Re: [kminternals] External Drive emulation software

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2009
      > Is Python not good for this too? I'm a Perl (and C) programmer and
      > pack/unpack are great tools for dealing with binary data in Perl. I
      > don't know what's available in Python but I would hope something
      > similar is available.
      >
      > Later,
      >
      > -- John.

      I find the pack/unpack facilities in python very difficult to use. In particular,
      when you define some structure for the data and unpack it, what gets returned
      is a long list of tuples containing (sequentially) all elements defined in every
      'grouping' in the data, and not anything easier like arrays of values for each
      grouping. There are some classes written by people to make it better. For the
      reverse engineering phase, I just work faster in C (I'm a linux kernel engineer
      all day, and I almost think in C). Once the file format is known, I'd love to
      have a python app which displays the file data and pattern, but one thing at a
      time. :)

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 16, 2009
        On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Steve Conklin<steve@...> wrote:

        > I find the pack/unpack facilities in python very difficult to use. In particular,
        > when you define some structure for the data and unpack it, what gets returned
        > is a long list of tuples containing (sequentially) all elements defined in every
        > 'grouping' in the data, and not anything easier like arrays of values for each
        > grouping. There are some classes written by people to make it better. For the
        > reverse engineering phase, I just work faster in C (I'm a linux kernel engineer
        > all day, and I almost think in C). Once the file format is known, I'd love to
        > have a python app which displays the file data and pattern, but one thing at a
        > time. :)

        Yeah I used to feel that way about C. Besides whatever paying work I
        find I'm also a hobbyist and embedded systems programmer. But it was
        real easy to get spoiled with the leverage a dynamic language gives
        you and now writing in C feels like translating my thoughts for the
        benefit of the computer.

        But you're doing the work, so whatever works for you is the best approach :-)

        -- John.
      • Sharon Wuerschmidt
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 17, 2009
          Hi Steve-
          As more of a consumer than a producer on this group, thanks!  (I'm sure I speak for all the 930 fans.)
          Will download and try out your emulator when I get back home-
          Sharon