013
                  Then I suggest you look again and also some manners!

                  Gesendet: Donnerstag, 03. Januar 2013 um 22:58 Uhr
                  Von: Fasote@...
                  An: kminternals@yahoogroups.com

                  The cartridge is old news now, that was clearly 1990 technology--- sorry to say. There are cables from Canada that are 45.00 for the cable..

                  While poking around looking at DAK cables I found a new gadget, at least new to
                  me, the Brother Super Cartridge for brother machines which use the cartridge
                  (270, 970, 965i, etc.)

                  It says it can be used without DAK to transfer designs from the computer to the
                  km and also in reverse.

                  Has anyone used one? I found it described at Mike Becker's store
                  http://store.dknits.com/pd-brother-super-cartridge.cfm   but have not had time
                  to contact him to see how it works.

                  It comes with utility software and a cable and a cartridge and is not
                  cheap.....but at $330 is less than DAK plus the appropriate cable.

                  <
                   span style="color: black;">I do not know what format the designs are saved as, or whether it could be used

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 4, 2013
                    real sorry if you thought i was not polite enough (english isn't my native language).
                    i would really appreciate if you can share direct link to items you mined

                    Best

                    Gesendet: Freitag, 04. Januar 2013 um 13:58 Uhr
                    Von: Fasote@...
                    An: kminternals@yahoogroups.com

                    Gesendet: Donnerstag, 03. Januar 2013 um 22:58 Uhr
                    Von: Fasote@...
                    An: kminternals@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
                      I just checked the dknits website. I see a cable listed :

                      IK cable only (See Note:) KH900, KH965, KH970, KH270, CK35 74.00 49.95
                      Note: The IK extension consists of a sensor cable + a magnet to mount on carriage (a.k.a. knitlink arm)

                      * the 74.00 was apparently the original price and the 49.95 the current one.
                      BUT this cable does not transmit pattern signals from the computer. It is used as an addition to the original cartridge for interactive knitting with DAK.

                      I note that although Mike has listed Cartridge at $319.95, when I click for further info, it goes to a page describing Brother Super Cartridge for $329.95. And when I click for further info on Cartridge plus K-cable it also goes to the Brother Super Cartridge.

                      Apparently the Brother Super Cartridge has replaced the failing original cartridge and the original cartridge plus cable.

                      **************************************
                      The only other item under $100 on the cables page is the Pattern Explorer software for $39.95 and this is not a cable.

                      **************************************

                      Sorting my way through these many cables is confusing, but I believe I have it straight. I have used the brother cables frequently and successfully for 965i, 970, 930 and the SR cable 2 (not successfully so I gave up), the Passap cable for interactive knitting, and a couple of cables by Jos Timmerman (BL7 USB and Silverknit with USB cable).

                      ***********************************

                      Reid, if you come to the Triangle Machine Knitters meeting on Saturday the 19th, I will be happy to speak with you in person and possibly show you some of the cables and how they work. I do not have the cartridge,though, but I do have DAK and lots of cables.

                      Sincerely,
                      Rita in Raleigh, NC
                    • rita27612
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 5, 2013
                        Hi Ilia,
                        I liked the link you provided for cables. I do not know if they ship to the USA, but the prices I saw seem comparable to those from dknits.

                        I liked the cards for embroidery machines too.

                        By the way, dknits (distinctive knits)is in Indiana in the USA.

                        Yes, it is hard to write in a language not your basic one. I am impressed with the communication skills of those of you from non-English speaking countries. That is a skill beyond me. I can sort of eavesdrop (overhear conversations) in Spanish, but as I told a table-mate on a ship, all I could understand when he was talking to his wife in German was that they were talking about the potatoes. (That was the only word I recognized and that was only because we had potatoes on our plates <G>)

                        Rita in Raleigh, NC, USA