Re: Trouble running PDDemulate.py on WindowsXP (Brother 930)

  • andy.caslaw
    Message 1 of 14 , May 6, 2012
      Bart and others,

      I was having the exact same error on XP, "Error, write of N bytes when expecting 1024", with N around 900 from multiple attempts.

      I found that by changing from timeout=1 second, to timeout=10 seconds ( or timeout=none ) the problem went away.

      I changed this line in PDDEmulator.py to...

                  self.ser = serial.Serial(port=cport, baudrate=9600, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10, xonxoff=0, rtscts=0, dsrdtr=0)

      I'm using the FTDI TTL-232R-5V cable with TXD/RXD/CTS/RTS all inverted and connected with KH950i. The emulator worked fine on Mac Leopard, but not on XP. Changing the rtscts hardware flow control did not seem to make any difference.

      Caz

    • Sally
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 27 2:22 PM
        Hi folks,

        Whilst re-installing my Windows XP laptop ready to take to Maker Faire UK next month I thought that (1) it was a good idea to make sure that the software was working on my machine, and (2) that I should document it to make sure that Windows users don't feel left out. I had written down pretty ropey notes last time, and I couldn't find a site that documented the Windows side of things.

        So, here goes:

        Install Python 2.7.3
        Install PIL 1.1.7
        Install pyserial 2.6 (remembering to run the [setup.py install] command).
        Plug in FTDI cable (appropriately configured, lots of info already available on that).
        Point driver installer at VCP driver (ie. CDM 2.08.28 WHQL Certified).
        Edit line 287 of PDDemulate.py > change timeout=1 to timeout=5 (this works for Brother 950i, 930 may require timeout=10 given previous post).
        Download files from GIT (either main trunk for 930, or 950i branch for 950i).
        Create a CAT batch file, or install the CoreUtils-5.3.0.exe from GnuWin32.sourceforge.net (remembering to add BIN folder to PATH).
        Reboot.
        Test saving blank pattern to computer (I used 1x1 cards = 60sts x 150 rows).
        Test inserting image in to blank pattern, and save back to machine.
        Test using pattern on machine.

        All up and running again :-)

        Happy knitting everyone,
        Sally