Re: Fair isle and double jacquard/embarased

  • Devav@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2012
      HI STEVE, et al
      Really embarrassed here.
      I have been lurking on this group for quite a while as what you are doing is totally fascinating.  Am totally embarrassed that I am not competent to contribute any thing.  Perhaps I thought I would absorb what is going on by osmosis or something. LOL.
      Got my first computer around the mid to late 70s. My secretary picked it out, set it up and then he told me not to touch it. LOL . Consequently I never learned what would be very useful to me today.  As I could not attend, he went to a charity luncheon where he met Peter Norton who gave him a copy of his first Norton utilities.  I think the computer was something like a 40 or 60 mg, which was considered top of the line hot at the time.
      It was only when I got a computer for home that I  learned a bit about the workings.  Anyway, I am fascinated following along here as best as I can.  Thank you for doing all of this and sharing.  I have most of the machines you are talking about - 2 of  some so if I can help with anything, I would be glad to do so.  However, I cannot say that I am familiar with all of them either. <G>.
      LA CA USA
      3a. Re: Fair isle and double jacquard
          Posted by: "Steve Conklin" steve@... ysconklin
          Date: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:44 am ((PDT))

      I think that the general interest for actually knitting is not multi-color
      or anything fancy. But for the non-software hackers, hopefully I can
      explain why it's interesting to the people working on the software side of
      things . . .

      In order to create and improve the software that talks to the machines and
      manipulates patterns, we need to understand what all the different
      locations within the saved data from the machine are for. Everything from
      the machine is saved - the knitting pattern(s), the current row needle
      seetings, the next row needle settings, the settings of all the switches on
      the machine, etc. A lot of work has been done to figure this out but there
      are still big gaps in what's known about how it all works. So by figuring
      out how things like multi-color patterns are stored, it's very likely that
      we'll learn things which are useful in the general case.

      Right now, most of the work has been done on the KH-930 data format, but
      the more we know about that machine and all the others, the more we'll be
      able to extend knowledge about all of them. This may not make sense to
      non-programmers, but after you've been looking at something like this for a
      while, you can look at a data dump which has things arranged differently,
      and sort of recognize different parts of the data.

      I hope that this is a helpful explanation.