Re: KH-950i - interfacing - Anyone?

  • andyleith
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 9 11:19 AM
      Thanks for the hard work Kevin.
      We have the KH970 so Im interested in any reports about this machine as well.
      Cheers,
      Andy

      --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Blain <kevin.blain@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > able to create a disk image for each of the machines in theory, so perhaps
      > can learn more from this.
      >
      > I'll keep you updated.
      >
      > Kevin
      >

      > On 5 April 2012 21:34, Kevin Blain <kevin.blain@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Cool, thanks.
      > >

      > > Yeah, I'd clearly missed that, but deduced it from what I saw.
      > >
      > > When we try to knit the pattern we create, we get a blank pattern out. I
      > > think the 950i stores everything in a slightly different format to the 930,
      > > so I guess I'm testing the water here to find out if I'm going over new
      > > ground... If so I'll dive in!
      > >
      > > How many nn.dat files do you get, and how many file-nn.dat flies? We're
      > > getting file-01.dat through 16 or 'track1' from the machine, 17-32 for
      > > track2 and 00.dat to 31.dat as track 1 and 32.dat through 63.dat as track
      > > 2, but we also get 64.dat through 79.dat
      > >
      > > The latter group seem blank, but those in file-16.dat seem to contain
      > > 0x06e0 to 0x07ff data containing the machine setup data - though with
      > > differences to Steve's document.
      > >
      > > Worth me detailing it then?
      > >
      > > Kevin
      > >

      > > On 5 Apr 2012, at 20:47, Becky Stern <becky.stern@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi Kevin,
      > >
      > > I can't help with 950-specific info, but the "file-01.dat" thing is
      > > documented in the tutorial on adafruit:
      > >
      > > http://ladyada.net/learn/electroknit/backup.html (last part) &
      > > http://ladyada.net/learn/electroknit/dumppatt.html
      > >
      > > It's a file that contains all the patterns, and it's made by the emulator,
      > > not the knitting machine. Hope that helps a little!
      > >
      > > Becky
      > >
      > > On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Kevin <k.blain@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> **
      > >>

      > >> Hi
      > >>
      > >> Let me introduce myself briefly, I'm an embedded electronic engineer by
      > >> trade, with a girlfriend who has a knitting passion and now a KH950i.
      > >>
      > >> So I've been playing with the excellent work by Becky, Steve, John, and
      > >> others to try and get the thing to talk to me.
      > >>
      > >> Where I'm at:
      > >>
      > >> Reading and Writing disk images to the laptop seems to be going without
      > >> much pain, the PDDemulate python script seems to do its job just fine.
      > >>
      > >> Has anyone actually got it working properly with the 950i?
      > >>
      > >> So far, there seems to be differences in the file contents to what I've
      > >> been reading on the net, which is mostly 930 based information.
      > >>
      > >> For example, the stucture of the 00.dat file looks like it follows the
      > >> structure mentioned here:
      > >> https://github.com/adafruit/knitting_machine/blob/master/docs/file-data.txt#L324but moving on through the doc, where it looks at addresses 0x06e0 onwards,
      > >> I don't see this, tough I see similar data in the 63.dat file
      > >>
      > >> I also note that as well as having 00.dat and 01.dat, the contents of the
      > >> two together appear in file-01.dat - this doesn't seem to be documented
      > >> anywhere, is this unique to the 950i or has this info just missed

    • Kevin Blain
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 10 7:09 AM
        PDDemulator.py is producing files for pairs of 1K block. The KH950i (which has a 62256 32Kx8 static ram chip in it) has 32K of memory, and writes its memory image to disk across 32 1K files. In order to manipulate them on a PC, either the app which plays with them needs to either load in all 32 files, or load a single 32K file.

        Currently Steve's tools for the 930 load in a 2K file (e.g. file-01.dat) - the 930 seems to be a 2K machine - to manipulate.

        I haven't yet played with your image2track program, but I'm looking forward to taking a look soon, it sounds good.

        We're running a set of Steve's tools which I've modified accordingly 'to speak 950' and they are working well so far as we can tell.

        I'll also document and upload what we've seen on the 950i for you guys soon.

        My earlier post had an error, and the correction is as follows:

        "So the 950i therefore has 32K of memory, 0x0000 through 0x7FFF, with the config block starting at 0x7EE0, and the pattern data back filling from 0x7EDF."

        Kevin

        On 9 April 2012 19:16, ayargh <post@...> wrote:

        Thanks Kevin, I'm interested in the details on the memory of the KH-950i.

        I don't think you'll need modifications to PDDemulator.py, unless the KH-950i uses a different floppy drive. (For the 950, it would be more appropriate to produce a file-nn.dat that holds all 32 sectors of data, but that file is only for debugging.) The knitting machine knows how to store its memory in 1K disk sectors.

        Have you seen my img2track program (announced in another thread)? It makes several improvements to the process. I'm hoping to add support for the other models in the 900 series that use the same floppy disc interface.

        Your info will help. Please upload one or two examples of your data to the Files area of this group. (Just file-01.dat and file-16.dat are sufficient for each track 1 pattern.)

        Thanks,

        --Davi

      • Davi Post
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 11 12:44 AM
          I've modified img2track to handle a 32K memory, and write 32 sectors of data files. I'd like to take a look at sample data from the KH-950i to see if there are compatibility issues before I release this version. Looking forward to having it tested on various models.

