Interface cable using flow control - was Re: OK for me to push some new discussion here?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2012
      Alea,

      Absolutely, you can wire the FTDI interface so that it uses hardware
      flow control, and it only needs simple jumpers if you do that. A
      couple of caveats:

      1. Connect the FTDI interface as shown on this page under "Building
      the Interface":
      http://www.antitronics.com/wiki/index.php?title=Electroknit_Serial_Connections

      2. The signal levels may have to be 5V and not 3.3V. I've had mixed
      results using 3.3V FTDI cables. I think it will work. Try it and see,
      but if it doesn't work, that may be the problem. On the Adafruit FTDI
      Friend, you can change the voltage with a jumper. If you're using the
      cable, it's a fixed voltage.

      3. You have to invert the signals using the FT_PROG  tool, same as the
      Adafruit tutorial. Invert all the signals, including the flow control.

      4. You have to open the port with flow control turned on. For now, you
      have to edit the file PDDemulate.py and change the following line:

      self.ser = serial.Serial(port=cport, baudrate=9600, parity='N',
      stopbits=1, timeout=1, xonxoff=0, rtscts=0, dsrdtr=0)

      - Change it to "rtscts=1"

      Currently that's on line 287 in PDDemulate.

      I started a major rewrite of PDDemulate which includes this as a
      command line option, but other things came up and it's not done. I
      hope to get back to this soon.

      Please let me know your results, whether it works or not.