Re: [kminternals] Interfacing to more than just the 930

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 19 5:25 AM
      This is all really great information! I think it's time to create some tables showing which machines have compatible formats and what the other differences are.

      I have suspected that the multi-color programming uses some of the memory locations which are unknown so far, so maybe we have a way to expand that knowledge.

      Also, the fact that the 970 doesn't work like the rest may mean that Cobi's machine isn't broken after all.

      Please feel free to create or modify the wiki pages on antitronics with information that you discover. Here is the base page for knitting machine info:

      Steve

      On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 6:50 AM, Kevin <kevin.blain@...> wrote:

      So I've been working on talking to the KH-950i machine using software based on Steve's package for the KH-930 and things are looking good.

      Over the weekend, I opened up the spectrum somewhat, but adding on a few other devices to the table. As well as picking up a FB-100 floppy drive, I was able to pick up a PPD-110 and a couple of cartridges, including one for multi colour patterns. I also spent a bit of time playing with a KH-970 machine.

      As it stands, using the PPD device, I can create images on the cartridge for the following machines:

      KH930, KH940, KH950i, KH270

      and transfer images from the PPD to the machine - the PPD emulates a floppy drive at this point.

      I also know that the image created for the 950i works happily on the 965, 965i and 970.

      However, the PPD uses at least one other command (M) which is not implemented in the emulator which Steve wrote, so I'm working on adding this is so that I can save directly from PPD to emulator.

      Connecting to the 970 yielded it's own problems, and I didn't have any test gear with me, so was unable to work out exactly why, but the 970 was unable to detect the emulator, so I'm thinking there is a handshaking line or maybe just voltage levels which threw me off - will investigate!

      The multicolour cartridge is quite interesting (Copyright 1994), as it allows a 4 colour pattern to be designed, with a limitation of 3 colours per row.

      The multicolour cartridge works on 1 of 4 different modes:

      1) KH940, 950i, 270
      2) KH930
      3) KH900
      4) KH965, 965i

      I believe this works by using 3 memory rows per knitted row, 1 for each colour allowed on that particular row. The maximum pattern size drops from 998 rows to 332 rows, which stacks up.

      I don't yet know if there's any information about which 3 colours are used on each row, but I have the manual, so I guess I should take a read.

      Interesting times....

      Kevin

    • Kevin Blain

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 19 5:39 AM
          As a rather silent lurker to all the discussion
          I thought I might jump in.
          I could be wrong, but as a long time machine knitter,
          I would throw out the idea that most of us don't care so much
          About 3 or more colors in a row. There are the highly motivated
          Double jacquard knitters out there but what I think most of us would like
          To see is a system that works easily for fair isle
          Or 2 color knitting. This would Also work as knits and purls with the g carriage. Personally I'd be ecstatic to see my computers and knitting
          Machine converse nicely, smoothly and inexpensively on that topic alone.

          Pegi

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 19 6:21 AM
            Totally agree!

            Among all that stuff I mentioned in my other email, I (we) also picked up a ribber and a garter carriage (slightly faulty, but easily fixable) from my Aunt that weekend, and one thing I think I owe her in return is an 'Aunty friendly' pattern loader from her PC to her machine - the 970. Once I've got the 970 talking to me, I'm quite tempted to re-spin the emulator system into a .Net c# project, which I'm more comfortable with than python, and will lead me to designing a clean UI for her to use. It's that or learn python...

            Quite right, in that the two colour fairisle, and g-carraige use exactly the same pattern, the g-carriage having the advantage of not giving all those dangling floats on the back.

            This has to be step 1, as it's pretty much understood now. Multi colour needs to be done in time for my Christmas jumper this year though....

            My personal timeline:

            Then there's the double-bed jacquard tequnique, as you say! That'll be fun, but that's way down the list here....

            Kevin

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 19 12:35 PM
              Sound good!
              Let me know when I can get that all
              wrapped up in a nice hardware/software package!

              Pegi

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 20 7:44 AM
                I think that the general interest for actually knitting is not multi-color or anything fancy. But for the non-software hackers, hopefully I can explain why it's interesting to the people working on the software side of things . . .

                In order to create and improve the software that talks to the machines and manipulates patterns, we need to understand what all the different locations within the saved data from the machine are for. Everything from the machine is saved - the knitting pattern(s), the current row needle seetings, the next row needle settings, the settings of all the switches on the machine, etc. A lot of work has been done to figure this out but there are still big gaps in what's known about how it all works. So by figuring out how things like multi-color patterns are stored, it's very likely that we'll learn things which are useful in the general case.

                Right now, most of the work has been done on the KH-930 data format, but the more we know about that machine and all the others, the more we'll be able to extend knowledge about all of them. This may not make sense to non-programmers, but after you've been looking at something like this for a while, you can look at a data dump which has things arranged differently, and sort of recognize different parts of the data.

                I hope that this is a helpful explanation.

                Steve

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 20 7:48 AM
                  Wow, that's a major screw up and it's been there forever. Sorry about that.

                  I fixed the wiki and you can now create an account, which will be reviewed and approved.

                  http://www.antitronics.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

                  The login page should have a link to request an account.

                  Steve

                  On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 7:31 AM, Kevin Blain <kevin.blain@...> wrote:

[...]

                • Sally
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 24, 2012
                    I've been doing more testing with the code that Kevin edited, and we are pretty happy that the edited code is stable with various different sizes of pattern. Therefore, I have created what I hope is an appropriate branch in the github called 'Brother950i' and pushed up the edited files. I hope that I have followed the correct procedure.

                    There are been a couple of people chatting on Ravelry about using the 965 and 970, so I thought that if the 950i code is shared alongside the 930 code then it may encourage others can try with different machines. We have my 950i to play with, but only occasional access to a 970.

                    Sally