          I think the 940, 950i, 965i, and 970 all use a 32K memory. (They can store a pattern as large as 200 stitches by 998 rows.) Can anyone confirm this?

          Thanks,

          --Davi

        • Kevin Blain
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 11 1:15 AM
            Cool - sounds good. I'll try and remember to upload some memory images this evening.

            Yes: 32K on the 950i front, and yes: 200 wide by 998 rows. My partner created an image that was 4 pattern cards (each card is 60x150) wide and 7 high, and the resultant file produced was 200 x 998.

            Come the weekend I should have my hands on a PPD which can create pattern data for any of the machines, so in theory should be able to generate an appropriate collection of data for each of those machines you list.

            From what I remember, using the PPD is akin to water torture when it comes to actually creating patterns

            Kevin

          • Kevin
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 11 10:51 AM
              4 files uploaded.

              Kevin

              --- In kminternals@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Blain <kevin.blain@...> wrote:

              > Cool - sounds good. I'll try and remember to upload some memory images this
              > evening.
              >
              > Yes: 32K on the 950i front, and yes: 200 wide by 998 rows. My partner
              > created an image that was 4 pattern cards (each card is 60x150) wide and 7
              > high, and the resultant file produced was 200 x 998.
              >
              > Come the weekend I should have my hands on a PPD which can create pattern
              > data for any of the machines, so in theory should be able to generate an
              > appropriate collection of data for each of those machines you list.
              >
              > From what I remember, using the PPD is akin to water torture when it comes
              > to actually creating patterns
              >
              > Kevin
              >
              > On 11 April 2012 08:44, Davi Post <post@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > I've modified img2track to handle a 32K memory, and write 32 sectors of
              > > data files. I'd like to take a look at sample data from the KH-950i to see
              > > if there are compatibility issues before I release this version. Looking
              > > forward to having it tested on various models.
              > >
              > > I think the 940, 950i, 965i, and 970 all use a 32K memory. (They can store
              > > a pattern as large as 200 stitches by 998 rows.) Can anyone confirm this?
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > --Davi
              > >

              > > On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Kevin Blain <kevin.blain@...>wrote:
              > >

              > >> PDDemulator.py is producing files for pairs of 1K block. The KH950i
              > >> (which has a 62256 32Kx8 static ram chip in it) has 32K of memory, and
              > >> writes its memory image to disk across 32 1K files. In order to manipulate
              > >> them on a PC, either the app which plays with them needs to either load in
              > >> all 32 files, or load a single 32K file.
              > >>
              > >> Currently Steve's tools for the 930 load in a 2K file (e.g. file-01.dat)
              > >> - the 930 seems to be a 2K machine - to manipulate.
              > >>
              > >> I haven't yet played with your image2track program, but I'm looking
              > >> forward to taking a look soon, it sounds good.
              > >>
              > >> We're running a set of Steve's tools which I've modified accordingly 'to
              > >> speak 950' and they are working well so far as we can tell.
              > >>
              > >> I'll also document and upload what we've seen on the 950i for you guys
              > >> soon.
              > >>
              > >> My earlier post had an error, and the correction is as follows:
              > >>
              > >> "So the 950i therefore has 32K of memory, 0x0000 through 0x7FFF, with the config
              > >> block starting at 0x7EE0, and the pattern data back filling from 0x7EDF."
              > >>
              > >> Kevin

            • Davi Post
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 11 9:48 PM
                Thanks Kevin. Interesting, your data has some values I have not seen in the KH-930 test data. How did you produce these files?

                What I'm looking for is data stored with a 552 command into disc sectors using the emulator. Can you try the following?

                Clear the KM with 888, and power off, then on. Do a 552 store command, then send us sectors 00.dat and 31.dat (the rest should be blank).

                Clear with 888 again, and use INPUT to give it the dimensions of a pattern (no need to enter data pixels of the pattern). Store to (emulated) disc again, and send us the same first and last sectors. (Maybe you did this to generate the files you sent?)

                Knowing what values are stored for blank patterns, I hope to make img2track generate valid data for the KH-950i.

                If anyone out there can do this for other models (940, 965i, 970), that would be useful too.

                Glad you were able to confirm that your pattern data fills backwards from 0x7EDF. That is encouragingly similar to a KH-930 (just with a larger memory).

                Thanks,

                --Davi

                On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Kevin <kevin.blain@...> wrote:
                4 files uploaded.

                Kevin

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                   kminternals-digest@yahoogroups.com
                   kminternals-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Kevin Blain
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 12 1:13 AM
                  There's no input button on the 950i.

                  It's got a mylar sheet reader; it 'scans' in pattens on sheets which are drawn at 60 stitches wide by 150 rows high. You can either read into memory, or knit directly from the sheet.

                  Other than that, that should be what we did - what's not making sense?

                  Kevin

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 12 11:15 AM
                    Sorry, I had no idea the 950i was such a different machine. I'm looking at the manual for it, I see it has more complex options for the pattern selector and positioning information. This may be challenging to hack.

                    Can you tell me exactly how the files you uploaded were produced?

                    Does the 950i use the 888 command to clear memory? Can you do that, store to emulated disc, and send the result? I think that will show us the minimal info the machine needs.

                    Thanks,

                    --Davi