Re: [kminternals] Re: OK for me to push some new discussion here?

    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 16, 2012
      Here's an Antitronics  blog post I just wrote about this, please propagate this to help get the word out

      Thanks, Steve

      On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Becky Stern <becky.stern@...> wrote:

      Yay, so the emulator script should work on windows now? There's also an adafruit forum topic about it:

      http://adafruit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18693&hilit=knitting+machine

      Glad to see movement on this!

      Becky

      On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM, John R. Hogerhuis <jhoger@...> wrote:

      Go for it Steve! That's what the list is here for.

      Thanks for all your efforts,

      -- John.

    • Becky Stern

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 16, 2012
          What should I be reading to learn python?

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 16, 2012
            I will post to Ravelry

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 17, 2012
              Has anybody worked with the kh965i? It's similar, but has an extra
              feature for pattern manipulation.

              Debby
              ====================

              >1a. OK for me to push some new discussion here?
              > Posted by: "ysconklin" steve@... ysconklin
              > Date: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:13 am ((PDT))
              >
              >I did a bunch of work a while back on the data format for the
              >KH-930e machine, and others have been using that work for some cool
              >projects.
              >
              >Lately I've been working with a couple of people by email who are
              >trying to figure some things out, and I'd like to ask that
              >discussions move here in stead of personal email. That will get more
              >people into the loop, spread some knowledge, and record the
              >discussions for the future.
              >
              >Any objections? It seems pretty much like what the charter of this
              >group is, but I wanted to check first.
              >
              >Steve Conklin
              >
              >https://github.com/adafruit/knitting_machine
              >
              >http://www.antitronics.com/wiki/index.php?title=Electroknit_Technical_Information
              >
              >http://www.antitronics.com/wiki/index.php?title=REKnittingData
            • Alea
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 18, 2012
                Steve Conklin!

                How wonderful! I think you're work is great and I, too, have been trying to do your knitting machine hack. I am just at the beginning, rewiring my FTDI cable. The tutorial on adafruit says that it might be possible to include setRTS() in the python code so that the green wire doesn't need to be spliced with the red wire. I have very little programming knowledge so I'm not sure how to do that. Can you help clarify that?

                Thanks so much for starting this forum.

                Alea Khan

                Sent from my iPhone
              • Zack Santoro
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 26, 2012

                  Does this mean the hack will work on the 940 as well?  I had been planning to try & make the cable and follow the steps on the ada site, but then someone had said the hack worked only for the 930 machine.  True, not true?  Is there hope I could get it working on my (940) machine?

                  From: kminternals@yahoogroups.com [mailto:kminternals@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ysconklin

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 26, 2012
                    Steve wrote:

                    "The problem that was discussed on ravelry and in other places was a simple bug in the disk emulator, which only happened on the KH-940 machine. It's already fixed in the repository - I just wish I had heard about it sooner. Months went by before anyone emailed me directly about it."

                    https://github.com/adafruit/knitting_machine

                    Cheers,

                    Becky

                    From: kminternals@yahoogroups.com [mailto:kminternals@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ysconklin

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 30, 2012
                      The serial adapter should work on any knitting machine which worked with the FB100 external floppy drive. The recommended way to put that together is here:
                      http://www.antitronics.com/wiki/index.php?title=Electroknit_Serial_Connections

                      The software is a different story.

                      PDDemulate should also work with any knitting machine which used the FB100. If it doesn't save and restore patterns, then I'd like to know and I'll try to fix the emulator.

                      BUT: The software to change patterns in the knitting machine data only works with the KH930, as far as I know. The internal arrangement of the patterns and other data within the disk drive sectors is different for different models of machine, and only the KH930 has been figured out to any extent.

                      Steve

                      From: kminternals@yahoogroups.com [mailto:kminternals@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ysconklin