Re: [kminternals] Re: About to splice!!!

  • Davi Post
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2012
      You do have to program the cable to invert the TXD and RXD signals, if this has not been done already.

      I think some people may have gotten the hack working in Windows, but I haven't heard much about it. Some have reported problems.

      It's not an easy thing to do if you don't have technical experience with computer hardware and software. We are working to make it easier, but there's more work needed to package and test an application for various platforms.

      --Davi

      On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Adele <adeleleo@...> wrote:
      Davi, thank  you so much! So let me make sure I understand what you are saying. All I have to do is connect the red wire to pin number 3, and tape up the green wire, and I don't have to reprogram the cable? Also is there a possibility that this won't work on windows 7? I have never done any hacking or programming, and I am trying so hard to follow along with this, so is there something I missed about what operating system was needed?

      Thanks again,
      Adele

      --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, Davi Post <post@...> wrote:

      > Hi Adele --
      >
      > As I explained in this post on an Adafruit
      > forum<http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18693&p=139070#p138351>,
      > there is no need to solder any wires together.
      >
      > The cables we are using have the green wire of the FTDI cable (RTS#)
      > connected to pin 3 of the knitting machine. For this to work, you must also
      > invert the RTS# signal when programming the cable to invert TXD and RXD.
      > Our cables do not use the red wire or brown wire -- tape each of those to

      > insulate it from touching anything. Only four wires are needed: black,
      > orange, yellow, green.
      >
      > Alternatively, you could tape up the green wire, and connect the red wire
      > (+5v) to pin 3. You might want to do that if your cable has already been
      > programmed to invert TXD and RXD (but not RTS#), and you don't want to redo
      > the cable programming.
      >
      > You do have to install the FTDI serial driver, and then reprogram the cable
      > to invert TXD and RXD.
      >
      > Good luck! We would love to know if you have success with Windows 7.
      >
      > --Davi
      >

      > On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Adele <adeleleo@...> wrote:
      >
      > > But before I do, did I read there was a way to not have to splice together
      > > the red and green wire. I would really love not to have to do this, just
      > > removing the black sheathing gave me the willies! Any help would be
      > > appreciated. I am using Windows 7 and its a 64 bit computer. I have never
      > > done anything like this before so use baby words. :)
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Adele

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         kminternals-digest@yahoogroups.com
         kminternals-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Adele
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 29, 2012
        Hi Davi,

        Yes I already programmed the cable to invert the TXD and the RXD signals, no small feat for me, but if it doesn't work, at least I can say I did that. :) I really can't believe I am even attempting this, but the idea of being able to knit a picture of my dog on a blanket is too appealing. I will definitely let you know how it works, and if I can help with any further development let me know, but you will have to hold my hand an walk me through.

        Thanks so much,