Re: [kminternals] External Drive emulation software

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2009
      On 07/16/2009 11:17 AM, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:

      > Great site Steve! Good to hear you are working on the file format too.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > -- John.

      John, I started with your notes about the location of the pattern in memory,
      but have mostly been finding the locations of the memos, settings for
      motifs, starting needle positions, and where the variation selections are
      stored. I have some ambiguities to sort out before I publish anything,
      but I should have something fairly soon.

      I'm writing a file dumper in C as I go that contains a struct defining
      what I have found. I'll publish that as well.

      I'll keep everyone here posted on any progress.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 16, 2009
        On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 9:43 AM, Steve Conklin<steve@...> wrote:

        > John, I started with your notes about the location of the pattern in memory,
        > but have mostly been finding the locations of the memos, settings for
        > motifs, starting needle positions, and where the variation selections are
        > stored. I have some ambiguities to sort out before I publish anything,
        > but I should have something fairly soon.

        Yeah I worked on it a while back, and got distracted. Let me know if I
        can help with anything.

        > I'm writing a file dumper in C as I go that contains a struct defining
        > what I have found. I'll publish that as well.

        Awesome.

        Is Python not good for this too? I'm a Perl (and C) programmer and
        pack/unpack are great tools for dealing with binary data in Perl. I
        don't know what's available in Python but I would hope something
        similar is available.

        Later,

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 16, 2009
          > Is Python not good for this too? I'm a Perl (and C) programmer and
          > pack/unpack are great tools for dealing with binary data in Perl. I
          > don't know what's available in Python but I would hope something
          > similar is available.
          >
          > Later,
          >
          > -- John.

          I find the pack/unpack facilities in python very difficult to use. In particular,
          when you define some structure for the data and unpack it, what gets returned
          is a long list of tuples containing (sequentially) all elements defined in every
          'grouping' in the data, and not anything easier like arrays of values for each
          grouping. There are some classes written by people to make it better. For the
          reverse engineering phase, I just work faster in C (I'm a linux kernel engineer
          all day, and I almost think in C). Once the file format is known, I'd love to
          have a python app which displays the file data and pattern, but one thing at a
          time. :)

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 16, 2009
            On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Steve Conklin<steve@...> wrote:

            > I find the pack/unpack facilities in python very difficult to use. In particular,
            > when you define some structure for the data and unpack it, what gets returned
            > is a long list of tuples containing (sequentially) all elements defined in every
            > 'grouping' in the data, and not anything easier like arrays of values for each
            > grouping. There are some classes written by people to make it better. For the
            > reverse engineering phase, I just work faster in C (I'm a linux kernel engineer
            > all day, and I almost think in C). Once the file format is known, I'd love to
            > have a python app which displays the file data and pattern, but one thing at a
            > time. :)

            Yeah I used to feel that way about C. Besides whatever paying work I
            find I'm also a hobbyist and embedded systems programmer. But it was
            real easy to get spoiled with the leverage a dynamic language gives
            you and now writing in C feels like translating my thoughts for the
            benefit of the computer.

            But you're doing the work, so whatever works for you is the best approach :-)

            -- John.
          • Sharon Wuerschmidt
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 17, 2009
              Hi Steve-
              As more of a consumer than a producer on this group, thanks!  (I'm sure I speak for all the 930 fans.)
              Will download and try out your emulator when I get back home-
              Sharon