Re: [kminternals] Just starting out

    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2011
      On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 11:25 PM, zdknits <zackds@...> wrote:
      > I am just starting out with an 940 electronic knitting machine after using punchcard models for many years.
      >
      > I  am confused by the various interface options, and which ones are absolutely necessary.  I can't seem to find anywhere that maps it all out.  I don't have a PPD or FB disk drive, nor DAK/cable setup.  It is not likely that I will have any of them anytime soon as they seem to be either rare or expensive, or both.

      Ebay is your friend for vintage equipment.

      > I'm running Windows XP on a laptop (ergo no serial port). I am a reasonably proficient end-user rather than a programmer.
      >
      > So, can someone confirm for me that following these directions to make a cable
      > http://www.ladyada.net/wiki/tutorials/knittingmachine/ftdicable.html
      > should allow me to connect my laptop directly to my machine?

      Probably. I haven't built that cable, but it looks like a good attempt.

      If you happen upon a Tandy TPDD-1 or -2 cable, you can use that in
      tandem with a USB serial port or built-in serial port to connect to a
      Brother knitting machine. That I've done myself, so I know that works.

      > Then I need some sort of disk emulator software on my computer? Do I need to use the same one as on her tutorial, or will the one that has the simulated look/feel of the FB100 also work?

      Either should work. Maybe some other members could give opinions on
      the different software.

      > If I program a stitch pattern on a friend's PPD & send it to my machine, I should then be able to upload it to my PC to store it for future use?

      Yes.

      Not ignoring your other questions, but hopefully some others can give
      you good answers.

      Message 2 of 3 , May 26, 2011

        Please check out our site for all your needs

        Regards,

        Kidoodles

        DesignaKnit USB cables & Cartridges

        Be sure to check out the BL7USB Cable for the Brother Disk Drive

        http://home.comcast.net/~kidoodles/

        New Phone # for Kidoodles  574-291-1983

[...]

        What if I want to design in the future (without lugging my 940 over to my friend's house to use her PPD)? Is there design software that will work specifically with the cable & FB100 emulator? Am I correct in understanding that one pixel = a stitch? Will any program like Paint or CorelDraw that lets me save an image as a bitmap file work? Or do I still need DAK? What do you use/recommend?

        OK, sorry, I've probably asked way too many questions. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. :)